10 Stupidest Things I've Done

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Quoting countryboy
Orrr........Challenge ourselves to name the 10 stupidest things we've ever said or done to other people? (Some of course, wouldn't be able to come up with 10...or even one!)
I'll make it things you did or didn't do, so that I cover myself:

Great idea; I'll jump in with the bravado aquired from a bottle of Bordeaux:

1 Drove while over the limit (didn't get caught, but it was stupid)
2 Got a girlfriend pregnant
3 Didn't stand up for my wife when I should have
4 Didn't jump at a particular job opportunity
5 Slacked off in school
6 Loaned my brother a car (turned out to be a gift, apparently, in his view)
7 Shot my mouth off at work when I thought the boss was out
8 Broke two fingers by being in a hurry when I dropped something on my hand
9 Didn't back up a hard drive and lost some pics and emails
10 Buried the car in a snowbank with the family as passengers

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I will start with only one as being stupid deserves considerable thought to nail down my top 10

Back from Bosnia i was at the base to write an exam

Met a friend i had not seen for quite some time - she stated she was on pregnancy leave.

I asked - when are you due -
She told me she had the baby 6 weeks ago

I slunk away quietly

Funny thing is - same thing happened to a friend of mine - I told him I would never be that stupid

Well I was .

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
1 worked alone
2 trusted in the integrity of Ontario's Workers Compensation laws
3 didn't call an ambulance to take me to the hospital immediately
4 didn't turn down the lighter-duty job pending follow-up medical
5 didn't waive the Act and sue the employer following the accident
6 didn't waive the Act and sue the land-owner following the accident
7 didn't waive the Act and sue the owner of the firehose following the accident
8 pressed the doctor for Vocational Rehabilitation instead of the Disability he offered
9 believed in the integrity of a con artist and his Common Sense Revolution
10 didn't punch out our illustrious Premier when the opportunity presented itself

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Latest ........ clicking on this thread.

The things listed in post #1 do not seem to go from 1st to latest, rather from latest to earliest and then it is just scattered random thoughts. I don't usually stalk people but if you are like this in early December you ought to be real funny come the end of Feburary and 'cabin fever' is in full swing. Was events 2&3 with the same woman or is there an 11th misdeed?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Latest ........ clicking on this thread.

The things listed in post #1 do not seem to go from 1st to latest, rather from latest to earliest. Was events 2&3 with the same woman or is there an 11th misdeed?
get your **** together - add or stay away.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Don't know if I can come up with ten right now but...
- leaned into a punch
- tried playing the White Knight and rescue my first wife from an abusive mother
- let a woman talk me into knocking her up
- checking to see if there was any gas fumes left in a 45 gallon drum using a Bic
- getting married because '69 came around only once every 100 years
- trying to outrun a logging truck on a snowmobile
...that's it for now.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
- leaned into a punch
- tried playing the White Knight and rescue my first wife from an abusive mother
- checking to see if there was any gas fumes left in a 45 gallon drum using a Bic
...that's it for now.
That logging truck must have been fun - Nothing like tempting death to vitalize a person. Yes I have - long story that may make it to my top 10

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
1 worked alone
2 trusted in the integrity of Ontario's Workers Compensation laws
3 didn't call an ambulance to take me to the hospital immediately
4 didn't turn down the lighter-duty job pending follow-up medical
5 didn't waive the Act and sue the employer following the accident
6 didn't waive the Act and sue the land-owner following the accident
7 didn't waive the Act and sue the owner of the firehose following the accident
8 pressed the doctor for Vocational Rehabilitation instead of the Disability he offered
9 believed in the integrity of a con artist and his Common Sense Revolution
10 didn't punch out our illustrious Premier when the opportunity presented itself

Hopefully you got in a few parting words for # 10.
My x employer settled a claim by a fellow worker (who barely escaped death via an exploding fireball made from hot, misty hydraulic oil). Rather than take their offer (drafted by their lawyer and I am sure they fully supported the enclosed 'fine print') to his own lawyer for examination he 'trusted the paving company' to be above-board. In the fine print was the clause that made all medical expenses his responsibility (3+ years of skin graphs is not chump change).

So what can you do now. I used to be able to do hard physical labor all day long, now at 55+ I like to sit on my ass all day long, alas it costs rather than pays.

As to the top 10 mistrakes, there isn't a top 10, if I try real hard I might get it down to the top 100.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
- leaned into a punch
...that's it for now.

After reading #4, I am surprised you had any cojones left, Cliffy. Guffffawww...:lol::lol::lol:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I did add, it was clicking on this thread. Which are you going to tackle first comprehension or just plain reading. You are awfully excited for a going-nowhere type of thread.
You call that adding - really - BS - If that was your contribuition it was useless - Now you have stated clearly the thread is going nowhere - so why don't you go somewhere.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
In no real order at all - just as they come to mind;

• Quitting a job because I was fighting with my ex-spouse and partner.
  • Driving our truck into the ditch while coming home from an all nighter.
  • Moving to Hawaii.
  • Leaving Hawaii.
  • Turning down a good job offer.
  • Not finishing my degree.
  • Moving down to Surrey.
  • Not moving back to Saskatchewan when I had the chance.
  • Not going to the hospital after I crashed my Bultaco.
Well that's all I can think of for now. :smile:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
What a lucky girl is that you slunk away from is. Lets see how sheltered my life is compared to the OP's.
1 Drove while over the limit (didn't get caught, but it was stupid)
Pretty much covers the years from 18-28.

2 Got a girlfriend pregnant
Just ditched them every 6 weeks or so, work required exyensive travel for extended periods. The theme was the best view of anyplace was in the rear-view mirror.

3 Didn't stand up for my wife when I should have
Had I not ended up with my grandson living with me the whole marriage thing was way over-rated. Not every hooker can quit the life as easily as they think,

4 Didn't jump at a particular job opportunity
Dito, traded a real trade when I was just 16 (auto as I was already building race engines) for the other path I took. I was probably stupid before that but that was a whole new level, good thing the alternative has it's moments. 90k/yr and 4 months holidays.

5 Slacked off in school
The only thing I actually held the record for.

6 Loaned my brother a car (turned out to be a gift, apparently, in his view)
I have one brother who will never ever phone me, which is quite okay cause he has been a prick ever since I can remember.

7 Shot my mouth off at work when I thought the boss was out
Never a good move when looking at keeping your current position. I just quit a company cause my foreman didn't know **** about what we were doing (his 1st year doing the same thing that I had done for at least 10 years. Wasn't a bit comical, he was stupid and dangerous. If OHS had shown up a few nights the company would still be filling out forms.

8 Broke two fingers by being in a hurry when I dropped something on my hand
Only broken bone was when a truck landed on me, even then it was a minor blow-out. I saved my skin in the past by having fast reflexes, today I just operate in a safer manor, slow and boring but no chance of injuries.

9 Didn't back up a hard drive and lost some pics and emails
Let me guess .... windows op

10 Buried the car in a snowbank with the family as passengers
LOL, no comment as they might be able to find the car with the in-laws still alive.

Happy now, no need for you to do the whole 10, that was probably your best one.

11 be happy I stopped at 10

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

• Moving to Hawaii.
  • Leaving Hawaii.
  • Moving down to Surrey.

I'm not sure if it's the stupidest thing I did but during my working career I was taking a two day defensive driving course in Campbell River about 28 miles from where I worked in Courtenay. On the second day of the course I was a little late in getting away so threw all this defensive driving material on the front seat of the truck and headed out for Campbell River a little above the speed limit. About midway there's a long straight stretch so I wound her out a bit and within seconds hears the siren and sees the flashing llights. Anyway I pulled over and of course when the cops peers in the window he asks "where are you going in such a hurry???????????...................looking at the material on the seat adds, "to your defensive driving course I see". I felt like crawling under the seat of course. To make things worse I was driving the company vehicle complete with logo.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

• Moving to Hawaii.
  • Leaving Hawaii.
  • Moving down to Surrey.
It was only 9 and the two about Hawaii cancel each other out so keep thinking. Where do you get your amnesia pills from, fuk I can remembers events quite clearly as far back as 3. Here's an example. We had this huge border collie and at 3 his color came out as black and dite. Even then after repeating it a few time and hearing the laughter that followed it only took a few times to know I was being laughed at rather than laughed with. I stopped laughing and grabbed some hair on the dog's back and we slinked away, I can remember quite pissed at everybody except the dog.. I could even tell you what each person there was wearing. 9 is all you can come up with, I'm not sure if I should feel happy or sad for you.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It was only 9 and the two about Hawaii cancel each other out so keep thinking. Where do you get your amnesia pills from, fuk I can remembers events quite clearly as far back as 3. Here's an example. We had this huge border collie and at 3 his color came out as black and dite. Even then after repeating it a few time and hearing the laughter that followed it only took a few times to know I was being laughed at rather than laughed with. I stopped laughing and grabbed some hair on the dog's back and we slinked away, I can remember quite pissed at everybody except the dog.. I could even tell you what each person there was wearing. 9 is all you can come up with, I'm not sure if I should feel happy or sad for you.

Well aren't you just the smartest little fellar. I am so darn glad you have such total recall.

It doesn't really matter what you feel about me, MHz, as you so nicely pointed out, I am an amnesiac.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I'm not sure if it's the stupidest thing I did but during my working career I was taking a two day defensive driving course in Campbell River about 28 miles from where I worked in Courtenay. On the second day of the course I was a little late in getting away so threw all this defensive driving material on the front seat of the truck and headed out for Campbell River a little above the speed limit. About midway there's a long straight stretch so I wound her out a bit and within seconds hears the siren and sees the flashing llights. Anyway I pulled over and of course when the cops peers in the window he asks "where are you going in such a hurry???????????...................looking at the material on the seat adds, "to your defensive driving course I see". I felt like crawling under the seat of course. To make things worse I was driving the company vehicle complete with logo.

Hey there's an idea, JLM! My Most Embarrassing Moment. :lol:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Well aren't you just the smartest little fellar. I am so darn glad you have such total recall.

It doesn't really matter what you feel about me, MHz, as you so nicely pointed out, I am an amnesiac.
Sorry, I wasn't paying attention , what was that???
Oh, did you find my example humerus?? I assure you I didn't, then or now. It still serves me well in day-to-day conversations quite well, although an actual recording by 10 different machines in 10 different locations might be considered proof today. My method of bringing about recall of past conversations includes broken things, like faces and knuckles. Knuckles being the last to crumble.
A true amnesiac would not be able to recall I even had an opinion, or is that just the old-timers disease.
In a true situation of vivid recall from days gone past or an instance in almost no recall of any (bad) events which is better ..... really. It isn't like the thing about the word dite can be undone, the recall just means I can remember as far back as that flash of heat across the cheeks tat came with the realization I was an object to be laughed at. If I had know what the finger was it would have been shown. With no recall that doesn't mean today you will not encounter some event that causes that same flash of heat across your cheeks. Back then I left, today I might handle it somewhat different before I leave. Mistakes are how we lean, unfortunately. Which is the better teacher about drinking and driving, a movie you watch or being behind the wheel. (today it would be a virtual program). Get picked up @.22 and that is what level you get to be (bring your own booze) in the virtual drive. You get a copy of just how bad you would do under certain circumstances, think that would help you to not drink and drive??