definition; 'internet trolling'

kenp

Apr 26, 2010
a. an inactive user, one who registers on a BBS or forum who fails to participate, and/or someone who's been inactive for quite some time on your user registry.

Get it right! eh? Ron in Regina....

:lol:

theconqueror

kenp

Apr 26, 2010
The point is being banned from CanadianContent without moderators knowledge of what a troll is can be embarrasing...

I've been online since the 70's and if you do not know the proper definition of what a troll is... don't say it. kapeesh? ;)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
a. an inactive user, one who registers on a BBS or forum who fails to participate, and/or someone who's been inactive for quite some time on your user registry.

Get it right! eh? Ron in Regina....

theconqueror
Wow, how about you post the whole quote ken?

Here's better definition as it applies to you.
Trolling is a game about identity deception, albeit one that is played without the consent of most of the players. The troll attempts to pass as a legitimate participant, sharing the group's common interests and concerns; the newsgroups members, if they are cognizant of trolls and other identity deceptions, attempt to both distinguish real from trolling postings, and upon judging a poster a troll, make the offending poster leave the group. Their success at the former depends on how well they — and the troll — understand identity cues; their success at the latter depends on whether the troll's enjoyment is sufficiently diminished or outweighed by the costs imposed by the group.

Trolls can be costly in several ways. A troll can disrupt the discussion on a newsgroup, disseminate bad advice, and damage the feeling of trust in the newsgroup community. Furthermore, in a group that has become sensitized to trolling — where the rate of deception is high — many honestly naïve questions may be quickly rejected as trollings. This can be quite off-putting to the new user who upon venturing a first posting is immediately bombarded with angry accusations. Even if the accusation is unfounded, being branded a troll is quite damaging to one's online reputation.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The point is being banned from CanadianContent without moderators knowledge of what a troll is can be embarrasing...

I've been online since the 70's and if you do not know the proper definition of what a troll is... don't say it. kapeesh? ;)

Which planet had "on line" in the 70s?

Reactions: Ron in Regina

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Probably not as embarrassing as having you as a relative.

You're a troll. Period. By the very definition of the term, you espouse every aspect of the descriptions. Kapeesh? lol.

kenp

Apr 26, 2010
I've been online since the 70's don't tell ME what a troll is... the ORIGINAL definition is: an inactive user, one who registers on a BBS or forum who fails to participate, and/or someone who's been inactive for quite some time on your user registry.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I've been online since the 70's don't tell ME what a troll is... the ORIGINAL definition is: an inactive user, one who registers on a BBS or forum who fails to participate, and/or someone who's been inactive for quite some time on your user registry.
Really? Since the first definitions were written and interpreted by "User Groups". User groups being the forefathers of the modern Forum, I think their definition trumps that of some tit troll with a mental illness.

Why else would you selectively edit your quote troll?

kenp

Apr 26, 2010
I don't care about you people... as far as i'm concerned you can all meet my gun.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Leaving behind the BS about being online before the net and most BBS were invented...

the ORIGINAL definition is: an inactive user, one who registers on a BBS or forum who fails to participate, and/or someone who's been inactive for quite some time on your user registry.

That may have been someone's definition at some point, but what you are describing is what many now call "lurkers". Trolls are usually a PITA and disruptive, lurkers are not.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Leaving behind the BS about being online before the net and most BBS were invented...

That may have been someone's definition at some point, but what you are describing is what many now call "lurkers". Trolls are usually a PITA and disruptive, lurkers are not.
But wulfie! The gun toting troll says it's otherwise. He must be right or he wouldn't be making threats about his big scary plastic pistol. 8O