Bad teeth,the new British disease

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Keeping with the latest British theme I was wondering if this is just a sterotype or do they really have bad teeth?
Bad teeth - the new British disease - Telegraph

In Britain today, you can stuff yourself on deep-fried Mars Bars, drink 20 pints a night, inject yourself with heroin, smoke 60 cigarettes a day or decide to change your sex - and the NHS has an obligation to treat you. You might go on a waiting list, but it will do its best to cure your lung cancer, patch up your nose after a drunken brawl or give you a hip replacement. It doesn't charge for operations or beds; it may even throw in some half-edible food.
But if you have bad teeth, forget it. You may be rolling on the bathroom floor in agony with an abscess, your gums may be riddled with disease, or people may recoil at the sight of your fangs as you walk down the street, but the NHS doesn't have to help you.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Scary:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Hmmm some racists here. Why don't you look at the yaps of the hillbillies in the southern states???

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Hmmm some racists here. Why don't you look at the yaps of the hillbillies in the southern states???

We have made plenty of fun of the hillbillies in this forum, Risus (at least I have).

And bad teeth among British is nothing new, that is a traditional stereotype of the British, it has been around for a long time, I don’t know if there is any truth to it (if British indeed have worse teeth than anybody else).

I remember in one of the Sabrina movies (Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, at least 10 years ago), there is a character of a British girl. The British girl is eating a candy bar and Sabrina says to her “at this rate, you will rot your teeth in your mouth.”

“That is OK”, replied the girl “I am British.”

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Well, the British are the biggest candy eaters in the world.

"They chew through plays and they chew through films and they chew in trains," complained the London Daily Mail. "They suck lollies through Macbeth and Hamlet, and they while away Tennessee Williams with the chocolates with the scrumptious centers." The Mail's complaint was not another anti-American outburst, but a cultural critique of the world's most ravenous candy eaters: the British. Unfazed by calorie counts, the English last year ate an average 8 oz. of candy weekly, nearly double the sweet tooth of any other European country and well above the 5.6 oz. a week the U.S. puts away. All this amounts to a big rock candy mountain of 1.4 billion Ibs. of sweets annually. For Britain's 800 candy companies and 250,000 candy-peddling retailers, the sweet smell of success adds up to $800 million a year.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
lol Since when is making fun of British people's teeth racist? Britain is a country not a racial group. lmao

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
The British are a quaint admixture of Celts, Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Scandinavians, East Indians, French, West Indians, Africans, Italians (Romans) and their foreign legions.

bizzymum

Dec 20, 2009
Pictou county, NS
Dental care is available, but it benefits those who use it. I had regular dental visits and my mum is 76 and still has all her teeth and they are straight and not discoloured. The rest of us also have great teeth. However, I have met many Brits who have teeth that would make my dog cringe, but also I have seen a few Canadians and Americans who have teeth that are quite frightening.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Check out rural Canadians with the same expediency a s you have ridiculed British citizens.

Last edited by a moderator:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
lol Since when is making fun of British people's teeth racist? Britain is a country not a racial group. lmao

Whenever people poke fun at some group, country, etc. other than American you are sure to find Risus vainly trying to deflect to the object of his jealousy.