All Boys Academy

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Proposed All-Boys' Academy: Edmonton Catholic School District

Why an All-Boys Academy?

• Edmonton Catholic Schools is looking at offering an All-Boys' Academy in one of the existing schools in the District. The Academy could start in grades 4 and 5 and grow one grade per year until grade 9 at which time the boys going into grade 10 would attend the high school that offers the programming they choose.
  • The proposal of an All-Boys' Academy in Edmonton Catholic Schools has been seriously considered ever since the Jean Forest Leadership Academy for Girls opened its doors in 2005 and now the District is considering a boys' program to reciprocate the offer of gender-specific education for our boys. An All-Boys' Academy will target the learning styles and needs of boys in order to close the achievement gap for boys in terms of literacy and continue to promote math and science skills where boys typically excel. An All-Boys' Academy that addresses literacy issues early can assist boys in later years and ultimately reduce the drop-out rate of our young men. The program will teach them the study skills and habits that will allow them to be successful in school at a pace that suits their developmental needs.

Proposed Mission Statement

Edmonton Catholic School District's All-Boys' Academy exists to serve the unique educational, social, developmental and spiritual needs of boys from grades 4-9 who have demonstrated intellectual ability yet have not realized their potential. Our boys benefit from being in a single-gender learning environment where they achieve to their greatest potential.
The All-Boys' Academy, for the benefit of the students, their families and the community, will:

• provide the opportunity to build mentoring relationships with involved and dedicated teachers and staff who provide boys with positive role models
  • offer the chance for teachers to nurture boys' strengths and directly address their challenges
  • provide a learning environment that aims to balance exploration and development with discipline, so that students can excel both academically and personally
  • commit to developing and implementing the most current research into how boys learn and offer a unique educational experience
  • tailor instructional practices that are hands-on, kinesthetic and inquiry based
  • engage students in 21st century thinking and problem-solving skills while embedding technology into the delivery of the curricula
  • maintain a secure learning environment that encourages academic and personal risk-taking within a nurturing community
  • strive to develop in its boys an awareness and love of God and a sense of moral responsibility
  • inspire intellectual curiosity and a passion for learning
Students in the All-Boys' Academy will in turn:

• strive for excellence and actively seek leadership opportunities in some aspect of school life
  • be actively involved in community service and global outreach projects
  • use their academic prowess with discernment and wisdom
  • endeavor to develop personal spiritual growth to give full meaning to their intellectual and physical activities

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.
I find it somewhat surprising that Albertans tolerate funding through their taxes 100% of the Provincial per student financial allocation and expenses to a private, elitist school system. It's bad enough in that it's 50% in B.C.

It's not permitted in our medical system - if you choose to go "private" you pay the full cost of doing so. The way the education system should be funded in every province IMO. Otherwise it's taxation without representation.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I find it somewhat surprising that Albertans tolerate funding through their taxes 100% of the Provincial per student financial allocation and expenses to a private, elitist school system. It's bad enough in that it's 50% in B.C.

It's not permitted in our medical system - if you choose to go "private" you pay the full cost of doing so. The way the education system should be funded in every province IMO. Otherwise it's taxation without representation.

define private and elitist and then tell us how the Catholic School system in Alberta falls into those definitions.

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.
Falling into:

Private:

1. Belonging to, concerning, or accessible only to an individual person or a specific group.
  2. Not in governmental office or employment. He quit public life, living quietly as a private citizen.
  3. Not publicly known; not open; secret. The identity of the beneficiaries of the trust is private.
  4. Protected from view or disturbance by others; secluded. Can we go someplace more private.
  5. Intended only for the use of an individual, group, or organization. private papers
  6. Not accessible by the public. private property.
  7. Secretive; reserved.
    He is a very private person.
Elitist = elite:

1. Of high birth or social position; aristocratic or patrician.
  2. Representing the choicest or most select of a group

1. A special group or social class of people which have a superior intellectual, social or economic status as, the elite of society.
  2. Someone who is among the best at certain task.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Falling into:

Private:

1. Belonging to, concerning, or accessible only to an individual person or a specific group.
  2. Not in governmental office or employment. He quit public life, living quietly as a private citizen.
  3. Not publicly known; not open; secret. The identity of the beneficiaries of the trust is private.
  4. Protected from view or disturbance by others; secluded. Can we go someplace more private.
  5. Intended only for the use of an individual, group, or organization. private papers
  6. Not accessible by the public. private property.
  7. Secretive; reserved.
    He is a very private person.
Elitist = elite:

1. Of high birth or social position; aristocratic or patrician.
  2. Representing the choicest or most select of a group

1. A special group or social class of people which have a superior intellectual, social or economic status as, the elite of society.
  2. Someone who is among the best at certain task.

Thats only the definition, now explain how the Catholic School system in Alberta falls into those definitions.

I'll answer for you. Your comment concerning the Catholic School system in Alberta being private and elitist is pure BS. The ravings of someone that has no clue what they are talking about. The Catholic School system in Alberta is neither private nor elitist.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Actually, in our medical system and all throughout our educational system there are specialized programs to meet specific needs and specific segments of population. My medical clinic is a prime example... people who meet their criteria are given priority, and patients outside that are accepted only as the clinic sees itself capable. The Catholic school system is no different. It is not closed to anyone, it simply gives priority of placement to people of Catholic descent. It is not a private system at all.

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.
Actually, in our medical system and all throughout our educational system there are specialized programs to meet specific needs and specific segments of population. My medical clinic is a prime example... people who meet their criteria are given priority, and patients outside that are accepted only as the clinic sees itself capable. The Catholic school system is no different. It is not closed to anyone, it simply gives priority of placement to people of Catholic descent. It is not a private system at all.

GOVERNMENT OF ALBERTA: SCHOOL ACT
Alberta Queen's Printer: Legislation

Part 8
Creation, Dissolution and Alteration
of Districts, Divisions and Boards

Division 1
Establishment and Dissolution of Public
School Districts and Divisions

Division 2
Establishment and Dissolution
of Separate School Districts

220(1) The order establishing the separate school district shall give it a name and number in the following form:

The _______________ Separate School District No. ______.

(2) An order made under subsection (1) becomes effective on the date specified in the order.
(3) Notwithstanding section 44, when a separate school district is established during a school year, the board of the public school district within which the separate school district is established or the board of the division if the public school district is within a division shall, at the request of the board of the separate school district, continue until the end of the school year to accept in its school and on its school buses the resident students of the separate school board.
(4) A board of a public school district or division that accepts the resident students of a separate school board pursuant to subsection (3) is entitled to receive from or on behalf of the board of the separate school district, in proportion to the number of months in the school year that the resident students of the board of the separate school district are in the schools operated by the board of the public school district, the requisitions, grants or other revenues that the board of the public school district or division would have received if the separate school district had not been established.
(5) Any dispute respecting the application of subsections (3) and (4) must be referred to the Minister, whose decision is final and binding on the parties to the dispute.
(6) Subject to Part 6, Division 2, after a separate school district is established, a person residing within the boundaries of the separate school district who is of the same faith as those who established that district, whether Protestant or Roman Catholic, is a resident of the separate school district and is not a resident of the public school district.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
WhAt exactley is your point, because both Karie and I live in Alberta a know the reality of the situation here.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
after a separate school district is established, a person residing within the boundaries of the separate school district who is of the same faith as those who established that district, whether Protestant or Roman Catholic, is a resident of the separate school district and is not a resident of the public school district.

Yes, you've stated how the school divisions are established, but you haven't looked into whether or not non-residents can join a school, have you?

As I said, there are many places in both our education system and our health care system where one is not eligible unless they meet the criteria for which that specialized section was designed, or, there is room or resources for people who do not meet the specifications.

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.
Yes, you've stated how the school divisions are established, but you haven't looked into whether or not non-residents can join a school, have you?

Yup! And double checked the School Act. Of course no school receiving public funds and under the authority of the School Act can legally deny a student as defined under the Act the right to apply. BUT...

As I said, there are many places in both our education system and our health care system where one is not eligible unless they meet the criteria for which that specialized section was designed, or, there is room or resources for people who do not meet the specifications.
And there's the catch for the taxpayers and the out for the catholic separate school system. Quoting from your OP: "Proposed Mission Statement

Edmonton Catholic School District's All-Boys' Academy exists to serve the unique educational, social, developmental and spiritual needs of boys from grades 4-9 . . "

strive to develop in its boys an awareness and love of God and a sense of moral responsibility.

Students in the All-Boys' Academy will in turn:

• be actively involved in community service and global outreach projects
  • endeavor to develop personal spiritual growth to give full meaning to their intellectual and physical activities."

As it specifically states its a proposed academy built and administered by The Edmonton Catholic School District based on the catholic religion. Yes, a Jewish, Muslim, Protestant, Buddhist, agnostic, atheist, secular humanist, etc., student can legally apply.

The school/academy is not going to accept them unless they agree to adhere to the specific religious instruction the school is based on, they cannot accommodate other religions because that would not only cause the obvious problems, but would, under The School Act, prevent them from claiming separate school status. The Act only recognizes catholic or protestant schools as separate schools. They would lose all provincial and federal funding, something I doubt the Edmonton Catholic School District nor the parents of attending students would be too happy about.

Why would a a Jewish, Muslim, Protestant, Buddhist, agnostic, atheist, secular humanist, etc., student apply to a catholic separate school? It's in direct conflict with their particular faith or beliefs which they would have to deny if the school actually accepted them. Of course its not an option for them. The religious basis on which the curriculum is built precludes it being accessible to those who are not of the catholic faith, which makes it inequitable.

Yes, I've known a few families who have lied to admissions staff and got their children accepted into separate schools who had no interest or concern about religion, they wanted their child or children out of the public system & usually claimed separate schools were "stricter" with smaller class sizes. I don't know of any of them who managed to keep their child in a separate school for very long due to the non-involvement and lack of interest by the parents and the student in the religious expectations of the separate school. The schools invariably told them to withdraw their child or just expelled them. It doesn't work.

It is, as it is here in B.C., an inequitable and unjust system. In B.C. it's not even constitutional. Public funds actually designated for a public education system open to all should not be used to fund a system that does not meet the fundamental principal for the basis of taxation for an open education system, in that it is restrictive and by its very nature excludes those who do not practise and believe in its doctrine. And from Wiki:

"The question of separate schools has been most controversial in Ontario and Manitoba. The ending of public support for separate schools in the latter province in the 1890s prompted a national crisis known as the Manitoba Schools Question, and led to Pope Leo XIII's papal encyclical Affari Vos. Separate school rights have often been criticized as contrary to the spirit of official multiculturalism, primarily, but not exclusively, because only adherents of the Protestant or Roman Catholic faith have these constitutional rights and only in some provinces and territories. In addition, where separate school systems exist, employees or prospective employees who are of the minority faith have more employment opportunities. (All other things being equal, a member of the minority faith can be employed by either the public board or by the separate board, while anyone else can be excluded from employment by the separate system.) On November 5, 1999 the United Nations Human Rights Committee condemned Canada and Ontario for having violated the equality provisions (Article 26) of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. The Committee restated its concerns on November 2, 2005, when it published its Concluding Observations regarding Canada's fifth periodic report under the Covenant. The Committee observed that Canada had failed to "adopt steps in order to eliminate discrimination on the basis of religion in the funding of schools in Ontario. In Canada, separate school refers to a particular type of school that has constitutional status in three provinces and one territory. Separate school education exists in the provinces of Alberta, Ontario, and Saskatchewan and in the Northwest Territories. In these Canadian jurisdictions, a separate school is one operated by a civil authority -- a separate school board."

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Why would a a Jewish, Muslim, Protestant, Buddhist, agnostic, atheist, secular humanist, etc., student apply to a catholic separate school? It's in direct conflict with their particular faith or beliefs which they would have to deny if the school actually accepted them. Of course its not an option for them. The religious basis on which the curriculum is built precludes it being accessible to those who are not of the catholic faith, which makes it inequitable.

I don't know what drives people to put their kids in Catholic school over public, but, I went to school with atheist/agnostic students, as well as Sikh and Hindu students. How they reconcile the teachings with what is practiced at home is beyond me, but they seemed to manage it just fine, and graduated with everyone else. I also know an atheist couple here who just put their kids in and seem quite content with their decision, and an atheist family who intend to enroll their kids once of age. It's not closed to them at all.

And to say that it's 'closed' to them because they'd have to learn religion is like saying the arts school is closed to your science oriented child because he hates the arts. It doesn't make it private, or elitist, it only makes it ill suited to the education you want for them.

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.
I don't know what drives people to put their kids in Catholic school over public, but, I went to school with atheist/agnostic students, as well as Sikh and Hindu students. How they reconcile the teachings with what is practiced at home is beyond me, but they seemed to manage it just fine, and graduated with everyone else. I also know an atheist couple here who just put their kids in and seem quite content with their decision, and an atheist family who intend to enroll their kids once of age. It's not closed to them at all.

And to say that it's 'closed' to them because they'd have to learn religion is like saying the arts school is closed to your science oriented child because he hates the arts. It doesn't make it private, or elitist, it only makes it ill suited to the education you want for them.

I think this is one of those 'agree to disagree' things - you cannot accept my POV any more than I can accept yours.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

I remember as teenager, some of my friends parents chose to put them in the Separate School system due to them thinking the schooling their was of better quality, whether that is true or not I don't know.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't think people have to accept Catholic school. They don't have to agree with religious education. But, to decide it's 'private' simply on the fact that they wouldn't choose it is such a flawed bit of thinking that, no, you're right, I won't come to accept it.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I don't think people have to accept Catholic school. They don't have to agree with religious education. But, to decide it's 'private' simply on the fact that they wouldn't choose it is such a flawed bit of thinking that, no, you're right, I won't come to accept it.

I personally hated the catholic school system but I think it should continue to exist in it's current form due to history & demographics.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I remember as teenager, some of my friends parents chose to put them in the Separate School system due to them thinking the schooling their was of better quality, whether that is true or not I don't know.

I don't know if it's truly better quality, but, for us it's better suited.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
In Alberta, one designates whether their school taxes go to the public or the separate school system. Those that use the public system are NOT paying for the separate system. In BC those that choose to enroll their children in a private school have no such choice, under the existing formula only 50% of their school taxes go to funding for their child and they must make up the rest through tuition fees. You're right cool, it definatley isn't fair to those that don't use the public system, they are paying for something they are not using.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
So, our foray into separate school systems resolved, what do people think about gender segregation in education?

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Karrie - I completely agree with a comment I heard last night about this issue: Educate according to the individual needs of the student, not the gender.