Top 5 ways to spend your time if financially secure.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
You don't have to work - how do you spend your time? List your top five.

No particular order for myself:

1. Leave my body to its own devices. Stay up late, sleep in late.
2. Take up a charitable cause.
3. Travel everywhere on earth in search of adventure.
4. Lead my people.
5. Post, post, post.

:cool:

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

4. Lead my people.
5. Post, post, post.

1. already do that. That is why I'm up a 4am posting.:p
2. I volunteer for various charitable causes.
3. I travel around on my motorcycle.
4. Lead your people?!!! Now you are getting a Messiah complex.8O ;-)
I would rather listen to people to understand them better.
5. CC is a major part of my social life.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

4. Lead my people.
5. Post, post, post.

It doesn’t work that way, alley. We have been financially secure for many years now; both of us could have quit working years ago.

But the wife likes what she is doing, so she keeps working. She also considers the hardship her retirement would cause (around 2000 patients would be left without a Family Doctor). As to me, sure I like IT, but I would like to retire. But with my wife working, it would be pointless to retire.

So we both keep working. We have both cut down somewhat recently, we travel a fair bit. But other than that, it is business as usual.

And I think that is common to many people who are financially secure, they just keep working. Old habits die hard. Indeed, if you look at the upper management in most companies, they draw seven figure salaries plus huge fat bonuses, stock options etc. It is a safe bet that most of them are financially secure, don’t have to work. But they keep working anyway.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
1. Kayaking
2. Snorkeling
3. Camping
4. Fishing
5. Watching movies

All with Jamie of course. :D

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
It doesn’t work that way, alley. We have been financially secure for many years now; both of us could have quit working years ago.

But the wife likes what she is doing, so she keeps working. She also considers the hardship her retirement would cause (around 2000 patients would be left without a Family Doctor). As to me, sure I like IT, but I would like to retire. But with my wife working, it would be pointless to retire.

So we both keep working. We have both cut down somewhat recently, we travel a fair bit. But other than that, it is business as usual.

And I think that is common to many people who are financially secure, they just keep working. Old habits die hard. Indeed, if you look at the upper management in most companies, they draw seven figure salaries plus huge fat bonuses, stock options etc. It is a safe bet that most of them are financially secure, don’t have to work. But they keep working anyway.

That sounds foreign to me. Even though I'm grateful that I have a decent job, I can't help but feel trapped. If I didn't have to work, I would have no problem finding countless things to do.

Why don't you just play along and list your top five? Let's say the wife says its time to stop working. How do you spend your time?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
1) Half-Arsing my way through Home-Reno Projects with no regard to a budget.
2) Walking my Dogs when the weather is nice and the Sun is still up, whenever I wish.
3) When something breaks down, then just replacing it without massive juggling.
4) Helping Family with a hand up (not a hand out) without worry or concern.
5) Repeating #4 anonymously at any time & place, with anyone, when the urge hits.

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
1. Kayaking
2. Snorkeling
3. Camping
4. Fishing
5. Watching movies

All with Jamie of course. :D
Jeeez, Ton. You could do any of that with any old buddy. I think Les has his priorities straight. I come first. lmao
Of course, he knows I come here, too, so maybe he was just saying that so I wouldn't get my hackles up. hhhmmmm I can see an interrogation coming up here.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Anyway,
1.time with hubby
2.gardening
3.camping
4.hiking
5.running
6.aikido
fishing, woodworking, etc. are there, too.

Last edited:

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
1) Half-Arsing my way through Home-Reno Projects with no regard to a budget.
2) Walking my Dogs when the weather is nice and the Sun is still up, whenever I wish.
3) When something breaks down, then just replacing it without massive juggling.
4) Helping Family with a hand up (not a hand out) without worry or concern.
5) Repeating #4 anonymously at any time & place, with anyone, when the urge hits.

Right on! If only we could get those six numbers on the 649...:smile:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
1 - Giving money away
2 - Golfing
3 - Touring on bike
4 - Golfing
5 - Buying office supplies at Staples and chatting with the "IT" people.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I would buy a nice boat that a guy could live in,spend the 3 months of summer cruising the waterways north of the hudsons bay fishing at 2 am and drinking beers and follow the weather south so you were allways in beer drinking climes.:cool:
I would also purchase a single otter plane and an a-star helicopter so I could visit all my friends who just happen to be scattered all over Canada.

I have some wisdom I got from a welder who had seen better days and it was this"every day above ground is a good day"

At my age it actually means something,your not financially secure if your below ground,just the peeps in your will are.
So dont wait,enjoy life before your financially secure,you could get hit by a truck tommorow,or lightning.:-|

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
3 of my better friends got planted today after a head on collision south of Calgary,they were on the way to fort Mac to work at syncrude.
One guy was 60 and didnt need to work,he was a miner all his life.:-(

3 funerals in 2 provinces,B.C.and Alberta today.I could only attend one.:-(

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
That sounds foreign to me. Even though I'm grateful that I have a decent job, I can't help but feel trapped. If I didn't have to work, I would have no problem finding countless things to do.

Why don't you just play along and list your top five? Let's say the wife says its time to stop working. How do you spend your time?

That may be the reason, alley. Those who feel trapped in their job perhaps don’t make enough to become financially secure early in life. They have to wait until they are 60 or 65 and they look forward to stop working.

On the other hand, those who have interesting, stimulating jobs (doctors, lawyers, IT, accountants, top managements etc.) really like their jobs, and they keep working, whether they are financially secure or not.

I remember attending a financial seminar a few years ago. The presenter was a well known financial advisor. He said that a few years earlier he had enough money for a comfortable retirement. He gave everything up, went to a tropical island and spent his days at the beach. He got bored stiff in ten days. All the swimming, canoeing, wind surfing, boating etc. couldn’t hold him. He came back to the civilization and started working as financial planner once again.

Anyway, I can list five activities; they are pretty much the same as I do currently.

Chess

Reading (mostly science fiction and popular science articles).

Traveling, sightseeing.

Music, Gilbert and Sullivan. Currently I go to UK for the festival every other year; I may consider going every year. Also I may consider participating in an amateur production.

Hiking – I am an avid hiker. If I had all the time on my hand, I may consider going abroad to hike

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
When I retired in 2003, I was planning to spend far more than the usual three weeks of vacation time devoted to Habitat for Humanity, which I did every year since 1993.

Age and Mother nature deemed otherwise. My shoulder needs surgery AGAIN! Had one in 2002.

BUT....

I can still drive my van, delivering Meals on Wheels.

I can still bowl 10 pin, hoping to get closer to a perfect game. (Best so far, 264).

I can still play golf, although I must be satisfied seeing my best drives stop at 180 yards.

Bad shoulder or not, I am quite capable of giving my two year old and two months old grandchildren a hug.

I can still take pleasure in taking my wife of 40+ years to a nice restaurant to order something I can't cook myself.

I can still take my two doggies to the dog-park for their romp, at least three times a week.

I can still post on this forum and I can still hope that not all my post will be written off as malicious. Admittedly, some are.

So, I enjoy myself. I am sure, much to the chagrin of those on this forum who would rather die than say a good word to or about me.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I remember attending a financial seminar a few years ago. The presenter was a well known financial advisor. He said that a few years earlier he had enough money for a comfortable retirement. He gave everything up, went to a tropical island and spent his days at the beach. He got bored stiff in ten days. All the swimming, canoeing, wind surfing, boating etc. couldn’t hold him. He came back to the civilization and started working as financial planner once again.

Yes, of course. What else would one expect him to say. I'm currently a successful financial adviser..I know so much that I have to make money traveling around teaching schmucks like you how to do it?

My uncle, who actually is a success doesn't bother teaching others. He spends his time enjoying life.