Former Ontario AG in a bit of a spot

Polygong

Electoral Member
May 18, 2009
Between Ireland and Russia
A sad story. Details on exactly what happened are still foggy.

Sounds to me like Bryant was driving recklessly with no regard for cyclists (hardly a rarity). The cyclist, though in the right, made a fatal mistake in trying to grab on to Bryant's car to keep him from getting away rather than simply taking down his tag number and calling the police.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
A little tip for motorists and cyclists alike.

People take an attack on their vehicle (especially a convertible) as an attack on them.

While it's not okay to drag and kill someone, from what I'm hearing of this case so far, he'll be convicted without jail time for this, because of the aggressive actions of the cyclist.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Aggressive action by a cyclist is not an excuse to kill him; I do hope he does prison time. In any case, his political career is over.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There is no reason on Gods green earth you have the right to kill someone over damage to your car. Here is a man who would be seen to be overseeing the law
at the provincial level. From the look of it here, he didn't care about anyone but
himself and he should be charged with murder. When he started driving in a manner to through the cyclist off the side of the car it was a planned move that
resulted in someones death.
For someone in a government that buys into GM should be driving a Chev or Cadillac, not a Saab. Yes GM owns Saab but this is about Canadian jobs and
I am not sure which has become worse, running over a cyclist or driving a car
made outside the country, maybe we could charge him with both.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Who said he was trying to kill the guy. Determining the circumstances and his intent will play a huge part in what he is eventually charged with.

Polygong

Electoral Member
May 18, 2009
It has been revealed that the cyclist had been drinking earlier in the evening and had a minor altercation with the police. That doesn't tell the whole story of course, but it does suggest something about his frame of mind and the sort of behaviour Bryant may have been faced with. Still many more facts to come out before passing judgement, in either direction.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
It has been revealed that the cyclist had been drinking earlier in the evening and had a minor altercation with the police. That doesn't tell the whole story of course, but it does suggest something about his frame of mind and the sort of behaviour Bryant may have been faced with. Still many more facts to come out before passing judgement, in either direction.

Mehhhhhhhhhhh; Bryant walks, and sues the family of the "deceased" for damage to his car and mental trauma.
You heard it hear first!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry3:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is an ugly situation all around. If I was this former Ontario A.G. (Bryant),
and thank God I'm not, I think I'd want a Jury Trail over just a Judge....

I've been listening to a National Call-In Talk Show this afternoon, and those
Toronto residents (who aren't Bicycle Couriers) don't seem to have a whole
lot of love for the Bike Couriers.

Exstrim cyclists on NY streets.. P.S. Bike Messengers - Видео

Who knows how this thing will pan out in the end, but it sounds like police
have video from close to seventy different surveillance sources, but most
are from stores and are about 1/2 of a second in duration. Either way
though, Shepherd will remain dead and Bryant's time in politics is finished.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Mehhhhhhhhhhh; Bryant walks, and sues the family of the "deceased" for damage to his car and mental trauma.
You heard it hear first!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry3:

And perhaps justifiably!

Seems bike guy had been drinking, and after a minor collision he threw down his bike and attacked Bryant, trying to put him in a headlock through the driver's window, and then there was a struggle for the steering wheel.

Just one possible scenario, nobody knows yet......

According to the CBC News tonight....

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
And perhaps justifiably!

Seems bike guy had been drinking, and after a minor collision he threw down his bike and attacked Bryant, trying to put him in a headlock through the driver's window, and then there was a struggle for the steering wheel.

See:lol: toll ya.

Always carry a small screwdriver in the console and aim for an eye. Cyclists are very likely to let go.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
And perhaps justifiably!

In other news, the bike guy had been drinking and he just had a fight with his girlfriend. All this will come out in court and Bryant just might get away with this....Hell....Maybe he should get away with it. I don't know what I would have done under the same circumstances.

Polygong

Electoral Member
May 18, 2009
If he was acting in self-defense, which is possible, then it wouldn't be "getting away with it".

What is getting worrisome is that there's alot of dirt about Mr. Sheppard being dragged into the spotlight making judgement of the whole situation very ad hominous.

His past can indeed give some insight into how he may have behaved, but the focus should be on the actual incident in judging Mr. Bryant.