Two Things In Life Money Can't Buy....

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
True love

&

Home grown tomatoes.

Mmmmmm fresh tomatos and bacon on fresh toasted rye bread...

Life is good.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
True love

&

Home grown tomatoes.

Life is good.
Tell me about it.

SCB bought some Beefsteak tomat's from a road side stand, and they were as I predicted, shyte.

I have the same opinion of mass produced bacon, hence why I cure and smoke my own pork bellies.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Ours have been ripening for about a week now. I went with Manitobas and one called Arctic Plenty this season. The beefsteaks have been blighting the past few years.

I can't wait to fire up the smoker this fall. We had our last pack of deer smokies lastnight for dinner.

I haven't smoked any bacon or hams for a few years, by the time I get through the wild meat I'm all smoked out.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Ours have been ripening for about a week now. I went with Manitobas and one called Arctic Plenty this season. The beefsteaks have been blighting the past few years.

I can't wait to fire up the smoker this fall. We had our last pack of deer smokies lastnight for dinner.

I haven't smoked any bacon or hams for a few years, by the time I get through the wild meat I'm all smoked out.

Beefsteaks have been my favorite tomato for years but as you say in the last few years the blight takes them. This
year I put in only two plants; A cherry Tomato and a Fantastic.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

We're down to our last couple pounds of Deer now, thank Gawd October's just around the corner. But we still have a shyte load of Whitefish and Perch. Some smoked and some just frozen.

I can never get smoked out, lol.

Beefsteaks have been my favorite tomato for years but as you say in the last few years the blight takes them.
You know, when we aren't butting heads, we have a lot in common eh?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Ever tried making kippered beef from smoke dried briskets?

My daughter's boyfriend is all gungho to help smoke this fall. I'm sure he'll find better ways to kiss my ass after his hands are chapped raw from the brine.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
True love

&

Home grown tomatoes.

Life is good.
Home-made, bread prepared manually.
Never tried kippered beef. Love corned brisket, though. Les does that himself. Also, smoked bacon and other goodies. Cold-smoked salmon is a fave. Also, moose/elk/bison/beef and salmon jerky.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No recipe needed just go buy some briskets at the supermarket and cut in slices. It comes out tasting identical to those Jack Links kippered beefsteak jobbers in gas stations.
How do you get that taste without a cure?

Home-made, bread prepared manually.
Nothing beats that.
Never tried kippered beef. Love corned brisket, though. Les does that himself. Also, smoked bacon and other goodies. Cold-smoked salmon is a fave.
That and Indian candy!!! Good stuff.

Have any of you smoked cheese?

SCB loves my cold smoked Cheddar.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I do trout instead of salmon. Salmon is hard to catch on the prairies but my favourite fishing lake is overcrowded with trout after one of the pens broke at the fish farm.

How do you get that taste without a cure?
By cheating.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I do trout instead of salmon. Salmon is hard to catch on the prairies but my favourite fishing lake is overcrowded with trout after one of the pens broke at the fish farm.
We have couple creeks around here like that, we take full advantage of that, lol.

By cheating.

Ahhh, now I got ya!!!

I'll have to try that.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You definetly won't regret it. It's a huge time saver, it's always consistant and frees up more bin space to soak other meats.

Cheese is on the list for this year. Mild, med or old cheddar?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
We don't have salmon around here, cept for Kokanees, but there's a guy from the coast with a fridge truck who comes around here.

By cheating.

lol Egg Zachary.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Cheese is on the list for this year. Mild, med or old cheddar?
Old stands up to the smoke, so it doesn't over power it.

Make sure you watch your temps though, lol. Or just put a plate of nachos under the rack, lol.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Actually, that's just corn bannock basically, yes. But bannock isn't made strictly from corn. Cattail seed bannock is awesome, too. There are a few other bases also good. Getting cattail seed is a major ordeal, though.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If you haven't tried yet turkeys, geese and ducks are to die for smoked.

Actually, that's just corn bannock basically, yes. But bannock isn't made strictly from corn. Cattail seed bannock is awesome, too. There are a few other bases also good. Getting cattail seed is a major ordeal, though.
More cheating.....It's pretty easy to get catail seed. Just get it from the guys with the airboats who harvest wild rice.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If you haven't tried yet turkeys, geese and ducks are to die for smoked.
Yep, duck and goose can be smoked so gently as to make it taste like roast beef, if you like that.

Turkey, wild or farm fresh, Apple wood is the best, in my opinion. Every Thanksgiving and Christmas, the Turkey is bathed in a wash of Apple smoke, before it's finished off in the gas oven. Always moist, with a mahogany colour that would make Martha Stewart jealous.