Haitian Student's Reports From Haiti

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
CBC ran a clip from a group of students in Haiti who are studying film making. They all made it through the earthquake and since then have been busy filming and uploading their videos to the internet.

This is a rather different view then what we have been seeing on the news. Well worth a look for those of us wanting a more balanced viewpoint.

NEWS

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Went back and read about these kids on their website. The after shock today chased them outdoors but nobody was hurt and their equipment survived. However, their internet link is temporarily down. They were able to report that aid is finally arriving in Jacmel.They've sent five young reporters into the field to film more of the outlying areas that have yet to see aid.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Went back and read about these kids on their website. The after shock today chased them outdoors but nobody was hurt and their equipment survived. However, their internet link is temporarily down. They were able to report that aid is finally arriving in Jacmel.They've sent five young reporters into the field to film more of the outlying areas that have yet to see aid.

I'm thinking these kids might be doing a better job than some of the more seasoned reporters. Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase, "Fair & Balanced."
Good for them!

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
Thanks for posting that, Mowich. I had heard the story on CBC radio and was hoping to see their videos. "On Tuesday, they watched their school crumble during the 7.0-magnitude quake, then climbed through the rubble to find their cameras. The reports they've sent back are among the first from an area cut off from Port-au-Prince and cut off from any kind of aid. "They're out on the streets. They're posting reports on a website. It's the only positive story to come out of Haiti, that these students are able to hit the ground using the skills that we taught them and they're just rising above everything," said Nocenti, a journalist and filmmaker who was once an editor at Marvel." That whole story is posted here: CBC News - Film - Young Haitian filmmakers send out footage CountryBoy, I found that by doing a search from CBC's home page for Haitian film students, CBC.ca - Canadian News Sports Entertainment Kids Docs Radio TV I thought maybe I could find the clip you were looking for and I got over 2,500 hits. As much as I'd love to sort through all of them for you, I kinda ain't got that much free time. Sorry, bud. :lol:

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Thanks for posting that, Mowich. I had heard the story on CBC radio and was hoping to see their videos. "On Tuesday, they watched their school crumble during the 7.0-magnitude quake, then climbed through the rubble to find their cameras. The reports they've sent back are among the first from an area cut off from Port-au-Prince and cut off from any kind of aid. "They're out on the streets. They're posting reports on a website. It's the only positive story to come out of Haiti, that these students are able to hit the ground using the skills that we taught them and they're just rising above everything," said Nocenti, a journalist and filmmaker who was once an editor at Marvel." That whole story is posted here: CBC News - Film - Young Haitian filmmakers send out footage CountryBoy, I found that by doing a search from CBC's home page for Haitian film students, CBC.ca - Canadian News Sports Entertainment Kids Docs Radio TV I thought maybe I could find the clip you were looking for and I got over 2,500 hits. As much as I'd love to sort through all of them for you, I kinda ain't got that much free time. Sorry, bud. :lol:

No sweat Hermite, but thanks for the thought. I'm on dial-up so I don't bother with clips and such...nobody has that much time! ;-)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
No sweat Hermite, but thanks for the thought. I'm on dial-up so I don't bother with clips and such...nobody has that much time! ;-)
3:30 am! CB, I thought I was the only one with sleeping problems.
I used to be on dial up but since I got high speed I'm afraid I is addicted. I have had to work on a few computers that were on dial up. Drove me bonkers. I work at the computer access center in Nakusp. We provide high speed for people who can't afford computers or high speed. I tell people on dial up to buy a flash drive and come to the access center to get downloads and updates and take them home instead of trying on dial up.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
You bet! They're doing an excellent job. News cameras only seek out the stuff that gets ratings. Great find, Mowich

Thanks, lone wolf. I was really impressed with these kids. In spite of all they had to go through and the long wait for aid, they kept filming and reporting just like the professionals they are training to be. I'd say, from what I've read, that they are doing a much better job of reporting than the major networks.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I used to be on dial up but since I got high speed I'm afraid I is addicted. I have had to work on a few computers that were on dial up. Drove me bonkers. I work at the computer access center in Nakusp. We provide high speed for people who can't afford computers or high speed. I tell people on dial up to buy a flash drive and come to the access center to get downloads and updates and take them home instead of trying on dial up.

That's pretty well what CB and I have to do, Cliffy. Any big updates for Windows or AVG etc., we go to the Net Shop and have them put it on a disc for us to download at home. Otherwise we would be tied up for ages and even at that dial-up, as you probably remember, tends to time-out so you have to start all over again.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC

Cliff, yeah it's not so much a sleeping problem as one of timing - my better half is over in Japan with sick father and I was waiting for a call from her...a 17 hr. time difference makes it interesting!

I don't have access to anything but dial-up yet, but I do have access to the ISP's facilities in the closest town...it's an hour away but I use it for "big stuff."

Makes for frustration though when I want to see some of the clips here on the forum...oh well, we're hoping for hi-speed towers here by early summer...maybe.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Cliff, yeah it's not so much a sleeping problem as one of timing - my better half is over in Japan with sick father and I was waiting for a call from her...a 17 hr. time difference makes it interesting!

I don't have access to anything but dial-up yet, but I do have access to the ISP's facilities in the closest town...it's an hour away but I use it for "big stuff."

Makes for frustration though when I want to see some of the clips here on the forum...oh well, we're hoping for hi-speed towers here by early summer...maybe.

You may be hoping, CB. Me, I am praying every day! :smile:

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
I feel sorry for you guys stuck on dial-up. Telus hasn't rolled out 3G data your way I assume?

No, and they have no plans to do so. Not enough customers to warrant the investment...their switching equipment is not up to speed. We do have regular telephone service though...it hasn't been that many years since we were able to get call waiting, caller ID, etc. Prior to that, it was 'talk and listen' only.

Mind you, the phone service is better than the hydro service...it's sunk to a level we like to call "intermittent" out here. We have this problem with trees growing up near power lines and then falling over and taking them out. You'd think it would be cheaper to log the 'offending' trees but no, BC Hydro prefers to keep the crews working to fix the lines as the trees fall...regularly. If hydro stays out long enough, the battery chargers in the Telus 'shacks' can't recharge the phone batteries and then we have no hydro or phone service. We're right up to speed out here in the boonies...NOT!

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Thanks, lone wolf. I was really impressed with these kids. In spite of all they had to go through and the long wait for aid, they kept filming and reporting just like the professionals they are training to be.
Me, too.
I'd say, from what I've read, that they are doing a much better job of reporting than the major networks.
That's not saying much, though. Mainstream news is pretty much on par with the supermarket tabloids.