Respect Anyone ?

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Am I the only one who has noticed that people have little or no understanding of "RESPECT"..

As I tried to fall asleep last night I was kept awake by noisy neighbours.. I wondered how they would like being kept up past 1:30 am, 2:30 am, 3:30 am still going at 4 am when the police finally showed up to tell them to go to sleep or be fined…

This happened last year when I had my sick son with me and kept calling the police on what was a very busy night for them. I could tell I was not the only person as others were shouting outside and a screaming match was on making matters even worse..

OK so you say, let the kids have some fun.. But these are not kids.. They are older adults who get physically upset when they are kept awake by others.. And their fun is taking away from my right to sleep. Am I sore that I can’t party like them? Hardly as used too many years ago BUT never kept anyone up or had the police show up at our door. At 11 pm the music went off are we would talk in a low voice. Those who got mouthy ( no RESPECT ) got sent home.

I have also noticed many people just going out of their way to be spiteful lately.. I had been thinking perhaps it was the economy but when I thought about it, it started way before the crash, so no excuse there..

Perhaps we need to instill in our kids a better value of kindness and fellow mankind spirit.. We can talk about getting rid of wars all we want but if we can’t even act civil to each other in person, forums and or families, why bother getting rid of the things that will destroy mankind. We are already well underway on that path.

I guess I miss the days when I was younger and people cared about others. Perhaps it is why we have a population that cannot trust anyone anymore. I know trust and respect are earned but people seem not to care about trying to build any of that anywhere anymore..

That's my gripe lately.. I guess maybe I feel like Rodney Dangerfield.. No Respect.. :lol:

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
You have to respect the person who is going through hell because they are in dire straights.

Respect is a two way street by you calling the police as opposed to trying to talk to the person next door is no respect.

You got to give respect in order to get respect is a person chronically complains will never get respect.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Over here we allow a certain amount of respect to people on good faith. After that if they choose to earn more respect or destroy that "good faith" respect is up to them.
There's a decided lack of even the most basic courtesy, let alone respect. It seems for a large part in some areas, people have to earn respect these days before they are treated as anything but scum. That's pretty sad but we've made society what it is and society molds people into what they are. We made our bed, we lie in it.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
You have to respect the person who is going through hell because they are in dire straights.

Respect is a two way street by you calling the police as opposed to trying to talk to the person next door is no respect.

You got to give respect in order to get respect is a person chronically complains will never get respect.

Well in the 6 years I have lived here I have called the police only once.. Yes I called repeatedly that night but it was crazy as my son was really sick, and people were screaming from all different locations.. It was mayhem at its best and like a war zone..

Other then that, I usually put up with the noise, especially when I am alone like last night.. I have talked too the two neighbours who basically just don't give a rats a$$.. Especially when a few beers and drugs have been consumed it is fruitless to go out there and putting oneself in danger is stupid, but I have for the sake of being a good neighbour I have..

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Over here we allow a certain amount of respect to people on good faith. After that if they choose to earn more respect or destroy that "good faith" respect is up to them.
There's a decided lack of even the most basic courtesy, let alone respect. It seems for a large part in some areas, people have to earn respect these days before they are treated as anything but scum. That's pretty sad but we've made society what it is and society molds people into what they are. We made our bed, we lie in it.

I agree with you on the courtesy Les.. I think that people just have no boundaries, until of course it comes to their own rights being violated ;-)..

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
A couple of years back we had an NLTP Club House on our street. It was
across the street and down about six houses, about mid-block. Running
out of that house where not only drug sales but about 1/2 a dozen underage
Hookers.

Many residents on this street where hassled & threatened as they happened
to be wearing the wrong colors of clothing (I'm not kidding). I avoided that
issue as my critters to gangbangers are like garlic to vampires....

For three consecutive summer weekends in June/July of 2008, they had big
blowout parties (200-400 people in & around that 800sq.ft. dwelling and its
yard) that included Bat-Fights, most vehicles on the street being vandalized
repeatedly, high-speed round-the-block rat races, and an attempted vehicular
homicide with a 1/ton chasing people across several lawns....

The Police would come out usually around midnight, and then would do drive
bye's about once an hour....but wouldn't do anything until the sun would come
up and the crowd would thin out....and then they'd roll in with a dozen or more
cars and a score of officiers once the parties would be pretty much over....as
200-400 people would tell the police to just "F-Off" 5-6hrs earlier...and the
police would just leave....leaving the area's residents to fend for themselves.

When it was safer, and after the damage would be over, and the crowd was down
to 10-15 barely functioning idiots that a stiff breeze could take care off, and the
sun was up for a while, the Police would roll through like wrath of God....

Anyway, after most of the windows where smashed out, and the doors where
ripped off of the house...and the exterior front wall of the house was broken
(by a vehicle impact, by the Gangbangers & not the Police, just to be clear),
the Landlord boarded up the house repeatedly, and eventually the crew in
the house left.

Francis2004, I can empathize with what you're saying, and I understand how
frustrated you are as I've been there....but I'm just letting you know that it could
be much worse. Silver lining and glass 1/2 full sort'a thing. Yeah, something
has changed and not for the best in the last couple of decades...

Downhome_Woman

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2008
Ontariariario

From what Francis has said, these people were not going through hell because they were in dire straights - they were partying heavily. Let me posted what he said,"As I tried to fall asleep last night I was kept awake by noisy neighbours.. I wondered how they would like being kept up past 1:30 am, 2:30 am, 3:30 am still going at 4 am when the police finally showed up to tell them to go to sleep or be fined…

This happened last year when I had my sick son with me and kept calling the police on what was a very busy night for them. I could tell I was not the only person as others were shouting outside and a screaming match was on making matters even worse.

To tell the truth, I'd really hesitate to go to someone's door at 1:30 in int morning , to ask them if they could be a bit more quiet. And if they continued until 4 a.m.? Definately. These are people who don't give a damn about their neighbours. He says that it happened last year as well, while he was with her sick son. what was he supposed to do? Leave his child to go and confront a group of people who obviously didn't give a damn about their neighbours? You seem to be tagging him as a person who 'chronically complained'. Personally, I have a lot of respect for him. He's got the guts to complain about people who have no problems getting drunk/stoned and what else. He wasn't complaining about a neighbour who didn't cut their grass, or who let their dog loose every once in a while. He was lodging a complaint against neighbours who partied loudly until all hours of the morning and had no respect for their neighbours. Why should he have to go over and asked them to be quiet? Common sense would dictate that after a certain hour, you become more quiet out of respect for those neighbours who have to get up in the morning. and quite frankly, 'screaming and shouting' people? I wouldn't feel safe , going over to ask them to be more quiet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Francis2004, I can empathize with what you're saying, and I understand how
frustrated you are as I've been there....but I'm just letting you know that it could
be much worse. Silver lining and glass 1/2 full sort'a thing. Yeah, something
has changed and not for the best in the last couple of decades...

Hi Ron, its not that bad but can get pretty crazy.. One of the neighbours is about 200 yards away and had the music so loud ( that was the call the police last year ) that my bed was literally jumping up and down in a complex a block away.. When the police finally showed up they said they had about 50 calls but just were out manned.. We are talking across one major street, thick tree and fences.. It was disturbing a total of 5 complexes ( 3 apartment buildings and 2 townhouse complexes ). All that for people playing music, drinking and more then likely doing drugs..

To tell the truth, I'd really hesitate to go to someone's door at 1:30 in int morning , to ask them if they could be a bit more quiet. And if they continued until 4 a.m.? Definately. These are people who don't give a damn about their neighbours. She says that it happened last year as well, while she was with her sick son. what was she supposed to do? Leave her child to go and confront a group of people who obviously didn't give a damn about their neighbours? You seem to be tagging her as a person who 'chronically complained'. Personally, I have a lot of respect for her. she's got the guts to complain about people who have no problems getting drunk/stoned and what else. She wasn't complaining about a neighbour who didn't cut their grass, or who let their dog loose every once in a while. She was lodging a complaint against neighbours who partied loudly until all hours of the morning and had no respect for their neighbours. Why should she have to go over and asked them to be quiet? Common sense would dictate that after a certain hour, you become more quiet out of respect for those neighbours who have to get up in the morning. and quite frankly, 'screaming and shouting' people? I wouldn't feel safe , going over to ask them to be more quiet.

I am a he, my dear.. :lol:

And luckily my daughter was at the house that night.. So I was able to leave my son with her.. But I am not always so fortunate.. Now that she is 18 she is not so often at the house and more at her b/friends and or out..

But I agree that even going next door to the people who were parting and drinking at 2 am, whom I know, was intimidating.. And they just brushed my concerns aside and told me to go home and kept screaming when they partied.. For them I did not call the police but being that they are in my complex they got a fine and letter stating they would get more serious issues if they continued.. Funny thing was, it wasn't me that complained but I guarantee they think it was because I went out.. :-(

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Bump.

Downhome_Woman

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2008
Ontariariario
Hi Ron, its not that bad but can get pretty crazy.. One of the neighbours is about 200 yards away and had the music so loud ( that was the call the police last year ) that my bed was literally jumping up and down in a complex a block away.. When the police finally showed up they said they had about 50 calls but just were out manned.. We are talking across one major street, thick tree and fences.. It was disturbing a total of 5 complexes ( 3 apartment buildings and 2 townhouse complexes ). All that for people playing music, drinking and more then likely doing drugs..

I am a he, my dear.. :lol:

And luckily my daughter was at the house that night.. So I was able to leave my son with her.. But I am not always so fortunate.. Now that she is 18 she is not so often at the house and more at her b/friends and or out..

But I agree that even going next door to the people who were parting and drinking at 2 am, whom I know, was intimidating.. And they just brushed my concerns aside and told me to go home and kept screaming when they partied.. For them I did not call the police but being that they are in my complex they got a fine and letter stating they would get more serious issues if they continued.. Funny thing was, it wasn't me that complained but I guarantee they think it was because I went out.. :-(
To the fine gentleman with the name of Francis - my apologies!:)

Downhome_Woman

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2008
Ontariariario
Well it's not a bed that i made. I was brought up to treat others with common courtesy. i was taught to believe that my right to do what I want ends where theirs begin. I might want to play music and party until all hours but because I live amongst others, I have to consider what their needs are.
and guess what - we brought up our children to do the same. I don't expect anything from society that I don't expect from myself.

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what kind of sissy police you must have. I was in Atlanta when the bomb went off at the Olympics some years ago. The entire city of Atlanta was "wrapped" in solid law enforcement of the federal variety. Our local police don't put up with that nonsense.

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
The last time that happened on our street (and we were 7 houses down), our local police put an immediate stop to it. Period. Across the street from the party was a family with a newborn. It was SO loud - I literally jumped like I had been shot and nearly fell off my chair. It did sound like a bomb. Complaints were coming in non-stop. It never happened again after the police came...not one peep.

Uncle

Bomb and loud party aren't quite the same thing.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The last time that happened on our street (and we were 7 houses down), our local police put an immediate stop to it. Period. Across the street from the party was a family with a newborn. It was SO loud - I literally jumped like I had been shot and nearly fell off my chair. It did sound like a bomb. Complaints were coming in non-stop. It never happened again after the police came...not one peep.

Uncle

I've often thought there is a right time for a tazer....

Cops here would prefer not to go face to face with a crowd of stoned-up partiers. That always gets messy. Busting the left-overs means lots less paperwork.

Downhome_Woman

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2008
Ontariariario
I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what kind of sissy police you must have. I was in Atlanta when the bomb went off at the Olympics some years ago. The entire city of Atlanta was "wrapped" in solid law enforcement of the federal variety. Our local police don't put up with that nonsense.
Give me a break - I lived in Montgomery years ago and it wasn't uncommon to watch the news and have people complain about the lack of response when they called the police. come to think of it, I still see it on the news. Y'all seem to have sissy police as well...
And as was recently said - theres a difference between a bomb and those that party a bit too hardy ...

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Am I the only one who has noticed that people have little or no understanding of "RESPECT"..

As I tried to fall asleep last night I was kept awake by noisy neighbours.. I wondered how they would like being kept up past 1:30 am, 2:30 am, 3:30 am still going at 4 am when the police finally showed up to tell them to go to sleep or be fined…

This happened last year when I had my sick son with me and kept calling the police on what was a very busy night for them. I could tell I was not the only person as others were shouting outside and a screaming match was on making matters even worse..

OK so you say, let the kids have some fun.. But these are not kids.. They are older adults who get physically upset when they are kept awake by others.. And their fun is taking away from my right to sleep. Am I sore that I can’t party like them? Hardly as used too many years ago BUT never kept anyone up or had the police show up at our door. At 11 pm the music went off are we would talk in a low voice. Those who got mouthy ( no RESPECT ) got sent home.

I have also noticed many people just going out of their way to be spiteful lately.. I had been thinking perhaps it was the economy but when I thought about it, it started way before the crash, so no excuse there..

Perhaps we need to instill in our kids a better value of kindness and fellow mankind spirit.. We can talk about getting rid of wars all we want but if we can’t even act civil to each other in person, forums and or families, why bother getting rid of the things that will destroy mankind. We are already well underway on that path.

I guess I miss the days when I was younger and people cared about others. Perhaps it is why we have a population that cannot trust anyone anymore. I know trust and respect are earned but people seem not to care about trying to build any of that anywhere anymore..

That's my gripe lately.. I guess maybe I feel like Rodney Dangerfield.. No Respect.. :lol:
Hi Bud,
You are so so right. Lack of respect everywhere is rampant. It bothers me too. Foul language is also a lack of respect and as you have pointed out, there is a lack of respect person to person and it's also child to adult or younger adult to older adult. I notice on here that no one minds using foul language or being insulting to people who are in their 70's. I wouldn't dream of talking to a person older than me in such a disrespectful way unless of course - they were very nasty people themselves. No one on here near or over that age fits the catagory of nasty people. They rightly defend themselves but they do so with dignity. In other words, they take pride in themselves and I fully respect that.
I'd like to see a few things changed. Pride (respect) for the way people dress themselves. People don't comb their hair or put on clean clothes. They are rude to others far more often than necessary. Neighbours seldom respect neighbours and people don't know their neighbours anymore. We throw up 6 foot fences so our neighbours cannot bother us. We hide behind anoniminity on the internet. One person here used to be very nasty. That person seems to have changed drastically and is showing a very grown up, respectful side of themselves. If I am right, I won't even have to name them because they will know who they are. It's nice. Others have fallen off the deep end and don't seem to know when to quit falling or how to get back up. That's sad. You brought up a very good subject but it's odd how people avoid talking about it. Do we see ourselves when we talk about it???

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Hi Bud,
You are so so right. Lack of respect everywhere is rampant. It bothers me too. Foul language is also a lack of respect and as you have pointed out, there is a lack of respect person to person and it's also child to adult or younger adult to older adult. I notice on here that no one minds using foul language or being insulting to people who are in their 70's. I wouldn't dream of talking to a person older than me in such a disrespectful way unless of course - they were very nasty people themselves. No one on here near or over that age fits the catagory of nasty people. They rightly defend themselves but they do so with dignity. In other words, they take pride in themselves and I fully respect that.
I'd like to see a few things changed. Pride (respect) for the way people dress themselves. People don't comb their hair or put on clean clothes. They are rude to others far more often than necessary. Neighbours seldom respect neighbours and people don't know their neighbours anymore. We throw up 6 foot fences so our neighbours cannot bother us. We hide behind anoniminity on the internet. One person here used to be very nasty. That person seems to have changed drastically and is showing a very grown up, respectful side of themselves. If I am right, I won't even have to name them because they will know who they are. It's nice. Others have fallen off the deep end and don't seem to know when to quit falling or how to get back up. That's sad. You brought up a very good subject but it's odd how people avoid talking about it. Do we see ourselves when we talk about it???

I'm just going to address a couple of things you have brought up.

one, there is no way for anyone to know, unless one knew the person in person, how old someone is just by their typing. I have been "online" and dealing with people from the time of bulletin board services(which were the precursor to the internet), and have dealt with many different types. There have been many times where males pretended to be females, females pretended to be males, kids pretending they were older, adults pretending they were younger. I have seen "older" posters use the "age" thing like a club, and younger posters use their "lack of age" as an excuse.

When someone shows me that they deserve deference or respect online, that is when I hand it out. I have done it in reverse many years ago online, and was sh*t on. So no more.

As for the general tone of this thread....concerning kids not having respect in the real world, or people in general.....I call bullsh*t. Over all those statements are crap. Yes, there are some that don't show respect, young and old, but for the most part I don't find that at all. Most of my kids friends and school mates have always shown respect for my wife and I. If any of you have not experienced this, for the most part, then I feel sorry for you and suggest that you look in the mirror for the reason that you are being direspected so badly by so many.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I'm just going to address a couple of things you have brought up.

one, there is no way for anyone to know, unless one knew the person in person, how old someone is just by their typing. I have been "online" and dealing with people from the time of bulletin board services(which were the precursor to the internet), and have dealt with many different types. There have been many times where males pretended to be females, females pretended to be males, kids pretending they were older, adults pretending they were younger. I have seen "older" posters use the "age" thing like a club, and younger posters use their "lack of age" as an excuse.

When someone shows me that they deserve deference or respect online, that is when I hand it out. I have done it in reverse many years ago online, and was sh*t on. So no more.

As for the general tone of this thread....concerning kids not having respect in the real world, or people in general.....I call bullsh*t. Over all those statements are crap. Yes, there are some that don't show respect, young and old, but for the most part I don't find that at all. Most of my kids friends and school mates have always shown respect for my wife and I. If any of you have not experienced this, for the most part, then I feel sorry for you and suggest that you look in the mirror for the reason that you are being direspected so badly by so many.
Generally speaking gerry, I am in full agreement with you. In regard to posters on here, I know there are some that lead us to believe they are older than they are, younger than they are, live in a different place then they say or are a different sex then they say. There are also a couple who outright say how old they are and we both know who I am speaking about.
I didn't realize when I wrote my post that there were many other responses. I'll go to where you are talking about young people of today. I have to say that for the most part my hat goes off to them. Naturally, I work with quite a number of them but whether I work with them or sell groceries to young people, they are surprizingly respectful. As am example, I had a guy through my till just last night. He had the earrings through the nose and tatooes all down his arms and I expected to speak to someone a bit on the gruff side. He was so nice and so polite. He chatted for a few minutes as he was the only one at the till at that moment. He wished me a good evening and left. I'll take someone like him around anyday. It's rare - very rare for a so called bad kid to pass through my till. I don't have any trouble with them. However, maybe respect begets respect. I note by what they are buying what they are heading out to do often times. When they talk about a trip and I see by what they are buying they are heading up Island I ask if they are going skiing or going surfing. Most are going surfing on Long Beach and since I can say I lived there - they are more than ready to talk to me about it. I enjoy them.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
As I get older I find one thing that really bothers me is unnecessary noise, be it screeching times or loud music. I think these are areas where common sense is often lacking. YOu see cars downtown with music at 7000 decibels eminating, what kind of common sense is that. If people are drinking and being obnoxious, let the cops deal with it, barging in there in a pissed off mood is a sure way to get hurt. Anyway, since when are inconsiderate people going to listen to reason? I think by and large the population as a whole is quite respectful, but there is an element that is really bad.