Efficient charities

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's been brought to my attention that some of the better known charities have huge overhead expenses, particularly the stipend to the C.E.O.s I am looking for confirmation of this. What is the most efficient charity. I'm suggesting the Salvation Army passes on the greatest percentage of donations directly to charity. Can anyone confirm this?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Salvation Army seems like it would be a safe bet to me as they are providing services which are easily observed on a local level, you can see a tangible contribution to society.

What bothers me of late, is the Hospital for Sick Children and Amnesty International. They hire students to harass pedestrians on the streets of Toronto, wanting you to commit to monthly donations via electronic transfer... ie, like a bill. I have enough bills as it is so that's not an option for me but they won't even accept cash contributions... seems pretty ridiculous and greedy to me.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Salvation Army seems like it would be a safe bet to me as they are providing services which are easily observed on a local level, you can see a tangible contribution to society.

What bothers me of late, is the Hospital for Sick Children and Amnesty International. They hire students to harass pedestrians on the streets of Toronto, wanting you to commit to monthly donations via electronic transfer... ie, like a bill. I have enough bills as it is so that's not an option for me but they won't even accept cash contributions... seems pretty ridiculous and greedy to me.

Yep, I'd cross those off the list.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It's been brought to my attention that some of the better known charities have huge overhead expenses, particularly the stipend to the C.E.O.s I am looking for confirmation of this. What is the most efficient charity. I'm suggesting the Salvation Army passes on the greatest percentage of donations directly to charity. Can anyone confirm this?

I would also include food banks as well.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I am exasperated with charities (say the Home for Wayward Sheep) that send me Xmas cards, tote bags, pens, and bloody address labels by the thousands! I stuff those conscience-tormenting "gifts" in their return envelopes and send them back!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I am exasperated with charities (say the Home for Wayward Sheep) that send me Xmas cards, tote bags, pens, and bloody address labels by the thousands! I stuff those conscience-tormenting "gifts" in their return envelopes and send them back!

Now you got me upset, Spade, just today I sent the WAr Amps (as I do once a year) $20 for scads of address labels- those pictures of little tykes with no arms and legs just get to me.

I would also include food banks as well.

You might be onto something, especially if you just give them groceries. :smile:
Just not delicacies that C.E.O.s might take home to eat.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Is it the pictures or the labels. Would you have contributed without being given the labels?

Don't know Spade, it's been a habit for about 15 years, so when they ask I give. I think they are as legitimately good as anyone.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
In my opinion ...Salvation Army does the greatest good..You can always donate directly to your local dropin centers/shelters....Churchs .Opportunity../Thrift /consignment shops etc..Food bank ...These places do the most good for those in need...

However ...

ALL Charities do more good than nothing ...There are some top notch Philanthropist's out there who do their fair share as well ....

If you don't like to give without receiving ...Remember most donations are deductible ..

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
In my opinion ...Salvation Army does the greatest good..You can always donate directly to your local dropin centers/shelters....Churchs .Opportunity../Thrift /consignment shops etc..Food bank ...These places do the most good for those in need...

However ...

ALL Charities do more good than nothing ...There are some top notch Philanthropist's out there who do their fair share as well ....

If you don't like to give without receiving ...Remember most donations are deductible ..

I had an Uncle - married to my mothers sister - he was much older - Served in WW1 - He told me that when the bombs were falling and the bullets were flying the Sally Ann were always in the trenches providing care and comfort.Others of various Religious Faiths - Chaplians - were not alwys as vigilant of the needs of the ordinary Soldier - They seemed to disappear quite frquently back behind the front lines - I always make sure that I never walk past a Sally Ann when they collect donations at Christmas - never pass without making a donation. To me it would be sinful - some may understand this and some may not.

Red Cross - Never will I give a penny to -

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I had an Uncle - married to my mothers sister - he was much older - Served in WW1 - He told me that when the bombs were falling and the bullets were flying the Sally Ann were always in the trenches providing care and comfort.Others of various Religious Faiths - Chaplians - were not alwys as vigilant of the needs of the ordinary Soldier - They seemed to disappear quite frquently back behind the front lines - I always make sure that I never walk past a Sally Ann when they collect donations at Christmas - never pass without making a donation. To me it would be sinful - some may understand this and some may not.

Red Cross - Never will I give a penny to -

I hear you. :smile:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
My father told me the story about the Salvation Army in the trenches in WWI that he heard from vets
that were there too. He was surprised also once in Europe I don't remember where, but he said they
were coming back from the front, after being relieved for a bit, only to find folks from the Salvation Army
behind the lines serving coffee, and it wasn't that far from the front. I don't suspect he would lie about
something like that, he wasn't overly religious either. He said due to the service he saw in the field of
or during the Blitz in London, he always had a soft spot for what he called the Sally Ann. He said the
Sally Ann was something the boys called the Salvation Army over in Europe.
They have in my opinion earned their stripes, they didn't give a damn who you were or what you believed
if you needed them they were there. I donate once a year, to a few organizations and they are one of them.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Here are two links that might help. One is a link to Canada Helps which lists 83,000 charities in Canada. Just select those you like and make your donation. The other is a list from Moneysense. It lists the most efficient charities using a number of parameters and groups them into various categories. You have to search through the list a little, but it gives you a good idea of how efficiently money is raised and spent.

CanadaHelps - Donate to any charity in Canada
The Charity 100 | MoneySense

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
There was a list in one of the local rags recently that had CEO salaries and perks like houses as well how much or little went where it was supposed to. Of course now I can't find it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There was a list in one of the local rags recently that had CEO salaries and perks like houses as well how much or little went where it was supposed to. Of course now I can't find it.

Rec'd this in an email the other day.

. Charities That Thank You For Your Donation
.>
> Keep these facts in mind when "donating". As you open your pockets
> for yet another natural disaster, keep the following facts in
> mind; we
> have listed them from the highest (worse paid offender) to the lowest
> (least paid offender).
>
> The worst offender was yet again for the 11th year in a row is,
> UNICEF -
> CEO, receives $1,200,000 per year, (plus use of a Royal Royce
> for his
> exclusive use where ever he goes, and an expense account that is
> rumoured to
> be well over $150,000.) Only pennies from the actual donations
> goes to the
> UNICEF
> cause (less than $0.14 per dollar of income).
>
>
>
>
> The second worst offender this year is Marsha J. Evans,
> President and CEO of
> the American Red Cross...for her salary for the year ending in
> 2009 was
> $651,957 plus expenses. Enjoys 6 weeks - fully paid holidays
> including all
> related expenses during the holiday trip for her and her husband
> and kids.
> including 100% fully paid health & dental plan for her and her
> family, for
> life. This means out of every dollar they bring in, about $0.39
> goes to
> related charity causes.
>
> The third worst offender was again for the 7th time was, Brian
> Gallagher,President of the United Way receives a $375,000 base
> salary (U.S. funds),
> plus so many numerous expense benefits it's hard to keep track
> as to what it
> is all worth, including a fully paid lifetime membership for 2
> golf courses
> (1 in Canada, and 1 in the U.S.A.), 2 luxury vehicles, a yacht club
> membership,
> 3 major company gold credit cards for his personal
> expenses...and so on.
> This equates to about $0.51 per dollar of income goes to charity
> causes.
>
> Fourth worst offender who was also again in the fourth spot, for
> every year
> since this information has been made available from the start
> 1998 is
> amazingly yet again, World Vision President (Canada) receives
> $300,000 base
> salary, (plus supplied - a home valued in the $700,000 -
> $800,000 dollar
> value range, completely furnished,
> completely paid all housing expenses, including taxes, water/sewer,
> telephone/fax, HD/high speed cable, weekly maid service and pool/yard
> maintenance, fully paid private schooling for his children, upscale
> automobile and an $55,000 personal
> expense account for clothing/food, with a $125,000 business expense
> account). Get this, because it is a "religious based" charity,
> it pays,
> little to no taxes, can receive government assistance and does
> not have to
> declare were the money goes. Only about $0.52 of earned income
> per dollar is
> available for charity causes.
>
>
>
>
> Of the sixty some odd "charities" we looked at, the lowest paid
> (President/C.E.O/Commissioner) was heading up a charity group
> right here in
> Canada. We found, believe it or not, it was......
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Ready for this...
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> I think you might be surprised...
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> It is, none other than...
.>
> The Salvation Army's Commissioner Todd Bassett receives a salary
> of only $13,000 per year (plus housing) for managing this $2
> Billion dollar organization. Which means about $0.93 per dollar
> earned, is
> readily available and goes back out to local charity causes...truly
> amazing...and well done "Sally Anne"
>
>
> No further comment is necessary..."Think Twice" before you give
> to your
> charity of choice as to which one really does the best for the
> most - or the
> least for the most, for that matter.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Yes JLM ..There is greed/corruption anywhere there is too much money ...

However ...