Food Banks

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
If you don't give to a food bank I hope you will really consider it this year if you can. I realize that not everyone can and that's okay. I hope that people will give some of the extra little things that are not thought of often. This has come up in another thread but I thought a thread regarding the "needy" might be in keeping at this time. Food is very important and the kind of food is also important. I think many have the tendency to empty out their cupboards of all the stuff that has been sitting there unused. If you don't need it - they probaby don't either. Think of nourishing things that come pre-packaged because food banks don't take it if is not pre-packaged. As well as food people need things like bar soap, dish soap, laundry soap, shampoo, toothpaste and anything else you can add to that list. I'm sure they get bombarded with things like boxed macaroni and cheese. Only so much of that stuff you can eat. How about some jars/tins of pasta sauce and some plain pasta for example. Goes further and some tinned sauces have meat in them.
I hope this doesn't turn into a war of how many people use the food banks when they don't need them. We all know there are the cheap and the lousy out there but lets keep this about those who truly need it.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Creamed corn was on sale the other day. 4 cans went into my bag and 4 went into the food bin. Save-on has those little $2 coupons for feeding the needy. I take 2 or 3 everytime I go through. I don't add more around Christmas, though. But I do chip in change at SallyAnn buckets. I also donate the deposits I get back from juice bottles and other stuff.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
VI - I agree - this is always a tough time for food banks... I have to wonder though why you said you throw away gift baskets that you get containing body/hygiene products in another thread? Why not donate them?

btw - please remember that there's a host of other agencies out there that collect donations for group homes, womens' shelters etc - if you're donating products of any sort, they should be unopened, in the original packaging. Toys that you may have in your basement waiting for a garage sale can be cleaned and donated as well. Gently used winter clothing is also always in dire need - particularly for the homeless. Give what you can, where you can.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
I know with my little guy having peanut / nuts allergies I have always been careful to give nuts free items in the past to food bank boxes.. I guess I just think of those things more then others as it affects my life daily.. I often see "Honey and Nuts Cheerios" in the boxes and know it was in good heart thinking.. But with a child that has a 20 second window of life to those things I wonder how many families deal with those issues at Christmas time in need..

Just thinking..

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It's a balancing act Francis... Peanut butter can be one of the best things for poor families, assuming there are no allergy, so tailoring your giving to the assumption that all kids have allergies doesn't really make sense. The foodbank won't get that much food with nuts in it that they can't supply an allergic household with nut free food.

Anyway... so often we take the tact of... "I don't like it, can't use it, so it's garbage... don't give it." Earlier in the thread VI even implied that if you don't use something, don't donate it. Personally, I take the route of giving away the things we can't use, no longer like, don't work for us etc., and let the charities decide for themselves if they can or can't use them. And, a little extra money at the holidays for more tailored needs is always a great icing on the cake.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
VI - I agree - this is always a tough time for food banks... I have to wonder though why you said you throw away gift baskets that you get containing body/hygiene products in another thread? Why not donate them?

btw - please remember that there's a host of other agencies out there that collect donations for group homes, womens' shelters etc - if you're donating products of any sort, they should be unopened, in the original packaging. Toys that you may have in your basement waiting for a garage sale can be cleaned and donated as well. Gently used winter clothing is also always in dire need - particularly for the homeless. Give what you can, where you can.
There are lots of places collecting. Here we have "Loaves and Fishes". In our last neighbourhood, people got together and a note was left saying they would be around collecting food for the homeless at a specific time on a specific date. We knew it was coming and I used to prepare for it. I gather that it doesn't happen in the neighbourhood I now live in but by next year, I hope to change that. The store I work in has a large tub for items to be donated to the food bank and I will shop after work this week and put the food in the tub.
Peanut Butter has protein Francis so many families actually appreciate getting it as long as they don't have to worry about allergies. Schools here make it difficult on families that need peanut butter. The children are not allowed to take anything at all to school that may have a trace of nuts or peanuts in it. I think the better thing to do would be to have all students with allergies eat in one room away from the others. I think the room would only have a few people in it rather than the whole school being nut free. The students eat in their classroom anyway.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Peanut Butter has protein Francis so many families actually appreciate getting it as long as they don't have to worry about allergies. Schools here make it difficult on families that need peanut butter. The children are not allowed to take anything at all to school that may have a trace of nuts or peanuts in it. I think the better thing to do would be to have all students with allergies eat in one room away from the others. I think the room would only have a few people in it rather than the whole school being nut free. The students eat in their classroom anyway.

Hi VI, I wish it were that simple.. My little guy must have his Epi kit on him 24/7 at school even if the school is "Nut Free" due to the fact bigger kids could always have chocolate bars in the pockets. This is why nut products cannot be brought to the school as it could easily be put in a kids pocket and then brought out in the mandatory school yard play..

The worse part is that it makes our child a bigger target for bullying.. So truthfully I would prefer he not have this allergy that not only makes him a visible target, but endangers his life 24/7... :-(

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
My daughter carries an epi pen all summer due to an allergy to wasps. I tried to have wasps banned from the school, but it didn't work. I asked them to remove all garbage cans from the playground and the soccer fields, and thought about insisting that none of the soccer players be allowed to eat or drink anything while on the field, but that didn't seem practical.

In the end, I had to resort to teaching her to avoid wasps. I know, it's a poor alternative to having them banned, but it's the best I can do for now.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It should be up to the client whether to accept items or not. As gross as it sounds, peanut butter can be a great donation. It often gets used as bait to catch pigeons and squirrels for some fresh meat. Gross ... but reality to they who are really down on their luck and eager to survive.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Make fun of peanut butter if you will. I am in possession of two different brands of peanut butter. We happen to like it in our house. Kraft has 3 grams of protein in every tablespoon (and 6 grams of carbs) while the Western Family brand has 4 grams protein for every tbsp and 3 g. of carbs. People from anywhere east of Alberta do not get the western family brand. For families that cannot afford to buy meat their kids are getting some protein in a sandwich. Hard to make a PB sandwich without about a tbsp of peanut butter. Sounds like lots but measure it out and spread it on the bread. The ability to purchase bread is bad enough. Bread is terribly expensive.
Years ago I looked after two of my neighbours kids while her and her hubby had to go away. She sent along several days worth of frozen peanut butter and jam sandwiches. I thought - gross! These kids have to eat this everyday!!! I made them a nice ham and cheese sandwich. When they got home the sandwich was still in the bag. They wouldn't eat it because they wanted the PB and jam. They needed to eat. I sent the lunch she made after that.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
It should be up to the client whether to accept items or not. As gross as it sounds, peanut butter can be a great donation. It often gets used as bait to catch pigeons and squirrels for some fresh meat. Gross ... but reality to they who are really down on their luck and eager to survive.
To add to your list - peanut butter is also the best "bait" in a mouse trap. They love it.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Hi VI, I wish it were that simple.. My little guy must have his Epi kit on him 24/7 at school even if the school is "Nut Free" due to the fact bigger kids could always have chocolate bars in the pockets. This is why nut products cannot be brought to the school as it could easily be put in a kids pocket and then brought out in the mandatory school yard play..

The worse part is that it makes our child a bigger target for bullying.. So truthfully I would prefer he not have this allergy that not only makes him a visible target, but endangers his life 24/7... :-(
Francis I know you worry and I respect that. I still believe that it is in his best interests to learn to move away from the source. He cannot live in a bubble and you cannot be there 24/7/365. He is young but not too young to learn what to stay away from. It's vastly important that he learns right now.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Creamed corn was on sale the other day. 4 cans went into my bag and 4 went into the food bin. Save-on has those little $2 coupons for feeding the needy. I take 2 or 3 everytime I go through. I don't add more around Christmas, though. But I do chip in change at SallyAnn buckets. I also donate the deposits I get back from juice bottles and other stuff.
That is very good of you. All you have to do is ask the cashier to scan that one piece of paper the number of times you want to donate the $2.00. If you want to donate $6.00 ask her to scan it 3 times. Saves them printing more than necessary.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Francis I know you worry and I respect that. I still believe that it is in his best interests to learn to move away from the source. He cannot live in a bubble and you cannot be there 24/7/365. He is young but not too young to learn what to stay away from. It's vastly important that he learns right now.

My 5 year old is very food savvy.. For him I am not too worried but his classmate who has the same issue I would not feel as comfortable..

My son knows how to read, yes read, ingredients since he was 4 year old.. He has been careful and does not accept food from strangers for any reason.. Of course there are many reasons w child should never accept food from a stranger but for him is is even more important as you can imagine..

I do not worry as much as you think, but as a concerned parent it is in the back of my mind "sub-conscientiously" at all times.. It's called human nature that I cannot control.. I recognize that.. :smile:

And the reason I mentioned it is because I realize nuts and trail mix is such a healthy food supplement. We used to eat it by the tons full camping when I was single..

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
My 5 year old is very food savvy.. For him I am not too worried but his classmate who has the same issue I would not feel as comfortable..

My son knows how to read, yes read, ingredients since he was 4 year old.. He has been careful and does not accept food from strangers for any reason.. Of course there are many reasons w child should never accept food from a stranger but for him is is even more important as you can imagine..

I do not worry as much as you think, but as a concerned parent it is in the back of my mind "sub-conscientiously" at all times.. It's called human nature that I cannot control.. I recognize that.. :smile:

And the reason I mentioned it is because I realize nuts and trail mix is such a healthy food supplement. We used to eat it by the tons full camping when I was single..
Yeah, trail mix (of any mix) is great stuff. We also take moose, elk, or salmon jerky.
Mostly what we give in food bins is canned goods, Itchiban soups, Lipton soups, noodles, etc.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Hunger, poverty at a 'crisis point' - thestar.com -

Top 10 recommendations of the Recession Relief Coalition Hunger Inquiry

1.Employers pay a living wage so people working full-time can afford nutritious food, access to adequate housing and other life essentials.

2.The Ontario government immediately implement a substantial increase to social assistance rates.

5.Members of Parliament vote for Bill C-304, a bill for a National Housing Strategy, to enact a plan to increase safe, affordable housing.

6.Food banks remove restrictions to access based on postal code, number of previous visits and identification.

10.Governments and community-based organizations reject charity as a means of fighting hunger and consider access to food a basic human right.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
In our region, the local CBC morning show does a campaign to raise money for the area food banks. For $2, you get to light up one bulb on a tree-shaped decoration on the harbourfront. When they reach $40,000, the star on top gets lit up. The last 3 years, they've raised well over $100,000.

I've always contributed to this effort, and before that, to the local food bank where I lived. There's no reason to live in a great country and not share the wealth.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
At our annual Christmas brunch, we asked everyone to arrive with a Food Bank donation. One of our faculty said she makes every single dinner party or casual get together at her home a standing request to arrive with a donation for the Food Bank and about once a month or so they drop it all off. I thought that was a pretty great idea! If I entertained more, I'd consider doing it too.