H1N1 - Think it will never really touch you?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Mondays and Tuesdays I look after my grandkids. Today my eldest son called to say that he himself had been exposed to Swine Flu. In the first couple of seconds of the call I felt he was over-reacting. I cont'd to listen. Last Thursday one of the guys working on his house was not feeling too well. Son said the guy didn't look too well either. They worked together for a couple of hours or so.
Today Son found out the fellow was hospitalized with the H1N1 virus. So if he was hospitalized, he's very sick - yes? Son went to the children's school and talked to the principal and said "what would you like me to do about my children since I have obviously been very close to them since last Thursday". Principal said - take the children home and if you yourself don't come down with any symptoms (I believe the timing is 10 days) then the kids can come back to school. Now the waiting game begins. Only 4 days have passed. My son is diabetic. His son has CP and weak lungs. I've heard so many people say "Oh it's just like having a bad cold". Maybe it's not quite like just having a cold. I'm feeling concerned.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I'm usually greasy or oily when I am around other people. Bugs don't like that stuff. I think I am pretty safe. I wash lots, too.
I share your anxiety about the younguns. You've got all our hopes that everything will be ok, VI.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I'm usually greasy or oily when I am around other people. Bugs don't like that stuff. I think I am pretty safe. I wash lots, too.
I share your anxiety about the younguns. You've got all our hopes that everything will be ok, VI.
Thank you.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
A real case of influenza is 'not like having a bad cold'.

People who say that don' know what they are talking about, and this is why we have pandemics. Many people suffer from a cold, and think it's 'the flu'. Many people are stupid.

Inflenza (no matter what strain) will knock the **** out of you for a couple of weeks, and can easily kill you if your system is weak.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Now the waiting game begins. Only 4 days have passed. My son is diabetic. His son has CP and weak lungs. I've heard so many people say "Oh it's just like having a bad cold". Maybe it's not quite like just having a cold. I'm feeling concerned.

Well, I'd be doing everything I could to prepare for it right now. I'd stock up on Gatorade and chicken stock, onion soup, nice teas, honey etc., any of the fluids that your house uses when sick. Stock up on BOTH Tylenol and Advil (during a really bad fever, they can be used together if either one isn't cutting it alone) in whatever strengths are needed for the whole family. Thermometers are a must if they don't have them already. And, if I was home essentially waiting to get sick, I'd prep a freezer full of ready to re-heat meals for when the kids are feeling okay and I'm not, or, when appetites are on the mend but energy levels aren't.

A lot of times ending up hospitalized is a result of not being able to get what you need... being unprepared, and too sick to go to the store for fluids and food, or tylenol, etc.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The incubation period is 4 days for H1N1, if he isn't showing symptoms and his kids are not showing any symptoms then I think they beat the odds this time.

Brat

Electoral Member
May 30, 2007
Well, I'd be doing everything I could to prepare for it right now. I'd stock up on Gatorade and chicken stock, onion soup, nice teas, honey etc., any of the fluids that your house uses when sick. Stock up on BOTH Tylenol and Advil (during a really bad fever, they can be used together if either one isn't cutting it alone) in whatever strengths are needed for the whole family. Thermometers are a must if they don't have them already. And, if I was home essentially waiting to get sick, I'd prep a freezer full of ready to re-heat meals for when the kids are feeling okay and I'm not, or, when appetites are on the mend but energy levels aren't.

A lot of times ending up hospitalized is a result of not being able to get what you need... being unprepared, and too sick to go to the store for fluids and food, or tylenol, etc.

That's some excellent advice right there. I'd take it if I were you.
Hope all goes well for all of you.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yeah, the gatorade is a good point.

Got to be able to replenish the electrolytes.
tea and honey is better for you, and for replenishing, in m opinion, BUT, gatorade is more accessible if no one's well enough to make tea.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
So if he was hospitalized, he's very sick - yes?

Not necessarily. Keeping a sick person quarantined in a hospital is one way to try to contain the disease, and prevent further spreading of the virus. I think it's probably SOP now to do just that during the approaching flu season, and the presence of this new viral pandemic which has jumped species a few times now. Though some organizations may have a different approach to their public health management.

There is a standard group of models used in communicable illness and disease projections/planning. It's called an SIR model. At any point in time, you have susceptible, infected, and recovering people, ignoring any who might be naturally resistant. Keeping those with the infection away from those who are susceptible helps to minimize disease spread. Also, vaccinations for the susceptible limit how much the illness can impact the population in question.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Not that I want to make light of a situation that can be catastrophic, but as they say, laughter is the best medicine.

So, in light of that: and OLD, old friend of mine told me once that the secret of his longevity was/is the fact that whenever he had a bug coming on, he took the "HAT TREATMENT".

Placed a hat on the table and drank his favourite adult beverage until he saw two hats. Then went, slept it off, sweat it out.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
There is already a few articles out on the epidemiology of this new flu strain. This one (pdf):
https://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/191_03_030809/kel10745_fm.pdf

shows clearly that it's not bunk. It isn't as deadly as other flu strains, but it's still criculating through populations, and crossing species thresholds. Each new jump is a chance that the virulence and pathogenicity increase. Right now we're pretty lucky here in Canada, we have god access to drugs that work. None of this is any reason to be confident that it's of little concern. In fact the ease with which this virus becomes zoonotic (crossing species) is part of the reason why epidemiologists are concerned.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
There is already a few articles out on the epidemiology of this new flu strain. This one (pdf):
https://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/191_03_030809/kel10745_fm.pdf

shows clearly that it's not bunk. It isn't as deadly as other flu strains, but it's still criculating through populations, and crossing species thresholds. Each new jump is a chance that the virulence and pathogenicity increase. Right now we're pretty lucky here in Canada, we have god access to drugs that work. None of this is any reason to be confident that it's of little concern. In fact the ease with which this virus becomes zoonotic (crossing species) is part of the reason why epidemiologists are concerned.

I agree completely with you on this one Tonington.

Viruses that have recently "jumped" from other species certainly seem to show the greatest potential for harm.
This virus is capabable of aerosol transmission so we know a very rapid pandemic is entirely possible.

The bird,swine and human DNA in this virus means it's a quick and opportunistic mutator.
Right now it's fairly benign.
For sure it's now churning through various slightly mutated iterations.
And possibly picking up more human, avian or swine DNA along the way.
And that means its virulence could easily increase.

H1N1 could turn very nasty very quickly.

And thats why the health professionals are insisting we take it seriously.

Trex

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I can only imagine the cries in the hypothetical situation where public health officials and professionals don't take it seriously, and it does become very bad. Stretch would have a whole thread of conspirator related info.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
The incubation period is 4 days for H1N1, if he isn't showing symptoms and his kids are not showing any symptoms then I think they beat the odds this time.
Thank you for reminding me to look that up. I was really hoping you were right. However, this is what I read:
Swine Flu Incubation Period

The White House said it was 24-48 hours. In general, the incubation period for the influenza virus (all types of flu) is 2 days, but can range from 1 to 5 days. In most US cases, the incubation period for swine flu seems to range from 2 to 7 days.
Obviously, the exact swine flu incubation period is still disputed. It would be wise to keep a close eye on symptoms for about a week, and up to 10 days to be safe.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Thank you everyone. You've had some kind and thoughtful words and I really appreciate them.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Thank you everyone. You've had some kind and thoughtful words and I really appreciate them.

when the chips are down.... Idon't think any of us are COMPLETE assholes....even the selfprofessed ones.