Admit to a DUI charge?

omg

Apr 19, 2010
Ok soo..I got into a bit of trouble over the weekend and I was hoping someone might be able to help me out..
I was driving without my lisense because I had lost it when I slightly bumped into the car infront of me at the red light. Not to mention I had been drinking so should not have been driving in the first place. I completely freaked out and parked my car..and I left it there.
My friend who was still in the car was completely drunk.
So the people who i hitt called the cops and the cops came and my car got towed..
Anyways the cops called my parents and told them I left and that i may have been drinking..since thats what the witnessses had said.
Right now my car is still at the impound and they said I cant take it out for A MONTH because the police seized it..
Does anyone know what I should do now? Or what will happen..
Can they give me a DUI ..since they dont have prooof, besides their word?
I was going to say I had not been drinking, that i was the d.d for my friend and that I shouldnt of left but I completely freaked out because I realized I didnt have my ID and i didnt want to get in trouble so I left to go grab a cab and get it..by the time i came back my car was towed?
Or..i dont know..im pretty freaked out. Does anyone have any suggestions?

also ..if your going to respond to this telling me im an idiot for drinking and driving please don't. Ive definetly learned my lesson.:banghead:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Ok soo..I got into a bit of trouble over the weekend and I was hoping someone might be able to help me out..
I was driving without my lisense because I had lost it when I slightly bumped into the car infront of me at the red light. Not to mention I had been drinking so should not have been driving in the first place. I completely freaked out and parked my car..and I left it there.
My friend who was still in the car was completely drunk.
So the people who i hitt called the cops and the cops came and my car got towed..
Anyways the cops called my parents and told them I left and that i may have been drinking..since thats what the witnessses had said.
Right now my car is still at the impound and they said I cant take it out for A MONTH because the police seized it..
Does anyone know what I should do now? Or what will happen..
I was going to say I had not been drinking, that i was the d.d for my friend and that I shouldnt of left but I completely freaked out because I realized I didnt have my ID and i didnt want to get in trouble so I left to go grab a cab and get it..by the time i came back my car was towed?
Or..i dont know..im pretty freaked out. Does anyone have any suggestions?

also ..if your going to respond to this telling me im an idiot for drinking and driving please don't. Ive definetly learned my lesson.:banghead:

No problem. Pray God for courage to tell the truth, walk into the police station, and tell them the truth. Problem solved. :)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That sort of problem has happened to a lot of us at one time or another. Like the one poster said be up front and tell the cops the truth, short of admitting impairment. A lot of bad sh*t can happen when you put yourself in such a position as you did, but you already know that & will be vigilant in that regard in future. Best of luck to you.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Don't tell the cops squat, let them do their own grunt work... nothing good ever comes from volunteering info to the cops.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Don't tell the cops squat, let them do their own grunt work... nothing good ever comes from volunteering info to the cops.

Telling the cops the truth upfront saves us money in taxes in having to hire more cops to do 'their own grunt work'.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Driving while your license was suspended
Driving while under the influence (not provable, though)
Leaving the scene of an accident.

You're in need of two things: a good lawyer, and a bicycle, because it will be quite some time before you get your license back. But go see a lawyer, and just get it straightened out.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Nope, I don't think they can give you a DUI. But you are on the hook for leaving the scene of an accident, which can be just as bad if not worse for you. You definitely didn't do yourself any favours.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Why would anyone incriminate them selves? Seriously now.

By 'incriminate', do you mean admitting to the crime or committing the crime? If defined by the latter, then he's already incriminated himself. Now it's just a matter of 'de-incriminating' himself by facing the music.

I agree though that few would do that, simply because those who would do that know they would and so fear committing the act even more, knowing they'd confess. As a result, it's usually only those who wouldn't have the courage to confess who have less fear of committing the act.

I'd guess too that when one of those who would confess commits the act, it's likely because he had no choice, such as self defense or something of the sort, and so it wouldn't be a crime anyway.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
OMG, being teetotaller myself, I admit that it's hard to sympathize with your situation. That said, I do wish you the best.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

The attitude I perceive here is counter productive. It's not so much how much you tell the cops as the attitude you display toward them. You never know when you might find one who is understanding, but either tell them the truth or say you would like to withhold answering until you've gotten legal advice. I WOULD NOT seek legal advice before knowing what you are being charged with. "Not telling the cops squat" is nothing short of being plain arrogant- if you're wrong you'll get a lot more mileage out of saying you've made a mistake rather than coming off like a real jerk.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Nope, I don't think they can give you a DUI. But you are on the hook for leaving the scene of an accident, which can be just as bad if not worse for you. You definitely didn't do yourself any favours.

I do not know for sure what the law says on leaving the scene of an accident, but I'm sure it's taken into account that those who do leave the scene of an accident do so to hide some crime or other. With that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if the penalty for leaving the scene of a crime is at least as severe as DUI, if not more so.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
By 'incriminate', do you mean admitting to the crime or committing the crime? If defined by the latter, then he's already incriminated himself. Now it's just a matter of 'de-incriminating' himself by facing the music.

I agree though that few would do that, simply because those who would do that know they would and so fear committing the act even more, knowing they'd confess. As a result, it's usually only those who wouldn't have the courage to confess who have less fear of committing the act.

I'd guess too that when one of those who would confess commits the act, it's likely because he had no choice, such as self defense or something of the sort, and so it wouldn't be a crime anyway.

Obviously, he will get nailed for leaving the scene, as for the DUI, the cops have no way to prove it so admitting to it would be rather stupid.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I do not know for sure what the law says on leaving the scene of an accident, but I'm sure it's taken into account that those who do leave the scene of an accident do so to hide some crime or other. With that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if the penalty for leaving the scene of a crime is at least as severe as DUI, if not more so.

It can carry jail time, especially when a judge finds that it was done to try to hide a crime. And the state of his buddy tells the judge all he needs to know about why omg ran. These are charges he WILL be facing, no ifs ands or buts.