Winter officially begins in our neck of the woods.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It started snowing last night and right now we have about six inches on our driveway. The good news is that it is raining now and it will be thawing and raining for the next three or four days. With any luck I can put off shoveling the driveway until the next snow fall.....;-):smile:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Just came in from shoveling my place out. Only took about half an hour, nothing compared to last year when I would be doing it at least twice a day. :smile:

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Just came in from shoveling my place out. Only took about half an hour, nothing compared to last year when I would be doing it at least twice a day. :smile:

...and the steel bridges in our area appear to be a bit more relaxed this morning! :lol:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
tee-hee.... I love hearing wet-coasters and their adventures in snow....

Just take light scoops and don't over-do it

But that's why we live on the wet-coast........So we don't have to shovel snow. Hell, I was born in Saskatchewan. ;-) It doesn't always work out that way but we appreciate it when it does...:lol:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
But that's why we live on the wet-coast........So we don't have to shovel snow. Hell, I was born in Saskatchewan. ;-) It doesn't always work out that way but we appreciate it when it does...:lol:

I was born there too, Juan, still have family back there. I have photos from my childhood of us kids tobogganing off our second story roof. Those days are long gone now. My sister tells me that they don't have much on the ground back there right now.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I was born there too, Juan, still have family back there. I have photos from my childhood of us kids tobogganing off our second story roof. Those days are long gone now. My sister tells me that they don't have much on the ground back there right now.

I was looking at temperatures around the country this morning and while some areas were cold, they were not as cold as I remember it. (in the good old days) I remember forty and fifty below but though it still happens, it doesn't happen nearly as often......Like the snow drifting up to the 2nd story eavestrough.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
From the looks of the weather forecast we should be out of this snow in a few days. There are many things I would rather do than shovel snow.

Nanaimo, British Columbia - 7 Day Weather Forecast - Environment Canada

There isn't even that much snow left and what bothers me most is that the Nanaimo school board chose to close the schools today for a snow day. Over 17,000 students are not in school with less than 2 inches of snow left on the ground. I was up about 4:00 A.M. and the brightness from the snow made it appear there was a light on outside my bedroom. By 7:30 A.M. the room was dark but I heard the announcement on the radio that the schools were closed! What a farce. So I have 5 bored kids here all day. They cannot go out and play in the snow because it's raining and too wet! One of them is already coughing too much to be playing outside anyway. Complete silence in the room as they play on their DS's. Most kids could have walked to school. Just another day the teachers can head for Mt. Washington. It's 1 degree here right now and supposed to warm up to about 3 but close those schools even if there is rain forecast for the rest of the week.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
4 hours ago it was -32 celsius,right now it's -18O

That sounds like when I lived in Calgary for a couple years. Used to go to work in the morning with long johns, a sweater, a windbreaker, an overcoat, and a toque......An come home in the afternoon carrying most of it.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I was looking at temperatures around the country this morning and while some areas were cold, they were not as cold as I remember it. (in the good old days) I remember forty and fifty below but though it still happens, it doesn't happen nearly as often......Like the snow drifting up to the 2nd story eavestrough.

By the time I was in my teens, snow to the second story was already history. I remember my Dad downsizing from the Cat to a large lawn tractor with a snow-blower. I went back for Christmas about five years ago and in places the fields were almost bare. So in about a 50 year span Sask went from hills of snow to spindly little drifts in the ditches.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
4 hours ago it was -32 celsius,right now it's -18O

On the prairies we called those extreme temp swings, 'Chinooks'. We had one come through here in November. We had days so warm I was in my t-shirt. The upswing in temp usually comes in on the tail side of very strong southerly winds. If you are outside when they begin you can actually smell and feel the difference in the wind - it is softer and smells sweeter.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
That sounds like when I lived in Calgary for a couple years. Used to go to work in the morning with long johns, a sweater, a windbreaker, an overcoat, and a toque......An come home in the afternoon carrying most of it.

Chinook weather. I watched a Doc on Alta's Chinooks called "The Snow-Eater", a name given to the phenomena by natives. Chinook winds carry such power that wind turbines have to be shut down and dust storms can close down highways for a time. Time-lapse photography was used, which graphically illustrated why 'snow-eater' is such an apt name. In less than a two hour period all the snow in a meadow, which looked to be about two feet deep, simply melted away. Chinooks even have their own particular cloud formation too, though I cannot remember the name given to it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'd take the snowy weather over the apparent thaw we have coming.

I'm not looking forward to it one bit.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Snowed for the second day here in Kelowna just enough to put snow down on the
driveway, trouble is the driveway is more than a quarter mile long. If more comes
before the expected rain I will have to get the tractor out. Its why pickup trucks
have four wheel drive right, god I hate winter.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Snowed for the second day here in Kelowna just enough to put snow down on the
driveway, trouble is the driveway is more than a quarter mile long. If more comes
before the expected rain I will have to get the tractor out. Its why pickup trucks
have four wheel drive right, god I hate winter.
I'm with you DG. The rain is here which may mean it's on it's way to you. Very warm tonight. I turned the heat waaay down about 4 hours ago and the house is still too warm. I hate winter with a passion.