Beautiful Birds and Other Pests

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Last year I succumbed to pressure and bought a large bird feeder. We filled it with birdseed, set it up, and within an hour or so it thad attracted dozens of Chickadees, Nuthatches, Junkos, and assorted other creatures. The birds I mentioned are all fairly small birds but the feeder also attracted Steller's Jays and Flickers which are quite large in comparison. These larger birds could empty the feeder in half an hour and they drove off the smaller birds. I blocked the larger birds from the feeder with a bit of chicken mesh. This somehow attracted the raccoons who emptied the feeder faster than the larger birds. We put a length of round, metal duct over the post holding the feeder so the raccoons couldn't climb up. Now the deer pull the feeder apart and eat the seeds. I'm almost ready to quit feeding these assorted wild gluttons. Any suggestions?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I had large trees on my acreage, so, I tied a rock to a piece of rope, and tossed it up and over a high branch. Someone had previously hung something on the tree, so, I had a spike I could tie off to already, but, I'm sure you could plan something else... I then would simply let the bird feeder down from the branch to fill it, and lift it back up 15+ feet in the air when I was done.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
We have one of those squirrel buster feeders, which close when a large bird or squirrel climb aboard.

No deer in the neighbourhood so far.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
I think it would be cool to have occasional visitors like a deer in the yard.. just think of the fun you'd have watching and taking pictures or video of it??

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think it would be cool to have occasional visitors like a deer in the yard.. just think of the fun you'd have watching and taking pictures or video of it??

We used to have them in the yard all the time when we had our acreage. So freaking adorable. Especially when they wouldn't let you in your house, or would charge you if you tried to leave your house. Or would try to catch your dog to kick it to death because it was in 'their' territory. Awesome little critters. lol.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
We used to have them in the yard all the time when we had our acreage. So freaking adorable. Especially when they wouldn't let you in your house, or would charge you if you tried to leave your house. Or would try to catch your dog to kick it to death because it was in 'their' territory. Awesome little critters. lol.

LOL. Sort of. I heard a lady on CBC radio the other day. The deer were ringing her door bell at 2 - 4 AM. Charming indeed.

Oh and there is this one.

YouTube - ? ? ? ? ?Crazed Mother Deer Attacks Dog and Cat- (WARNING Crazy Video) ? ? ? ? ?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The deer are not very adorable when they've just destroyed Jan's garden or chewed off all the flowers on the fruit trees, ensuring that we won't have any fruit at the end of the season.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Watch what happens to this poor guy!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Joe Canadian posted these photos about five years ago. We haven't yet had bears at our bird feeders:

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
I opened my door the other night to what i thought was one of the cats scratching,to find six racoons looking at me,two of then will eat out of my hand,the rest are still too shy.We get them dog biscuts.

If the dog had been leashed it likely wouldn't have gotten beat up,I don't feel a bit bad for the dog.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I opened my door the other night to what i thought was one of the cats scratching,to find six racoons looking at me,two of then will eat out of my hand,the rest are still too shy.We get them dog biscuits.
What you are doing is probably against the law.

If the dog had been leashed it likely wouldn't have gotten beat up,I don't feel a bit bad for the dog.
What about other people's dogs?

Last edited:

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
What you are doing is probably against the law.

What about other people's dogs?

I opened my door the other night to what i thought was one of the cats scratching,to find six racoons looking at me,two of then will eat out of my hand,the rest are still too shy.We get them dog biscuts.

this was inside the yard you insensitive #$#$#@