Men, Women, and Friendship

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Men, Women, and Friendship

Does one gender have it over the other when it comes to being close?

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/basics/laughter

Though sharing defines close friendships, there's a noted gender divide in the way people express intimacy. It was some years ago that researchers documented what any perceptive wife had already observed during televised play-offs (pick your sport, it hardly matters): Her husband invited over his friends and there they sat, shoulder to shoulder, absorbed in the game. After the game was over, they indulged in some armchair quarterbacking, and then the friends left. In other words, men conducted their friendships by doing something, and when they talked to each other, preferred topics like cars or sports rather than themselves. Women conducted friendships by sharing information about themselves, their emotions, and their relationships. Women related "face-to-face" and men related "side-to-side."

These differences are just as true today. My ex-husband could be the poster child for the prototypical male friend.

He's maintained good friendships with guys he met in ninth grade and can talk endlessly on the phone with them about whatever computer game is their current obsession. They can spend hours sharing information about the biggest monster defeated or their new avatar without once mentioning their personal lives, careers, health, or state of mind.

Does one gender have it over the other when it comes to being close? Experts disagree. Barbara J. Bank, professor emeritus at the University of Missouri-Columbia, writing with Suzanne Hanford in the journal Personal Relationships, contends that men's friendships are indeed less intimate and supportive than are women's. Theorists acknowledge that intimacy is crucial to friendship and that talking about one's life (or, as a male friend of mine jokingly calls it, "the dreaded sharing") is more likely to facilitate intimacy than something like sharing computer game tips.

Sociologist Scott Swain, on the other hand, says the male version of intimacy is powerful, too. Swain has coined the term "closeness in the doing" to describe the intimacy men achieve when they do stuff with their pals, be it drinking, backpacking, or rebuilding their car engines. In the mode of Ben Franklin, men express intimacy by helping each other: assisting with investment advice or lending tools. Male affection has been called "covert"—razzing and backslapping, indirect signs of intimacy, may be quintessential expressions of brotherly love.

Can Men and Women Be Friends?

Male-female friendship can be tricky, but both benefit from cross-sex buddyhood.

(the article is too long to put in here, so the link will do)

Can Men and Women Be Friends? | Psychology Today

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Can Men and Women Be Friends?

Yes they can. Friendship is subjective and people become friends for different reasons.

What kind of friendship are you looking for?

Acquaintance?

Casual Friend?

Close Friend?

Best Friend?

There's plenty of other types of friends.

But Male and Females can be friends with the same gender or the opposite. Not all men and not all women are looking for 100% pure "Side by Side" or "Face to Face" friendships/relationships..... and a statistical study stating the average view of each gender is not absolute for every male or every female.

Maybe the reason why a particular female hangs out with the guys is because she likes a particular sport, plays pool, plays card games, and has no interest in sharing a lot of personal-life details..... maybe they just hang around, drinking and joking with one another and that's all that's desired.

Same with some men hanging out with women..... maybe they like the conversation, maybe sports isn't their thing, maybe they're interested in the activities they do...... maybe they work with a lot of women, got to know them better and they just became friends.

Using gender stereo-types like the above study do not give you a detailed view of the bigger picture and make the whole process seem very simplistic.

I have a number of female friends and at one time I had more female friends then I did male...... and I wasn't friends with them because I thought I could sleep with them. Maybe that was their intentions, I couldn't say, but they were not my intentions.

Skatchie

Time Out
Sep 24, 2010
Assiniboia
I try to be friends with women but I can't be. They just don't operate with the upfront nature men do and I am sick of dealing with petty nonsense. I have a female friend that I amdire and respect and think the world of but she doesn't even tell me when she's mad at me for whatever stupid reason she would be anyways, and she'll just ignore me for weeks at a time. I am sick of it. If you can't tell me why you're mad it's probably a really shallow pathetic reason anyways. I've just decided to keep our friendship at a distance now. I used to tell her practically everything and anything. She did the same with me. Then she gets mad over nothing and now I am left to wonder how I may have offended her. That's it. From now on, I'll be cordial but I refuse to speak anymore than just pleasantries with her ever again. I will not be a there for her if she'll just magically on a whim decide not to be there for me.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
and I bet you have gotten mad and decided to essentially stop talking to her, without talking to her about it. I hope you see the irony.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I try to be friends with women but I can't be. They just don't operate with the upfront nature men do and I am sick of dealing with petty nonsense. I have a female friend that I amdire and respect and think the world of but she doesn't even tell me when she's mad at me for whatever stupid reason she would be anyways, and she'll just ignore me for weeks at a time. I am sick of it. If you can't tell me why you're mad it's probably a really shallow pathetic reason anyways. I've just decided to keep our friendship at a distance now. I used to tell her practically everything and anything. She did the same with me. Then she gets mad over nothing and now I am left to wonder how I may have offended her. That's it. From now on, I'll be cordial but I refuse to speak anymore than just pleasantries with her ever again. I will not be a there for her if she'll just magically on a whim decide not to be there for me.

Sounds like someone who needs to get a clue that men are not expert mind readers, especially when trying to read the minds of the opposite sex.

We're expected to do things without being asked, we're expected to know what we did wrong, we're expected to know wtf we did that made them angry, we're expected to give the answers they want to the problems they describe to us, not give them the answers that will solve their problems..... and then get angry when we don't snap sh*t.

It works both ways..... if they think we piss them off to no end with the way we are, what makes them think they don't do the same to us?

If you got a problem, tell us what the problem is.

If something is bugging you, tell us what's bugging you.

If you want a logical and realistic solution to a problem, come see us and ask.

If you need something done, fixed or taken out..... Ask.

Don't expect us to act as programmable machines that can be told something once and expected to repeat that thing perfectly for the rest of our lives..... or expect us to predict how you're feeling or why you're angry based on the layout of your hair on the back of your head and then get more angry when we say we don't know wtf you're going on about.

Guy's simply do not have the same level of patience for these types of games and drama and after a period of time dealing with this, eventually most guys will get fed up and walk away....... tell us wtf you want or move on & get the hell over it.

Telling us stuff like "You know why I'm angry" doesn't solve a damn thing and only makes the situation worse......

...... No, we don't know why you're angry, because if we did, we wouldn't have asked why you're angry and just skip to the part where we give you some excuse or empty apology to end the argument.

We can't give you a valid excuse or empty apology that is convincing if we don't know what the problem is.

And considering in the span of 24 hours you can complain about your job, your friend(s), your parents, your family, your period, not being pregnant, being pregnant, the kids, the neighbors, it being too hot, too cold, something you saw on tv.... etc. etc. etc..... to expect any of us guys to automatically know wtf you're going on about this time is a fool's errand.

"GOD DAMIT!!"

"What's the matter honey? Is there anything I can do?"

"YOU KNOW GOD DAMN WELL WHAT'S THE MATTER!!"

"Well.... no, sorry I don't, that's why I asked."

"IT'S THE SAME GOD DAMN THING THAT'S BEEN THE MATTER AS IT WAS THIS MORNING!!! WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU!!??"

"Well, this morning you complained about cramping, complained that we don't have enough money for the phone bill until after the due date when we get paid again, you complained about the newspaper being torn when it was delivered, you complained that the computer wasn't working properly and wouldn't let you do what you needed to do, you complained about your best friend changing their mind at the last second and now you have nobody to go see Twilight with, a customer at work today gave you attitude about your customer service and then you had to get lectured by your supervisor for 15 minutes for something that wasn't your fault....... oh..... and you complained about me farting on several occasions this morning..... do you still smell a fart?"

"NO YOU INCONSIDERATE BASS'TURD!!! MY FRIEND DOESN'T WANT TO GO SEE TWILIGHT WITH ME ANYMORE!!!!!"

"Oh, sorry, it's difficult to keep track of what's pissing you off from moment to moment..... I didn't realize we moved back to that one."

selin

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2010
Turkey

women sometimes are a little emotional during their period(menses). What most men won't understand is that it's hard to feel great and tolerant when you're miserable with the discomfort of cramps or inconvenienced with the soiling of menstrual blood. And what men can't understand is the power of hormonal changes which make the issue more complicated. ;)

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
women sometimes are a little emotional during their period(menses). What most men won't understand is that it's hard to feel great and tolerant when you're miserable with the discomfort of cramps or inconvenienced with the soiling of menstrual blood. And what men can't understand is the power of hormonal changes which make the issue more complicated. ;)

Makes sense, but that isn't really an excuse to act like a raging bi'atch and to vent all your frustrations out on us.

I don't mean that in a bad way, but when something is affecting a guy and we lash out or say something out of anger because we feel miserable or suffering from some form of discomfort...... it's no excuse and we should know better..... we should know not to vent our frustrations at those who are just trying to help and in the end, we're still at fault for how we acted and we still need to apologize.

But if a woman does it..... The Period Card is Played..... Deal with it.

And people wonder why men get frustrated over this stuff? :p

Maybe every time we get angry and pissed off to the point we lash out and put all our frustrations on our girlfriends/wives, we should just play the "Prostate Swelling" card.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
No Prax, men get TSB... toxic sperm buildup. It usually directly corresponds to PMS in their partners.

Skatchie

Time Out
Sep 24, 2010
Assiniboia
and I bet you have gotten mad and decided to essentially stop talking to her, without talking to her about it. I hope you see the irony.

I have done this. There is no irony though because this is not the first time and every other time when I have tried to talk to her about it she has dismissed it as nothing and then brings it up later in little squabbles as something, so it clearly was something. I have just moved on from it, even though it hurts me because I do have more regard for her than anybody else on this planet but I'm not letting somebody treat me like I'm less than anything. I don't expect much but I do feel disrespected by it.

I know this. Menstrual cycles don't last this long. She has ignored me since November 5. Not a single word. There is something and I'm not about to go and dig for weeks at a time to try to find out what it is. I'm sick of that crap. I am done with it. Like I said, I really do think highly of this woman. I would do anything for her. I am not going to endure any more of this garbage. It's only basic hey, how are you?s from now on. I'm not putting up with any more crap from her. I would rather have her in my life but I am not willing to accept the game playing bull sh1t anymore.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I don't think the ability/inability to communicate one's feelings is exclusively male OR female..... rather it is about the "desire" to and "trust" we have in the other individual. Whether or not I communicate how I am feeling or why, has much to do with my trust in the other individual's ability to be open and emotionally balanced about what I have to say. That is something which reveals itself over time with various scenarios and interactions. I also have to value the other enough to put forth the effort AND feel that they value my effort to do so.

Skatchie

Time Out
Sep 24, 2010
Assiniboia
I don't think the ability/inability to communicate one's feelings is exclusively male OR female..... rather it is about the "desire" to and "trust" we have in the other individual. Whether or not I communicate how I am feeling or why, has much to do with my trust in the other individual's ability to be open and emotionally balanced about what I have to say. That is something which reveals itself over time with various scenarios and interactions. I also have to value the other enough to put forth the effort AND feel that they value my effort to do so.

yeah, yeah, yeah. Quit playing it safe. The thread is about the differences between men and women and how they approach friendship. It's not about being PC and giving an answer that kills the conversation.

CurioToo

Electoral Member
Nov 22, 2010
I believe both sexes have their intimacies whether noticed by the public or not.

I think they are expressed in differing ways - where females are less restricted in subject matter and can confess more readily to friends than males - who generally have one or two of these special "confessors" and who remain in touch for years and years.

I also believe male friendships and bonding are more long lasting and straightforward than female friendships which are inclined to
be more emotionally driven and change with the years and life circumstances. If this statement sounds 'biased' it could very well
be because I cannot experience the opposite.

Either way they are wonderful if one is able to secure honest friendships - I have some going back to my early school days and it
is fantastic to pick up life in the here and now and laugh over some of the early stories we shared as kids.... but I also value new
friends if I have a feeling I have met one which may last even as we age and change. I also have life long enemies (or perceived
enemies at the time) who I will also remember and who will never know what they taught me about survival through turmoil and cruelty.

The unhappy times have never prevented me from enjoying new people in my life and I hope nobody will ever have that power over me.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The words "friend", "friendship" are loosely and overly used. In the vast majority of cases the word "acquaintance" is more suitable. :smile:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Sure we can, as long as we understand two things.
One, the secret to a long life is knowing when it's time to go.
Two, well, two is best summed up by my good friend Earnest Borgnine.

YouTube - Ernest Borgnine reveals the secret of life

If men and women can come to grips with these two aspects of life, there is no reason why they
can be the best of friends.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
yeah, yeah, yeah. Quit playing it safe. The thread is about the differences between men and women and how they approach friendship. It's not about being PC and giving an answer that kills the conversation.
LOL.......news flash.....I wasn't playing it safe nor being PC Skatchie that is actually what I think... Would ya like me to make something up that's a tad more volatile?

I believe that communication in a friendship is different than between acquaintances. In a friendship, it's more about "personal" differences rather than a sexual division. Between acquaintances things are lighter and thus gender approach would be more obvious.

The words "friend", "friendship" are loosely and overly used. In the vast majority of cases the word "acquaintance" is more suitable. :smile:
I think that is exactly right.

CurioToo

Electoral Member
Nov 22, 2010
WOW I am here! I have been trying regularly but can't seem to work out all the problems with my computer - nothing wrong with
CanCon Chris - it's all to do with my own service here.

I see Sal has joined and I have some friendship requests I can't complete - apologies to all of you and happy to see Sal again - it's been
ages and at least I can do an early Merry Christmas to everyone in case I don't get back again....

I am reading the forums - just can't put in my half-cent......CurioToo

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
WOW I am here! I have been trying regularly but can't seem to work out all the problems with my computer - nothing wrong with
CanCon Chris - it's all to do with my own service here.

I see Sal has joined and I have some friendship requests I can't complete - apologies to all of you and happy to see Sal again - it's been
ages and at least I can do an early Merry Christmas to everyone in case I don't get back again....

I am reading the forums - just can't put in my half-cent......CurioToo

Stick to the topic damit!!!! :evil:

Naw, just screwing with ya..... welcome back.

CurioToo

Electoral Member
Nov 22, 2010
Boo on ya Praxius

I'm still able to get back on this afternoon - just to stick out my tongue at you bad boy~!

I already put in at least two cents earlier....

CurioToo

MissAnnika

Electoral Member
Jun 30, 2008
Ohau, Hawaii
Personally I am friends with many males and many females; most of the males are also my husband's friends, so it's mutual friendships, and absolutely no love interest what so ever. I've spent some alone time with my male friends, and it has always been nothing BUT casual. I've always told my husband about my time with them, and it's never once been awkward, nor has my husband ever shown any concern, which is a big deal because he is most certainly the jealous type.

Of course, if any of them ever made a pass at me, I would stop spending one on one time with them immediately and tell my husband, but so far nothing of the sort has ever happened with them or me.

I think male-female friendships are definitely possible, but in the end it depends on the person themselves. Boundaries and morals on both sides are required whether the said person is in a relationship or not, and just like every other friendship, common interests and general liking or fondness of that person is required to make any friendship successful.