9 charged with bullying Mass. teen who killed self

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
"
NORTHAMPTON, Mass. — Insults and threats followed 15-year-old Phoebe Prince almost from her first day at South Hadley High School, targeting the Irish immigrant in the halls, library and in vicious cell phone text messages.
Phoebe, ostracized for having a brief relationship with a popular boy, reached her breaking point and hanged herself after one particularly hellish day in January — a day that, according to officials, included being hounded with slurs and pelted with a beverage container as she walked home from school.

Now, nine teenagers face charges in what a prosecutor called "unrelenting" bullying, including two teen boys charged with statutory rape and a clique of girls charged with stalking, criminal harassment and violating Phoebe's civil rights.

School officials won't be charged, even though authorities say they knew about the bullying and that Phoebe's mother brought her concerns to at least two of them.

Northwestern District Attorney Elizabeth Scheibel, who announced the charges Monday, said the events before Phoebe's death on Jan. 14 were "the culmination of a nearly three-month campaign of verbally assaultive behavior and threats of physical harm" widely known among the student body.
"The investigation revealed relentless activity directed toward Phoebe, designed to humiliate her and to make it impossible for her to remain at school," Scheibel said. "The bullying, for her, became intolerable."
Scheibel said the case is still under investigation and that one other person could be charged. It wasn't immediately known Monday whether the teens who have been charged have attorneys.
Scheibel said the harassment began in September, occurring primarily in school and in person, although some of it surfaced on Facebook and in other electronic forms. At least four students and two faculty members intervened to try to stop it or report it to administrators, she said.

Schiebel refused to discuss the circumstances of the rape charges.
No school officials are being charged because they had "a lack of understanding of harassment associated with teen dating relationships," and the school's code of conduct was interpreted and enforced in an "inconsistent" way, Scheibel said.
"Nevertheless, the actions — or inactions — of some adults at the school are troublesome," she said.

A message seeking comment was left Monday for South Hadley Schools Superintendent Gus A. Sayer.
Phoebe was born in Bedford, England and moved to County Clare, Ireland, when she was 2. She moved last summer to South Hadley, home to Mount Holyoke College, because the family had relatives there.
Her family has since moved away and could not immediately be located for comment. Scheibel spoke for them at a news conference to announce the charges.
"The Prince family has asked that the public refrain from vigilantism in favor of allowing the judicial system an opportunity to provide a measure of justice for Phoebe," she said.
Some students accused of participating in the bullying have been disciplined by the school and will not be returning to classes.
The Massachusetts Legislature cited Prince's death and the apparent suicide of 11-year-old Carl Walker-Hoover of Springfield last year when members passed anti-bullying legislation earlier this month.
South Hadley is among several college towns in western Massachusetts that pride themselves on their urbane cultural offerings, good schools and safe streets. After Phoebe's death, the community formed an anti-bullying task force that drew more than 400 people to its first meeting in February.

Robert Judge, a South Hadley selectman and task force member, said hundreds of people have become involved in hope that something good comes from the incident.
"Like most towns, we like to think of ourselves as a good place to live, and then this happens and your reputation is sullied nationally and even internationally, and people look at you differently, and they make assumptions," Judge said.
Scheibel said the teens will be issued summonses to appear in court on yet-undetermined dates. The teens who face criminal charges under the indictments announced Monday are:
_ Sean Mulveyhill, 17, of South Hadley. Charged with statutory rape, violation of civil rights resulting in bodily injury, criminal harassment and disturbance of a school assembly. A woman who answered the phone at his home Monday would not identify herself and told The Associated Press, "You don't know the full story."
_ Kayla Narey, 17, of South Hadley. Charged with violation of civil rights resulting in bodily injury, criminal harassment and disturbance of a school assembly. A message left at a number listed to a Narey family was not immediately returned; another line was out of service.
_ Austin Renaud, 18, of Springfield. Charged with statutory rape. A telephone number could not immediately be found.
_ Ashley Longe, 16, of South Hadley. Charged as a youthful offender with violation of civil rights resulting in bodily injury. A telephone number could not immediately be found.
_ Sharon Chanon Velazquez, 16, of South Hadley. Charged as a youthful offender with stalking and violation of civil rights resulting in bodily injury. There was no telephone listing.
_ Flannery Mullins, 16, of South Hadley. Charged as a youthful offender with stalking and violation of civil rights resulting in bodily injury. A message left at a Mullins home was not immediately returned.
Three 16-year-old South Hadley girls, whose names were not released, face delinquency charges that include the civil rights offense, criminal harassment and disturbance of a school assembly."

source is from Comcast.net: News, Sports, Video, TV listings, Email and more!

"a lack of understanding of harassment associated with teen dating relationships,"

really it sad most school can get away with this. its not a lack its lack of not caring for safety of students. as for a lady answer the phone saying " you don't know the full story" i don't think i really want to know the full story and according to this i am glad something being done.

though the school should still be charge period. aspect for those two faculity members try to stop. saddle enough it was not enough.

this doe snot surprise me at all.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
About time!

I am so happy these kids have to face up to what they did to this girl.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
"
NORTHAMPTON, Mass. — Insults and threats followed 15-year-old Phoebe Prince almost from her first day at South Hadley High School, targeting the Irish immigrant in the halls, library and in vicious cell phone text messages.
Phoebe, ostracized for having a brief relationship with a popular boy, reached her breaking point and hanged herself after one particularly hellish day in January — a day that, according to officials, included being hounded with slurs and pelted with a beverage container as she walked home from school.

Now, nine teenagers face charges in what a prosecutor called "unrelenting" bullying, including two teen boys charged with statutory rape and a clique of girls charged with stalking, criminal harassment and violating Phoebe's civil rights.

School officials won't be charged, even though authorities say they knew about the bullying and that Phoebe's mother brought her concerns to at least two of them.
If I were her mother, I'd be chatting with lawyer about civil suits against the school staff who knew about the abuse, and the school board since the law doesn't want to apply the full measure of justice.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
If I were her mother, I'd be chatting with lawyer about civil suits against the school staff who knew about the abuse, and the school board since the law doesn't want to apply the full measure of justice.

I agree 100%!

The big thing in schools is that the School Administrations don't want to face law suits if they accuse a child. I would bet the parents of a bullying child are a heck of a lot more difficult to deal with than a parent pleading with them to get a bully to stop.

Kids who are bullied simply want it to stop as do the parents.

Now this poor girl is dead because the school did not protect her. The interesting thing about this case is that the all of the bullies parents got lawyered up as soon as they heard this girl killed herself. They knew exactly why she decided to hang herself and that there was going to be a problem.

Gosh I hope they all do jail time for this. They tortured this girl.

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
this is what i was afraid to see. Now can you blame some student for doing gun sprees? its sad... she was very beitful young girl i feel for her family. I wish i could just give them a hug and help fight with them.

I like to protest signs down here at my local high school saying "stop bullying school need to stop bullying in schools" school need to take action not hide

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
this is what i was afraid to see. Now can you blame some student for doing gun sprees? its sad... she was very beitful young girl i feel for her family. I wish i could just give them a hug and help fight with them.

I like to protest signs down here at my local high school saying "stop bullying school need to stop bullying in schools" school need to take action not hide

Yes, I can blame them for doing gun sprees.

While what happens to people being bullied is horrible(particularly in this case, as they are saying that she was raped as well), killing numerous people(or even one bully) is not the answer. I was bullied in school, but I never wanted to get a gun and kill people. Hopefully the new anti-bullying laws will help to curtail(or end completely) school shootings.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
No school officials are being charged because they had "a lack of understanding of harassment associated with teen dating relationships," and the school's code of conduct was interpreted and enforced in an "inconsistent" way, Scheibel said.
"Nevertheless, the actions — or inactions — of some adults at the school are troublesome," she said.

Well, that's good to know. School officials were ignorant, uninformed, incompetent, and inconsistent, so they're not responsible for their lack of action.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well, that's good to know. School officials were ignorant, uninformed, incompetent, and inconsistent, so they're not responsible for their lack of action.

The sad part is that the school officials were informed and they ignored the pleas of the girl's mother. They just ignored the issue. I agree with the ignorant and incompetent part.

Hopefully the girl's parents will hold the school system responsible and take them to court.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
So, the bullies were charged. They will gewt away with nothing but a slap on the wrist, if even that.

The REAL guilty ones are the parents of these monsters, along with the indoctrinators in the school.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

While what happens to people being bullied is horrible(particularly in this case, as they are saying that she was raped as well), killing numerous people(or even one bully) is not the answer. I was bullied in school, but I never wanted to get a gun and kill people. Hopefully the new anti-bullying laws will help to curtail(or end completely) school shootings.

I am sorry you were bullied. That has to be one of the worst things to happen to a student in school.

I am not condoning shooting either but it does remind me of a story from years ago when a student did use a gun and gained national attention. He did not go on a shooting spree but he took care of the bully.

It was the standard bullying story. A male student of small stature and size being picked on by a much larger male in high school. For some reason he was chosen by this HS Football player to be bullied for the amusement of others. The bullied student said the final straw came when he was sitting at his desk and the bully flipped the chair with him in it in front of the whole class. He brought a gun to school the following Monday and pumped the bully full of lead killing him.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
So, the bullies were charged. They will gewt away with nothing but a slap on the wrist, if even that.

The REAL guilty ones are the parents of these monsters, along with the indoctrinators in the school.

I don't think so. I think they are going to be in big trouble. Two of the boys are being charged with statutory rape. I am hoping that they get what they deserve.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I agree 100%!

The big thing in schools is that the School Administrations don't want to face law suits if they accuse a child. I would bet the parents of a bullying child are a heck of a lot more difficult to deal with than a parent pleading with them to get a bully to stop.

Kids who are bullied simply want it to stop as do the parents.

Now this poor girl is dead because the school did not protect her. The interesting thing about this case is that the all of the bullies parents got lawyered up as soon as they heard this girl killed herself. They knew exactly why she decided to hang herself and that there was going to be a problem.

Gosh I hope they all do jail time for this. They tortured this girl.

I hope the parents of the bullies and the school board/staff (as Anna mentioned) all get sued into bankruptcy as well: they all share in the guilt. My wife and I had a discussion with her 12 year old son (my stepson) about why we impose rules on him and enforce them, leading us to explain the concept of the social contract parents undertake when they have children. Its too bad so many people have no understanding of this; perhaps if these parents did, a beautiful young girl would still be alive.

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
I hope the parents of the bullies and the school board/staff (as Anna mentioned) all get sued into bankruptcy as well: they all share in the guilt. My wife and I had a discussion with her 12 year old son (my stepson) about why we impose rules on him and enforce them, leading us to explain the concept of the social contract parents undertake when they have children. Its too bad so many people have no understanding of this; perhaps if these parents did, a beautiful young girl would still be alive.

bunch of parents want princable and superintended to resign for what happen here. as watching this locally on the news. one of the people who is supporting the... family says bullying is really not the right word. is a hate crime.

so here more details, the lady here was dating football player he was dating someone else. he is one of them charge in the crime. they call her a lot of names i really don't want to report.. let say.. the s word with where she from

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

And as I mentioned earlier, when this story broke and it came out that this girl killed herself as a result of being bullied the parents of the bullies already had lawyers for all their kids. Right when it broke on the news they all knew their kids were the cause and got lawyerd up.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The two boys if convicted could automatically become 'Registered Sex Offenders'. Something they will carry with them the rest of their lives. They will have to register with local police and their names will be publicly listed. The girls too, with the long memory of the internet, will find their lives disrupted in terms of careers and social life.

It's an exemplary case and my guess is there was one mastermind behind this, the girl who thought Phoebe had 'stolen' her boyfriend. All these kids were popular, 'A' listers in the school.. into sports and members of 'elite' and exclusive cliques. But their lives are going to defined by this for a long time.. in their colleges, careers and family lives.. regardless of whether they are convicted or not.

But it seems this had to blow up somewhere. There is plague of bullying in school. It's always been around, but in the self centred culture promoted by teen media these days it might be getting worse.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
.... this does not surprise me at all.

Doesn't surprise me either.... sounds very much like my entire school life up until graduation.

Certainly not uncommon and it's unfortunate that it falls on deaf ears until the victim does something drastic such as kill themselves or kill someone else for people to finally open their eyes to what is going on.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

To be perfectly honest, besides suicide, I thought of it when I was a kid.... going around, taking out the jerks who made my life a hell.... and taking out those who just stood by laughing and did nothing.

But I didn't.... nor obviously did I commit suicide, but I can not lie and say they weren't an every day thought. And there's a very thin line at that stage in life between "Thought" and "Action"

I guess it depends on the individual and exactly how much crap they're put through, not to mention how constant it is.

Added:

Oh and for the record, I'm almost 30 now and that was a long time ago. I have dealt with my past, moved on and take pleasure in knowing most of those people who made my life hell, are in worse situations then I currently am in life.

Karma's a B*tch afterall.

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
The two boys if convicted could automatically become 'Registered Sex Offenders'. Something they will carry with them the rest of their lives. They will have to register with local police and their names will be publicly listed. The girls too, with the long memory of the internet, will find their lives disrupted in terms of careers and social life.

It's an exemplary case and my guess is there was one mastermind behind this, the girl who thought Phoebe had 'stolen' her boyfriend. All these kids were popular, 'A' listers in the school.. into sports and members of 'elite' and exclusive cliques. But their lives are going to defined by this for a long time.. in their colleges, careers and family lives.. regardless of whether they are convicted or not.

But it seems this had to blow up somewhere. There is plague of bullying in school. It's always been around, but in the self centred culture promoted by teen media these days it might be getting worse.

Unfortunately it seems to take a decent person killing themselves or others before the above is realized and these effects take hold of their lives. Until then, it's almost always on the shoulders of the victim alone.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It takes one hell of a lot of courage to speak up. You just know the bully's going to catch wind of it and your own troubles just magnified to epic proportions. Nine chances out of ten, the bully has his/her circle of disciplines - and you-lie-and-I'll-swear-to-it is the code in every gang. I was at the point of no return too - being a farm kid in a cliquish high school. Funny how the bullying came to an abrupt end the day I got in a fast one that planted his face into a locker. Oh, I took a pounding when I stood up to him - but it wasn't long before other kids who were on his hit list stood up to be counted. Sadly, that is more the exception than the rule.