Waterboarding - do you consider this torture?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
You are asking a bunch of Canadians if they would let an American die before they would torture someone? What are you thinking?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Is this torture?

http://content1.clipmarks.com/conten...4-3A07CF501B7C

Would you let a US citizen die rather than do this to extract information?

Would I let a US Citizen die?

What would I honestly care? Piles of US citizens die everyday in their everyday lives in the US and in most cases, at the hands of other US citizens.

Waterboarding is torture, just as tossing someone on a rack and stretched out, or using electric shocks..... it's all a form of torture and just because a certain technique has a remote or nill chance of causing death, doesn't mean it's not still torture.

And it's common sense to most that torture is not the greatest way of getting true information..... and to add on top of that, in most courts of law, any information obtained through torture can not be used and will be thrown out of court, thus useless.

As a US example, look at the underwear bomber or this guy who just attempted to blow up a car in NY..... as far as I'm aware, neither is being tortured, yet they're spilling the beans and giving out plenty of valuable information..... thus proving torture isn't necessary.

The whole argument about waterboarding being justified because it was done to Khalid Sheikh Mohammed 183 times and got useful information out of him is a lame attempt to justify torture, because it's simply not proof that no other technique would have worked just as effective or even better then waterboarding.

All torture is, is an excuse for someone to enact their own form of punishment and suffering on someone for their own sadistic amusement and when you torture someone, you're no better off then the person who killed that one US citizen.

And even if it was a Canadian citizen or a citizen of any other nation, my position would remain the same..... Torture is what occurs when someone can't separate their emotional bias in a situation and can't remain professional.

They're not professional, they're just a thug who likes to beat up and make defenseless/tied up people suffer.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
I had a styrofoam waterboard when I was little, and it gave me an awful rash on my tummy whenever I swam with it, usually so bad that I'd end up getting the some kind of Bactine-type treatment. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Torture isn't right, just like going to some other country and killing civilians isn't right. Not surprisingly, both were recently done at the behest of the same entity, go figure. Personally I believe the people responsible- from the bottom all the way to the top- should be punished severely ... like imprisoned forever and forced to eat prison food etc, not hung or stoned or whatever- to paraphrase Texas Chainsaw Massacre part II- "If yuh kill 'em, they won't LEARN nothin!!"

MollyGroove

May 6, 2010
Edmonton
What silly question... of course its torture.

And, yes I probably would let a US citizen die before doing this (not that I have anything against the Americans. I am part American and love our southern neighbors - just not their gov't). Torture is never justified and information gathered by torture isn't even always reliable. Not to mention it makes you as stupid, pathetic and morally corrupt as those countries (primarily the middle east) that have no reservations in using torture methods.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Response to post #15.

MollyGrove if you have something against the present government in the United States, you must have agreed with the previous one. Although, based on your post you are too young and immature to form a solid opinion either way.

MollyGroove

May 6, 2010
Edmonton
Response to post #15.

MollyGrove if you have something against the present government in the United States, you must have agreed with the previous one. Although, based on your post you are too young and immature to form a solid opinion either way.

Gee, well thanks for that (actually, no, **** you). And you're wrong. I can have problems with both the previous gov't AND the current gov't. In fact, they haven't had a decent president since Bill Clinton.