Is Anonymity a right or a privilege?

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Would you allow to surrender your anonymity in order to be allowed to participate on a forum?

If you were known to the Forum by actual name would you be concerned about making harsh comments about the KKK, or other groups that may look for you, to get even.

That is where the internet is going are you going there too? Would you allow your self to be so vulnerable?

Then again censorship is counter productive to civil liberties under the Charter here in Canada.... Freedom of speech must and should be protected, as long as it causes no harm and speaks the truth..........................

Firefighters ask court to reveal posters’ names - Nova Scotia News - TheChronicleHerald.ca

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
My hubby's nickname here is L Gilbert (his signature says "Slainte! Les"), and mine is AnnaG. What's the big deal?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My anonymity on here has less to do with fear from strangers, and more to do with wanting privacy from people I know.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
My anonymity on here has less to do with fear from strangers, and more to do with wanting privacy from people I know.
Ahah, I'm an amateur stalker, you're fair game now. Bwaahahahahahahahha

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
A few people on this forum I have met in person a couple more have my phone number and with Canada 411 have my home address so people who are completely anonymous are that way because they wish to be...for their own reasons..
For the ladies I can absolutely understand why....

I, personally have nothing to hide

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Good choice, what if it became law, because people would defame others on the net when in fact it was not true?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
A few people on this forum I have met in person a couple more have my phone number and with Canada 411 have my home address so people who are completely anonymous are that way because they wish to be...for their own reasons..
For the ladies I can absolutely understand why....

I, personally have nothing to hide
Hey, guys. Want to know Sleepy's real name? It's Cornelius D. A. Sleeper. :D

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Good choice, what if it became law, because people would defame others on the net when in fact it was not true?
You mean like this: Jim Smith is a lying, cheating scumbag who likes to have sex with goats and mushrooms. :roll:

(There are over 30,000 people in the USA alone with the name Jim Smith). Which one was I referring to?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
The next time your phone rings and you hear heavy breathing ....Guess who?:lol::lol:
lmao

You mean like this: Jim Smith is a lying, cheating scumbag who likes to have sex with goats and mushrooms. :roll:

(There are over 30,000 people in the USA alone with the name Jim Smith). Which one was I referring to?
When we were lliving in Kelowna, there were two other Les Gilberts in the phone book.

And lookee here, I am famous: Anna Gilbert Music - Anna Gilbert Music - HOME

Anna C. Gilbert, Homepage of

Anna Gilbert Photography

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California

Yes! Defamation is a serious crime.. if I were to ever disclose my true name as Ken Pochinko and you posted something about me that is not true, not only is it a crime of defamation but what if it's not true? Whatever is on the internet sticks forever even if the website goes down.

Ever heard of the Internet International Archives? www.archive.org it is recording everything!

ps. Ignore my true name.. hehe haha hohoho! :lol:

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Yes! Defamation is a serious crime.. if I were to ever disclose my true name as Ken Pochinko and you posted something about me that is not true, not only is it a crime of defamation but what if it's not true? Whatever is on the internet sticks forever even if the website goes down.

Ever heard of the Internet International Archives? www.archive.org it is recording everything!

ps. Ignore my true name.. hehe haha hohoho! :lol:

It appears we are going there, apparently judges can ask for e-mail addresses from the forum, This would only apply to cases were harm was recorded based on the defaming comments. If the person defamed lets say the facts were against him or her then telling the truth should not be actionable.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
No, I would not surrender my anonymity. I like the idea that I can come on here and possibly post something I need feedback on, that I would not want my RL friends to know about me.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
It appears we are going there, apparently judges can ask for e-mail addresses from the forum, This would only apply to cases were harm was recorded based on the defaming comments. If the person defamed lets say the facts were against him or her then telling the truth should not be actionable.
I think that the only time that has happened is with the CHRC and that outfit , if the Canadian Senate has it's way is on it's way out..
Would you have any link to support what you stated???
Edit: Link

Last edited:

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
No, I would not surrender my anonymity. I like the idea that I can come on here and possibly post something I need feedback on, that I would not want my RL friends to know about me.
But what if a Judge says we must................

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
But what if a Judge says we must................

I'd be forced to say bye bye to the forum. Unless there was some cool way I could become an outlaw and live on line via proxy servers....If it was cool enough I might be convinced to live a life of crime. But I'd demand a cool outfit....

Last edited: