i hate the recession

carpenter dave

Nominee Member
Sep 10, 2009
england
I dont know how bad Canada has been hit by the recession but England has been hit pretty bad ,especially in the construction industry .Many building sites have come to a standstill with houses half built and many sites havent even got off the ground .
Other industries have been hit pretty hard too ,my wife has just had to go on a 3 day week .
Many people over here blame the current labour government for not intrvening in the banks who have payed out rediculous bonuses to their executives and for lending out money to people who could not afford to pay it back .
Not so long ago it was not uncommon to receive offers for various loans or credit cards through the post ,or people given mortgages which were well beyond their means .
Theres been lots of houses reposessed and lots of people who have lost their jobs .How have we got in such a mess .:-(

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
We have pretty much the same thing here in BC, I think, Dave.

carpenter dave

Nominee Member
Sep 10, 2009
england
they have predicted it will 5 years at least before we are out of it ,some have said it may not have occured if another government had been in power but theres a saying over here it doesnt matter whos in they all piss in the same pot:smile:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
they have predicted it will 5 years at least before we are out of it ,some have said it may not have occured if another government had been in power but theres a saying over here it doesnt matter whos in they all piss in the same pot:smile:
Yup. We had a pile of Liberals telling people that our PM made the mess (he's Conservative). It's laughable, no-one in any government caused it all. Bush may have had some to do with it by deregulating American corporations but that's it, I think. Everyone's in the shyte.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Its called greed,thats what got us in this mess.Bloated government used to easy tax dollars suddenly has to find more coin so they rape the working man with more taxes.Then when they are hung out to dry and have no more money left the tax rev peeps will come ask for more.

Funny but I dont see the government cutting back but then again they are handing out the stimulis packages and thats like a retirement package and 5 year job security right there for most civil servants.:roll:

carpenter dave

Nominee Member
Sep 10, 2009
england
Yup. We had a pile of Liberals telling people that our PM made the mess (he's Conservative). It's laughable, no-one in any government caused it all. Bush may have had some to do with it by deregulating American corporations but that's it, I think. Everyone's in the shyte.[/quote
Right up to our necks in it ,it makes me want to go into politics im sure id do a better job;-)

carpenter dave

Nominee Member
Sep 10, 2009
england
Its called greed,thats what got us in this mess.Bloated government used to easy tax dollars suddenly has to find more coin so they rape the working man with more taxes.Then when they are hung out to dry and have no more money left the tax rev peeps will come ask for more.

Funny but I dont see the government cutting back but then again they are handing out the stimulis packages and thats like a retirement package and 5 year job security right there for most civil servants.:roll:[/quote
Your not wrong theyve no idea what its like recently there was a big debate over here about mps expences and what they could claim for when, it came to light some were claiming expenses for things that didnt even exist ,if that had been jo public theyd have been arrested for commiting a deception ,not them it was all brushed under the carpet .:roll:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I don’t think Canada was hit as hard as USA or Britain, Dave. I don’t know how much is the unemployment in Britain, but unemployment in Canada is actually lower than that in USA, an unheard of occurrence. Usually unemployment in Canada is higher (sometimes much higher) than in USA.

We are already officially out of recession. It will be a while before unemployment picture starts improving of course; unemployment is usually the last indicator to show improvement. One of the reasons for the relatively mild recession here was the healthy condition of Canadian banks. I think Canadian banks were the only ones in the G20 countries which did not need a bailout. Throughout the meltdown, all the major Canadian banks kept making profits, if somewhat down from before.

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Apparently our bank execs are getting a lot of attention at the G20 this week.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
The banks are reporting that we are on an upswing - earlier than they thought. As far as the bldg. industry goes, the company my son works for were just handed a contract today for 3 new houses. It may not be booming like it was but as far as the island goes - new houses are still being built all over and house sales are up.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I don’t think Canada was hit as hard as USA or Britain, Dave. I don’t know how much is the unemployment in Britain, but unemployment in Canada is actually lower than that in USA, an unheard of occurrence. Usually unemployment in Canada is higher (sometimes much higher) than in USA.

We are already officially out of recession. It will be a while before unemployment picture starts improving of course; unemployment is usually the last indicator to show improvement. One of the reasons for the relatively mild recession here was the healthy condition of Canadian banks. I think Canadian banks were the only ones in the G20 countries which did not need a bailout. Throughout the meltdown, all the major Canadian banks kept making profits, if somewhat down from before.
There are lots of jobs. They just are not high paying jobs. The store I work for is short staffed. My daughter-in-law cannot keep her wait staff. They work for a week and leave for what they consider is something better. Starting wage where I work is only $9.75 p/h but after a brief time, and with enough hours worked per week, they supply medical. I don't pay a dime for my meds or for my husbands and he already has a pretty good plan in place. It's a good training ground. Everyone has to work somewhere. We have lots of people moving into town. The city isn't booming but we're doing okay on this Island.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C

Were out of the recession? Thats good to know,now someone tell those companys with hundreds of drill rigs laid down to get drilling again.

carpenter dave

Nominee Member
Sep 10, 2009
england
Our niece contacted us last night the company she works for the Water board has started laying off some of their gangs who are employed to dig up the roads to repair the pipes and some of the office staff have been put on reduced hours ,when a big company like hers start laying off we are not out of this by a long shot .
The other bone of contention with me and it annoys the hell out of me ,is how companies are taking advantage of the recession .
Up until about 18 months ago a carpenter could earn on average about £15 per hour now most companies are dropping down to around the £12 mark ,and agencies ,who i dont have a great deal of time for are insulting you at around £9 an hour all for a fully qualified tradesman ,its an insult and they are just taking advantage .They must have forgot about the high cost of living in this country.
There was a time when you could drive around the sites go and see the site foreman and as long as you could do the job you were in ,not now theres loads of carpenters brickies sparkies etc out of work ,and those that are working dont know how long the contracts going to last .
I know im on my soap box but its something i feel passionate about ,every time an election comes up all the parties are going to improve things ,they promises you the earth and dont deliver ,as ive said before they "All piss in the same pot ",they dont give a damn about the working class man .
Over here there arent many youngsters who want to do apprenticeships and go into the building game its hard graft after all .
The government have tried to encourage the youth to take up the apprenticeships with advertisements ,what they fail to remember is there arent the jobs out there .
Ive watched the debates in the houses of common and i wonder how they can make a decision on how to fart let alone run our country half of the mps are asleep during the debates about one thing or another ,and its a wonder why we are in a recession .
Canada Australia and New Zealand all have stringent immigration laws and rightly so .Not good old England we let anyone in ,you dont have to work just come in and take the benefits ,and those that do choose to work (few and far between) send half the money out of the country ,doing our economy the world of good ,its a wonder why we want to leave.
Anyway sorry folks im off my soap box now ,ill go have a brew(cup of tea )and calm down

carpenter dave

Nominee Member
Sep 10, 2009
england

Funny but I dont see the government cutting back but then again they are handing out the stimulis packages and thats like a retirement package and 5 year job security right there for most civil servants.:roll:[/quote

Its been greed over here as well and in the main in the housing market .About four years ago our nephew sold his house ,it was a back to back house with one bedroom ,a small living room with what we call a cellar head kitchen which is a kitchen basically in the living room and vey small ,the house also had a postage stamp size garden at the front
The house went on the market at £89,000 8O and sold ,the prices in London were and still are even higher .The bubble had to burst sometime:-|

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Were out of the recession? Thats good to know,now someone tell those companys with hundreds of drill rigs laid down to get drilling again.

I said we are out of recession officially, kakato. Recession means falling GDP two quarters in a row. GDP has stopped falling, so technically the recession is over.

I also said that it will be a while before unemployment picture starts to improve; there usually is a lag of a few months.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I've lived so far below the poverty line for over forty years that I didn't even notice a recession.

I can fully understand that, Cliffy. Before the industrialization, before we had the industrial revolution, there were no recessions (in an agricultural society).