should the police at G8/G20 have more ability?

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
I personally have no sympathy at all for these protestors who are breaking the law, smashing things and destroying public property and especially police property..

I heard that one night, in private they passed a law that gave the police the right to arrest someone if they refused to tell them who they were and what they were doing there.

the big argument was the fact they didn't announce it publicly and it caused a huge stir with the lawyers that were representing these people who were arrested under the new law.

Personally I agree with the new law (I didn't like how they passed it..) but these punks who are there just to create violence and destroy stuff should be handled in such a way that they never forget this.

I am glad they're getting arrested and man handled! they deserve it.

yet I think the people who are just hanging around to watch should just leave and not make things more difficult for them.

thoughts?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The law in question has been on the books since 1936 or something like that. All it requires is for the government of the day to define what places and times it is in effect for, so all they did was define the area where the law would be applied.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Public Works Protection Act of Ontario allows police to exercise those functions for any public works that exist in Ontario. All that happened here was an Order of the Lieutenant Governor-in-Council temporarily classifying the summit sites as “public works”, using a mechanism that had already existed in the Act. The media reported this issue improperly; police powers were not expanded, nor were they created out of nothing; these powers had always existed, but were just applied to another area temporarily.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If someone approaches within five metres of the summit site and refuses to identify themselves or their purposes, they are absolutely a suspect.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I personally have no sympathy at all for these protestors who are breaking the law, smashing things and destroying public property and especially police property..

I heard that one night, in private they passed a law that gave the police the right to arrest someone if they refused to tell them who they were and what they were doing there.

the big argument was the fact they didn't announce it publicly and it caused a huge stir with the lawyers that were representing these people who were arrested under the new law.

Personally I agree with the new law (I didn't like how they passed it..) but these punks who are there just to create violence and destroy stuff should be handled in such a way that they never forget this.

yet I think the people who are just hanging around to watch should just leave and not make things more difficult for them.

thoughts?
How about the under-cover cops that instigate violence?
YouTube - Stop SPP Protest - Union Leader stops provocateurs

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
So how many laws are announced to the public ?I'm all for civil dosobedience,but the these cowardly punks wewe just using the protests as a chance to smash stuff,I'd like to see them all do time,and pay for the stuff they destroyed,at least it should cost daddy a bunch for lawyers.
One question I have is,with all the cops there were on hand,how come they stood by and watched as the punks smashed and burned ?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
There is peaceful protest, ie, what labor and environmental groups did and then there is anarchy and that is what the black bloc did.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

thoughts?

A lot of the people being detained were not protesters at all, but were people living in the area, I was there.

The protests took place in heavily populated area, you can't just expect people to hide inside the whole weekend.

If someone approaches within five metres of the summit site and refuses to identify themselves or their purposes, they are absolutely a suspect.

5 metres of the fence to be exact. You wouldn't have a chance in hell at getting within 5 metres of the convention centre. The fence was massive, to imply that if you refuse to show ID anywhere along the fence perimeter equals you being a suspect is ridiculous.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Protesting is one thing; resorting to vandalism and destruction is something else. In a flurry of activity like a protest gone bad, I think it's unreasonable to expect the cops to avoid arresting some innocent bystanders.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Protesting is one thing; resorting to vandalism and destruction is something else. In a flurry of activity like a protest gone bad, I think it's unreasonable to expect the cops to avoid arresting some innocent bystanders.

Living in one's neighborhood should not open one up to arrest. People live there, it's not just a commercial strip where people shop.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Living in one's neighborhood should not open one up to arrest. People live there, it's not just a commercial strip where people shop.
Shyte happens. Les was walking home from a pizza place one time and was arrested as a troublemaker. He skirted the crowd and was grabbed from behind. Bad news for the people that grabbed him without warning (RCMP), but things were cleared up after a while and any charges were dropped, etc. He's not emotionally or psychologically scarred for life. lol
As he put it, a minor inconvenience. The cops even apologized even though a witness has seen Les down 9 cops before 8 more squeezed him into a van. lol No videos at the time, unfortunately, but it would have been interesting.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
A large number of G8 and G20 protesters are anarchists. All they want to do is riot and smash store and bank windows.