Ban Trick or Treating

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Increased pedestrian deaths, risk of predation, and general annoyance, all fall under reasons some people and some towns, consider bans on trick or treating.

What are your views? Should limits be set? Bans put in place? Curfews?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Tell 'em to get off their butts and go out trick-or-treating with the kids. It's a blast! I have grandkids. I get to do it again! I have the most amazing Santa Claus costume....

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It's tradition that hubby takes the kids out. One year they were even lucky enough to do it on snowmobile You wouldn't believe how much candy people throw at kids when they know they don't have to carry it all. Only 20 houses to hit, that took the longest of any trick or treating jaunt yet, and the kids came home with roughly 6 grocery bags full. lol.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I look forward to Halloween. On our street we don't get a lot of kids so we generally have quite a few candy bars left over. My slait
of hand gets better every year. I can skim off my favorites like Oh Henry, Coffee Crisp, Reeses, etc.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
we'll have to share trick or treat recipes this year. My sister's Halloween leftover rice crispie squares are legendary. And my candy bar cookies are nothing to sneeze at.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This was my solution last year, to avoid 300lbs of Dogs bouncing off my picture
window as people in masks and such tried to get up my steps like the year
before. It worked rather well with the Kids...but not so much with adults
later in the evening.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
For years, I took kids and grand kids out for a night of fun, there has been 3 years lull in my
going out. This year is different, our great grandson is two and I get to go with his dad to
do a little door to door. This is a fun night. I have an old dead dwarf apple tree in a Christmas
tree stand. We have electric lights and bats and witches and so on and we decorate the tree.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Increased pedestrian deaths, risk of predation, and general annoyance, all fall under reasons some people and some towns, consider bans on trick or treating.

So basically these people feel that the kids should be placed in a bubble so as to not have to worry about anything. What kind of life would that be?

So my answer is NO! Banning it would be assinine.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
no I don't think trick or treating should be banned, but I do like the increased group events that
have been brought about for kids to attend.

parents can do both or pick one or the other, and still have fun.

some people are leary of trick or treating in recent years, and perhaps they live in areas
that would dictate those feelings, so if they take their kids to an event where there is halloween
entertainment and fire works etc., that is good. they and their children can stay off of those
streets that make them nervous.
lots of single moms, who don't want to wander up and down the street in the dark with their kid/s.

there is something for everyone.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

No way, kids have to be allowed to be kids. Of course there should be adult supervision for the little tykes, so there won't be risk of pedestrian accidents or bothered by predators. I guess if an old codger finds it annoying he/she can always turn the lights off and go to bed. Humbug.

I look forward to Halloween. On our street we don't get a lot of kids so we generally have quite a few candy bars left over. My slait
of hand gets better every year. I can skim off my favorites like Oh Henry, Coffee Crisp, Reeses, etc.

If you get any Turkish Delights that you don't care for send em up. :lol:

ToastnJam

Sep 13, 2010
cariboo region of bc
absolutly not , , as a kid growing up halloween and christmas were my two most favorite times of the year ,helll you cant even say merry christmas anymore? what kind of people make this crap up?prob some deprived former kids sitting in an office chair in big city canada!...whats next the easter bunny?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Meh easier to just ban kids. Imagine the fun adults could have if we didn't have to spend money on nerfing the world for the little buggers?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:joker:Oh yes indeedy. Riding herd on grandkids once agin. I get 10% of the take.:blob2:

hey JUAN!!! What's with eating those Hershey products from Mexico??? That's where they went when they pulled out of E. Ont., throwing about 450 people out of work.

Even the jerkoff stores here stock the crap now. How soon they forget!!:cwm10:

It's become a tiny personal crusade to gently remind folks of the greedy corporate idiots who did their part to ruin a few hundred lives. Nothing like the former NEP, or the "big 3" meltdown in Windsor. Just something to be aware of. Or not. Hooooooocares?! Right?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Banning kids from going around getting candy and having fun isn't a solution.

We used to deck out the house with lab skeletons and creepy lighting, etc..... my father used to dress up in a monkey suit and hide in the trees to scare the crap out of kids coming into the property...... one year I sacked two garbage bags full of candy, my brother three and a half garbage bags..... we'd take off about an hour and a half after we got home, dressed and ate..... and we wouldn't come home until midnight. Once we were done around our neighborhood, our dad would get us into the car and go across the county to see my aunts, uncles, grandparents and then loot their neighborhoods.

What more could a kid ask for besides christmas?

And now people want to ruin their fun..... have curfews, only allowed to wear certain costumes..... the masks need half of them cut off so they can see where they're going..... now the proposal to just ban it and no longer have it?

I'd really like to see that happen...... I've already seen what happens when people around here complain to the police about kids playing road hockey and force them off the roads..... I can only imagine what would happen if one tried to ban halloween from coast to coast.

You know what would happen?

Children would protest and protest the only way they know how....... by going out for halloween anyways, only instead of going door to door getting candy that isn't there, they'll turn the entire night into one massive vandalism spree..... ie: Trick rather then Treat.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Banning kids from going around getting candy and having fun isn't a solution.

We used to deck out the house with lab skeletons and creepy lighting, etc..... my father used to dress up in a monkey suit and hide in the trees to scare the crap out of kids coming into the property...... one year I sacked two garbage bags full of candy, my brother three and a half garbage bags..... we'd take off about an hour and a half after we got home, dressed and ate..... and we wouldn't come home until midnight. Once we were done around our neighborhood, our dad would get us into the car and go across the county to see my aunts, uncles, grandparents and then loot their neighborhoods.

What more could a kid ask for besides christmas?

And now people want to ruin their fun..... have curfews, only allowed to wear certain costumes..... the masks need half of them cut off so they can see where they're going..... now the proposal to just ban it and no longer have it?

I'd really like to see that happen...... I've already seen what happens when people around here complain to the police about kids playing road hockey and force them off the roads..... I can only imagine what would happen if one tried to ban halloween from coast to coast.

You know what would happen?

Children would protest and protest the only way they know how....... by going out for halloween anyways, only instead of going door to door getting candy that isn't there, they'll turn the entire night into one massive vandalism spree..... ie: Trick rather then Treat.
Ban Halloween no way. As for the pedestrians they can be be careful, re annoyance suck it up it is one day a year for the children.

For safety of the children here in my town of 40,000 (not too big) our telephone company sends all there service vehicles to patrol the streets from 4pm to 8pm. The children know they are around if they need help. However the most important is the present of the parents with their children.