Hot Dog Reform

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
It seems that the hot dog is a deadly choking hazard so far as the American Academy of Pediatrics is concerned and wants the legendary fast food redesigned. However, hot dogs a re just one offender among many. Other potentially deadly foods include hard candy, nuts, grapes, popcorn, marshmallows, peanut butter, chewing gum and raw carrots. In other words whatever a child can put into its mouth is considered a choking hazard. The solution - put warning labels on all of these products. Either that or feed children a 100% liquid diet.

Wanted: a redesigned hot dog - The Globe and Mail

TheJokkette

Mar 2, 2010
Calgary
Well one must wonder, why is parent feeding their toddler or young child hot dog in the first place. It's food full of chemicals and meat filler, no real substance what so ever.
At any rate, I am in agreeance with, Liberalman.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It seems that the hot dog is a deadly choking hazard so far as the American Academy of Pediatrics is concerned and wants the legendary fast food redesigned. However, hot dogs a re just one offender among many. Other potentially deadly foods include hard candy, nuts, grapes, popcorn, marshmallows, peanut butter, chewing gum and raw carrots. In other words whatever a child can put into its mouth is considered a choking hazard. The solution - put warning labels on all of these products. Either that or feed children a 100% liquid diet.

Nannyism at its best.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

No- a child under the age of 8 or so has to be supervised by an adult while eating.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
No- a child under the age of 8 or so has to be supervised by an adult while eating.
Egg Zachary.
I guess the American Academy of Pediatrists doesn't have any faith in parents.
Age 8 might be a bit overkill, though. My kids were fixing their own breakfasts and snacks before that age.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC

I note the last paragraph in that linked article might be the smartest one: "Ms. Testani says parents and child-care providers must instead watch children while they're eating. “We're monitoring the children very, very closely,” she says. “The key is sitting the children down and having them focused on eating rather than running around.”

I wonder about the proposed solutions of "warning labels" and resdesigned foods. What the hell...? Warning labels? Just what we need..."CAUTION: This hot dog may cause death if inhaled improperly!" Doesn't that sound intelligent?

Perhaps redesigned parenting might be a better thought.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
First we teach our children to chew properly, then teach our kids to eat the best hot dogs Sabrett hot dogs or Hebrew National. New parents today must be taught everything.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
First we teach our children to chew properly, then teach our kids to eat the best hot dogs Sabrett hot dogs or Hebrew National. New parents today must be taught everything.

Well now, there's a point, Ironsides. I'm jealous because it is possible to find some good 'dogs in the states, especially in the big cities. Found a place once in Chicago that made their own hot dogs in the "back room" and they used good cuts of pork to do it. They showed me the manufacturing process when I asked, and I noted that they didn't include the usual eyeballs, nostrils, a$$holes, and other assorted "real meat" fillers that are usually used in these treats.

Boy, that was a great hot dog experience and as far as I know, we have no such place(s) up here in the Great White North. Pity. It's been a long time since I was in the Windy City and that was the last time I had a hot dog! (3 of them, actually)

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
This was on Global news the other day. One restaurant (I think in Toronto) slices bologna, puts it on a hamburger bun and calls it a round hotdog...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Egg Zachary.
I guess the American Academy of Pediatrists doesn't have any faith in parents.
Age 8 might be a bit overkill, though. My kids were fixing their own breakfasts and snacks before that age.

Is that a brother of Eggs Benedict? :lol::lol:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This Thread reminds me of a guy on the radio a few days back talking
about his book,

"Fifty Dangerous Things (You Should Let Your Children Do)"

It was pretty cool, & covered most of the things we all did as Kids anyway,
but are not correct to allow your children to do now it seems....

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This Thread reminds me of a guy on the radio a few days back talking
about his book,

"Fifty Dangerous Things (You Should Let Your Children Do)"

It was pretty cool, & covered most of the things we all did as Kids anyway,
but are not correct to allow your children to do now it seems....

I often think back to when I was about 4 years old when my parents had an old (20s vintage) Dodge sedan with the back seat missing - my seat was about an 18" diameter block of wood - I guess the thought of me or the block of wood becoming missile never entered their heads.................but those were the good old days:lol::lol::lol:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I remember being in the back seat of my uncle's 57 Buick. We were traveling down a country road in the Eastern Townships. It was straight but there was a sudden 15 foot rise, about 100 feet of flat and then a 15 foot drop. He purposely took it at a bout 80 miles an hour. We all went air born in the back seat (no seat belts), slammed into the ceiling and back into the seat. Boy, was that fun! We laughed for miles.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Things like dodgeball, climbing tree's, playing with fire, having a pocket
knife, using power tools, lawn darts, throwing a spear, letting your kid
drive on a country road when nobody is around, ride in the back of a
pick-up, etc...all things that we all did...but are not PC or "safe" anymore.

Not that any of these things where ever safe, but...:canada:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
about bumper sking in winter...or tieing your tobagon to the back of the old mans car while he towed ya around the neighbourhood at 30 miles an hour....lol

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Things like dodgeball, climbing tree's, playing with fire, having a pocket
knife, using power tools, lawn darts, throwing a spear, letting your kid
drive on a country road when nobody is around, ride in the back of a
pick-up, etc...all things that we all did...but are not PC or "safe" anymore.

Not that any of these things where ever safe, but...:canada:

But we all survived!

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Like my Father say'n, "If you're going to play with that Welder, you HAVE
to wear that mask ALL the time, & stay away from the BBQ with that!"

I was about seven. That was a fun afternoon. Went through a lot of rods,
& didn't touch his BBQ (with the welder :lol:).