Vancouver police apologize after man beaten

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Is it just me or are the cops getting a bit out of control?

CBC News - British Columbia - Vancouver police apologize after man beaten

Last Updated: Friday, January 22, 2010 | 5:10 AM PT Comments1215Recommend514

CBC News

Yao Wei Wu demonstrates what he says happened to him during an encounter with Vancouver police Wednesday morning. (CBC) The Vancouver Police Department has issued an apology after a man said he was beaten by officers who knocked on the wrong door while investigating a report of a violent domestic dispute.
Plainclothes officers arrived at the right house at 2 a.m. PT Wednesday near Knight and 49th Street in East Vancouver, but they were at the wrong suite, police admitted in a news release Thursday.
Speaking through a translator, Yao Wei Wu told CBC News that as soon as he opened the door the officers pulled him out of the house and beat him.
He was hit multiple times on the back, head and face, said Yao, 44.
He said he did not resist because the men had guns.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
These plain-clothed officers may have pulled this guy out of his house at 2:30am and
beat the snot out'a him....but on a positive note (silver lining & glass 1/2 full) they where
at least at the right building on the right street....just the wrong apartment suite. They
would have been close enough to the actual domestic dispute to maybe follow up on it
if time permitted.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Well, I'm all for law and order but it appears they screwed up here in a big way. Don't know the circumstances of the call they received, but it must have been enough to get the cops all excited...maybe a bit too excited, by the sounds of it.

We only have one side of the story so far (the victim's), but judging by the condition of his face, they might have overdone the "restraining" part. The story claims he didn't resist, and if true, I wonder what he might have looked like if he had resisted.

Something caused this to happen but I can't imagine what it would have been. I don't think there is any excuse for it though...the VPD would do themselves a favour by fixing the problem right now...if that includes charging and firing the cops who did it, so be it. I mean, beating the crap out of the wrong person is a bit of a career-ender, in my opinion. They're supposed to be trained to do this stuff.

Besides, it makes all the good cops (the vast majority) who are out there serving and protecting us look like hell. And gives all the extreme anti law and order people something to scream about.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think what we are seeing here is the proverbial "rotten apple in the barrel". Folks is folks no matter what job they do, most are all right. BUT this pair of "rotten apples" has to be fired and charged with aggravated assault, before the rest of the force is infected.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I think what we are seeing here is the proverbial "rotten apple in the barrel". Folks is folks no matter what job they do, most are all right. BUT this pair of "rotten apples" has to be fired and charged with aggravated assault, before the rest of the force is infected.

What ever happened to those 3 cops that beat up that newspaper guy?
Didnt they say someone slipped them drugs or something?

They get off way too easy IMO.
One guy I worked with got shot in a drunk tank,once in the back and once in the stomach,the cops did everything in their power to protect Constable Ferguson from a murder charge even though many cops refused to partner with him because of his anger issues.
He eventually was charged with manslaughter and got a slap on the wrist.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Still it's disturbing that they beat the hell out of him,do they treat all suspects like that?
The only reason this one beating made the news is because it was the wrong guy.
When they beat the right guy and he complains to media they don't care because it doesn't sell ad space or air time.

There is some thing seriously wrong with police these days.

We need peace officers brought back because the enforcement officers of today are pure garbage.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The only reason this one beating made the news is because it was the wrong guy.
When they beat the right guy and he complains to media they don't care because it doesn't sell ad space or air time.

There is some thing seriously wrong with police these days.

We need peace officers brought back because the enforcement officers of today are pure garbage.

Historically this is the way pre-emptive beatings of police begin. The seriously wrong thing is that they ain't working for us commoners anymore.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I can't for the life of me understand 'why' these policemen,
who are usually fairly big, trained, and not alone, can't
just 'restrain' a person, it would be so easy for them,
what is the 'beating' up all about anyway, how come they
forgot to taiser him ????? as they usually 'love' to do.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Still it's disturbing that they beat the hell out of him,do they treat all suspects like that?
Not so much anymore.
My sis's friend used to have an apartment across the back alley from the VPD and they saw some awful sights and heard some awful stuff. I think city cops anywhere were never held to the same standards as the RCMP used to be.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Look, we've all got to realize that once the police look at you, they have permission to beat the crap out of you, because you're most likely guilty of something. He should be thankful they didn't just kill him for being in the place they went.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Not so much anymore.
My sis's friend used to have an apartment across the back alley from the VPD and they saw some awful sights and heard some awful stuff. I think city cops anywhere were never held to the same standards as the RCMP used to be.
The Montreal cops back in the 60s were brutal. Any excuse to beat the snot out of anybody. Kinda reminds me of the Gastown riot of 68. I think city police have always had a sadistic streak, it is now reported. Back then it was always reported that the victims started it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I can't for the life of me understand 'why' these policemen,
who are usually fairly big, trained, and not alone, can't
just 'restrain' a person, it would be so easy for them,
what is the 'beating' up all about anyway, how come they
forgot to taiser him ????? as they usually 'love' to do.

BECAUSE these guys are just plain mean, they probably lack skills and talent, have low self esteem because they haven't done anything in life to be proud of. Just third class bullies.