Speeding

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
ok so what is with society where people have a car or truck and they must speed?

speed limit is 110 yet they need to go 130 or 140 and up (god knows why?)

limit is 50 yet they need to go 60 or 70!

speed limit is 80 and of course gotta go 90, 100 even 110 :eek:

I don't buy the excuse that our vehicles are designed to be able to handle higher speeds, that's not an excuse to do it!

funny, this morning, as I always do. I sit in the right lane, plant it at 110 and drive.

I swear almost every single vehicle, whether it was in the left or right lane behind me was cruising past me! at least 120!

the reason I do 110 and not budge is I want to get the most out of my tank of gas. I know that if I drive faster, i'll use up more gasoline. besides, there's no need to go faster than 110, I get to work on time!

so why do we (most people) have to speed?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
impatience, immaturity and a total disregard for anyone else but themselves, I have more respect

for the old tottering senior who is trying their best, but can't really push themselves past

that point, or they will not be efficient, the speeder has not yet reached maturity, and

has an illusions of grandeur about himself, and intimidates others, and feels that he has more

ability on the road, but we 'all' know different, and hope he doesn't kill others before he 'gets it'.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
ok so what is with society where people have a car or truck and they must speed?

speed limit is 110 yet they need to go 130 or 140 and up (god knows why?)

limit is 50 yet they need to go 60 or 70!

speed limit is 80 and of course gotta go 90, 100 even 110 :eek:

I don't buy the excuse that our vehicles are designed to be able to handle higher speeds, that's not an excuse to do it!

funny, this morning, as I always do. I sit in the right lane, plant it at 110 and drive.

I swear almost every single vehicle, whether it was in the left or right lane behind me was cruising past me! at least 120!

the reason I do 110 and not budge is I want to get the most out of my tank of gas. I know that if I drive faster, i'll use up more gasoline. besides, there's no need to go faster than 110, I get to work on time!

so why do we (most people) have to speed?

100 kmh is plenty. I've said before that speed is seldom the cause accidents but in the event of an accident damage and injury increase exponentially with increased speed. What's the rush anyway?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
There are places where it's safe and a lot more where it's not.

I drove a whole procession of sports cars when I was younger. I had a couple Austin Healeys, an MGA, a triumph or two and a
Jaguar and even an old, clapped out Porche. I got more than my share of speeding tickets over the years but I never had an accident.
What amazes me is the number of one car accidents. A one car accident can't be blamed on the other driver. Somebody drove too fast for road conditions is the usual cause. Booze is probably another. What is needed is driver training. I once took a race driving course
that basically taught me that I wasn't going to be a race driver, but it did teach me how to keep the car between the ditches.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
when I criticize speeders, it isn't the one's (like myself) who drive 120 on the freeway, when the
limit is 110, (and that has to be done properly as well),it's the one's who insist on speeding when it is unsafe, they are impatient, arrogant,
and will not blend in to the situation on the road at that time, they tail gate at a fast speed, blink
their lights because they want you to let them by, and just act like they own the road, and other
drivers get annoyed with them, which causes the beginning of road rage, and I would like to see how
pushy they really are, 'without' their car around them.

Yes, juan, the one car accidents are many, and I am always relieved when I read that they didn't
hit anyone else at the time, that is just 'luck' for the driver who was not in his/her way.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I drove a whole procession of sports cars when I was younger. I had a couple Austin Healeys, an MGA, a triumph or two and a
Jaguar and even an old, clapped out Porche. I got more than my share of speeding tickets over the years but I never had an accident.
What amazes me is the number of one car accidents. A one car accident can't be blamed on the other driver. Somebody drove too fast for road conditions is the usual cause. Booze is probably another. What is needed is driver training. I once took a race driving course
that basically taught me that I wasn't going to be a race driver, but it did teach me how to keep the car between the ditches.

I think when Highway speed limits are being set, it has to be commensurate with the ability of the worst driver on the road, otherwise we all could die.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think when Highway speed limits are being set, it has to be commensurate with the ability of the worst driver on the road, otherwise we all could die.

Maybe we are approaching this wrong. Maybe all drivers should be at least competent enough to drive the highest posted speed limit. The worst drivers who are not competent, should be taken off the road.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
...then there are the one-car crashes where somebody opens up a new drive-through window. Some people just have allergic reactions when in the proximity of steering wheels....

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Societal (gov't) pressures. People are made to feel that they have no time to waste driving, when they should be making money and paying taxes. Consumerism is in it, too. Earn more faster to buy things and pay taxes.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Maybe we are approaching this wrong. Maybe all drivers should be at least competent enough to drive the highest posted speed limit. The worst drivers who are not competent, should be taken off the road.

but, what does not competent mean, too many accidents, driving too fast, drinking, driving too slow,
over 100 years old, other.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I think the lower the speed limit, the better. Less energy used is better for the environment and people are safer at lower speeds. Most people pay minimum attention to their driving as it is. Speed them up and you have speedy people that don't pay attention to their driving.

oh so the societal pressures, make someone speed 10-30 kms faster only to save themselves 10-30 seconds?
Yup.
There's always the need for speed for the thrill of it, too. That'd be your younger drivers and occasional boomer that used to have a muscle car and never grew up. :D

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
you can't go back down from 110km/hr. it would be like saying to us "we're taking away your right to walk without a license" people would lose it.

I think the lower the speed limit, the better. Less energy used is better for the environment and people are safer at lower speeds. Most people pay minimum attention to their driving as it is. Speed them up and you have speedy people that don't pay attention to their driving.

Yup.
There's always the need for speed for the thrill of it, too. That'd be your younger drivers and occasional boomer that used to have a muscle car and never grew up. :D

well some day, the govt and police will find a way to screw those younger drivers with something that'll make them actually think twice about speeding.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
but, what does not competent mean, too many accidents, driving too fast, drinking, driving too slow,
over 100 years old, other.
Texting while driving, gaping at the rearview while primping, ogling the hot chick on the sidewalk, etc.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
having your music up 3 times what it should be, looking cool with your sunglasses, compensating for something! :p

young drivers seem to think the Car makes the man... HAHAHAHAHAHA

Sure you can. Nobody has a "right" to drive.

well ya, but people would go nuts if they found that the speed limit was now 90 instead of 110.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
you can't go back down from 110km/hr. it would be like saying to us "we're taking away your right to walk without a license" people would lose it.
BS. People in the States used to have a 65 MPH limit except in specified areas (like freeways) and they dropped that down to 55.
People in Canada (or at least here in BC) used to drive 100 KMPH unless otherwise posted, Now it's 80KMPH.

well some day, the govt and police will find a way to screw those younger drivers with something that'll make them actually think twice about speeding.
Charles Darwin already commented on that.