British schoolboy, aged 13, becomes one of world's youngest fathers

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A British schoolboy has become one of the world's youngest fathers - aged just 13.

The unnamed boy from Manchester was said to have been "chuffed to bits" when his 16-year-old girlfriend gave birth to a girl.

The identities of both kids cannot be revealed for legal reasons.

Earlier this year, another 13-year-old boy, Alfie Patten, from Eastbourne, East Sussex, was believed to have become a father when his 15-year-old girlfriend gave birth.

But DNA tests proved that ANOTHER 15-year-old was the real father.

Britain has the highest teenage pregnancy rate in Western Europe, and the fourth highest in the world, after the United States, Hungary and New Zealand. Canada is just behind Britain, in fifth place.

British schoolboy, aged 13, becomes one of world's youngest fathers

By Daily Mail Reporter
04th October 2009
Daily Mail

A 13-year-old British schoolboy has become one of the world's youngest fathers (picture posed by model)

A schoolboy aged 13 has become one of Britain's youngest fathers, it was revealed today.

The boy, from Manchester, was 'chuffed to bits' after his 16-year-old girlfriend gave birth to a baby girl this week, according to his family.

'My son is mature for his age and will make a good father. He will make a better dad than most 25-year-old men would,' his father told the Daily Mirror.

The young couple's identity cannot be revealed for legal reasons.

They are said to have been in a relationship for some time, although they did not go to the same school.

His father added: 'He isn't bewildered about about what has happened. He was a bit shocked at first but now he's chuffed to bits.'

Earlier this year another 13-year-old, Alfie Patten, from Eastbourne in East Sussex, was believed to have become a father after his 15-year-old girlfriend conceived.

But DNA tests later showed that another 15-year-old was the father.

Britain has the worst teenage pregnancy rate in Western Europe, with an estimated around 43,000 teenage mothers created in England every year.

This latest case comes after new measures to deal with teenage pregnancies announced by Gordon Brown this week.

He said teenage parents on benefits would be forced to live in 'supervised homes' instead of being given council houses.

'It's time to address a problem that for too long has gone unspoken: the number of children having children,' he declared.

In 2007, there were 42,918 pregnancies among under-18s.

telegraph.co.uk

Western European teenage pregnancy rates (birth per 1000 girls aged 15-19)

Britain: 50.9
Iceland: 42.1
Norway: 31.9
Sweden: 25.4
Denmark: 23.6
France: 22.6
Finland: 19.4
Germany: 18.3
Belgium: 15.1
Greece: 13.5
Italy: 13.3
Spain: 12.4
Netherlands: 11.6

(United States: 85.8 )
(Canada: 44.4)

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I supposed playing leapfrog has its dangers. Don't think this would've happened on a cricket pitch or polo pony.

Cristiane

Nov 3, 2010
Portugal
www.facebook.com
funny thing...the hottest countrys like Spain, Greece, Italy and Portugal has the lowest teenage pregnancy rates?! I always heard that the hotter weather would let people more inclined to intercourse! lol

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
funny thing...the hottest countrys like Spain, Greece, Italy and Portugal has the lowestteenage pregnancy rates?! I always heard that the hotter weather would let people more inclined to intercourse! lol
Na! England is so cold and wet that they have to keep warm somehow. Same thing happens in Canada during the winter. That is why most births happen nine months from the first big freeze.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
There seems to be a spike in birth numbers about that time, from my observation.

I think she meant about the winter/cold weather lasting nine months. Perhaps she thought you were playing a joke on her?;)

selin

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2010
Turkey
Na! England is so cold and wet that they have to keep warm somehow. Same thing happens in Canada during the winter. That is why most births happen nine months from the first big freeze.

good reasoning :D