What should we do when kids not intersted in study

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
Thease days Kids have very casual behavior towards study and more on fun if you scold or talk too much on study then they threat to kill them self. Recently watched 3 Idots movie of bollywood and found it has same story but shown totally fun side of solution

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I have been thinking about that lately, as my 17 yr old
grandson is 'brilliant', but very bored and disinterested
in school.

His mom talks with him in length about this issue, but he
just doesn't 'get' it right now. He will be in grade 12
next year, and needs to get it together, so we'll keep
talking to him, hoping he will grow up a little more, very
soon and realize what is ahead of him.

One way of getting the studies done, is to withold any other
priviledges until studies are done, (homework), then they
are free to do other things.

Parents have to take charge, and not let the inmates run
the assylum.

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
I have been thinking about that lately, as my 17 yr old
grandson is 'brilliant', but very bored and disinterested
in school.

His mom talks with him in length about this issue, but he
just doesn't 'get' it right now. He will be in grade 12
next year, and needs to get it together, so we'll keep
talking to him, hoping he will grow up a little more, very
soon and realize what is ahead of him.

One way of getting the studies done, is to withold any other
priviledges until studies are done, (homework), then they
are free to do other things.

Parents have to take charge, and not let the inmates run
the assylum.

One thing more to solve the big picture is that we need to understand what they want to be not what we want them to be

A born footballer can not be good singer or engineer thats for sure

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
One thing more to solve the big picture is that we need to understand what they want to be not what we want them to be

A born footballer can not be good singer or engineer thats for sure

it can take them years before they know what they want to be, but they have to decide, and we can share ideas.

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
it can take them years before they know what they want to be, but they have to decide, and we can share ideas.

We have something "Hon Har Virwaan Ke Hot Chikne Paat" meaning if you see and observe very closely and spend some time with kids you can actually make out their interest and if you pamper them for same you can be very sure and starts working on same , honestly its all bookish language even I am also trying to work on same

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Thease days Kids have very casual behavior towards study and more on fun if you scold or talk too much on study then they threat to kill them self. Recently watched 3 Idots movie of bollywood and found it has same story but shown totally fun side of solution

From a very young age some strict parenting is required. There are three things in kid's lives that have to curtailed drastically, computers, T.V. and video games, they can be used as a carrot AFTER other responsibilities are met. Introduce them to the public library early and get them interested in reading. While computers skills are deirable in this day and age, limit it to two or three hours a week adn stick to the limit. As for T.V. as little as possble. Also physical exercise is very necessary for studying. Their brain functions a lot better when their body is well tuned. These habits should start by age 4. J.M.H.O.

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
From a very young age some strict parenting is required. There are three things in kid's lives that have to curtailed drastically, computers, T.V. and video games, they can be used as a carrot AFTER other responsibilities are met. Introduce them to the public library early and get them interested in reading. While computers skills are deirable in this day and age, limit it to two or three hours a week adn stick to the limit. As for T.V. as little as possble. Also physical exercise is very necessary for studying. Their brain functions a lot better when their body is well tuned. These habits should start by age 4. J.M.H.O.

True but if they don't turn to be good reader but a good footballer then

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Sharing idea at early age would not help may be
Talking to kids like kids is demeaning. People should talk to kids like they are adults, explain stuff, teach them stuff like they were adults. If we want responsible kids we have to give them responsibilities. Guide them, don't dictate to them.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
hard to say, inspire your kids..... Bring them out on adventures show them interesting stuff, and be a tough parent when you have to be. Get them involved in community activities, but not too much...

I remember when my parents brought me to manatoulin for the first time, i became interested in rocks, interested enough to graduate from college involving it and working a whole wack out west and russia. Unfortunately i got laid off but i stayed focused enough to go to university and continue my education

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Take time to teach them, if it takes sitting with them when they study, do it. Spend atleast 2 hours each day after school with them before they can go out and play. Talking to them does almost no good, after all what does a adult know. It may be the old fashion way, but it does work, my parents did that with me.

What ever you do, do not tell them to go do their room to do homework without making sure they actually do it. If they say they have no homework, give them some.

It up to the parents to make sure the work is accomplished.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
For the kid that can't stand sitting at a desk and doesn't want to pay attention in school, get them a part time job,
a) pumping gas
b) working at your local bottle depot
c) cleaning houses
d) you catch my drift

Drive home the real world importance of an education, the real world reward of all that 'boredom'.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
School destroys children with debt. They shouldn't start untill they are 13 and then only half a day and two subject only. Science and reading. Nothing screws up kids more and faster than industrial schools.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
For the kid that can't stand sitting at a desk and doesn't want to pay attention in school, get them a part time job,
a) pumping gas
b) working at your local bottle depot
c) cleaning houses
d) you catch my drift

Drive home the real world importance of an education, the real world reward of all that 'boredom'.

Good response- addresses two issues, either inspiring them to greater things or at least gets them channelled to where they fit in.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
School destroys children with debt. They shouldn't start untill they are 13 and then only half a day and two subject only. Science and reading. Nothing screws up kids more and faster than industrial schools.

Unschooling is another real option, but, it takes *gasp* parental interaction and planning.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Unschooling is another real option, but, it takes *gasp* parental interaction and planning.

ROFLMFAO....ya right...... "Adults" are too damn lazy and selfish these days.... that is those that aren't extremely selfish, self centered and lazy to have kids in the first place. Those that do have one or two, stick them in daycare and pre-school as soon as possible. Can't have the little buggers interfering with their real life.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
ROFLMFAO....ya right...... "Adults" are too damn lazy and selfish these days.... that is those that aren't extremely selfish, self centered and lazy to have kids in the first place. Those that do have one or two, stick them in daycare and pre-school as soon as possible. Can't have the little buggers interfering with their real life.

Hey, I resemble that comment!!

:lol:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
roflmfao....ya right...... "adults" are too damn lazy and selfish these days.... That is those that aren't extremely selfish, self centered and lazy to have kids in the first place. Those that do have one or two, stick them in daycare and pre-school as soon as possible. Can't have the little buggers interfering with their real life.

bingo

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Met you, met your kids, seen you with your kids......just one word in response to your response..... bullsh*t.

Well... I don't know that I'd call it pure bull gerry. Truth is, I wouldn't voluntarily home school my kids. I'd go insane. For purely selfish reasons I love when they leave the house in the morning for school. :lol: If they really really needed me to I suppose I'd home school or even unschool (I think a combo would be wisest personally), but, I wouldn't be happy about it.