The Foods We Eat and what they can do.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
There was a chart here but it broke down into one very very long post that was difficult to read.​

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Beef liver contains enough vitamin A, B12, and iron to make it weekly part of your diet.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I have always loved liver, but haven't eaten it for years, as my cholestrol was a
little high, and liver is bad for that problem, but it is down now, so I might
add it to our diet once a week.

I used to try to buy calves liver, so so tender, and with my fresh walla walla onions
from the garden, it would be a delicious meal.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I have always loved liver, but haven't eaten it for years, as my cholestrol was a
little high, and liver is bad for that problem, but it is down now, so I might
add it to our diet once a week.

I used to try to buy calves liver, so so tender, and with my fresh walla walla onions
from the garden, it would be a delicious meal.
Yes, fresh Walla Walla onions and a few rashers of bacon. I found a recipe the kids even liked. I'll post it when I get back from a couple errands I have to do.

We try to have liver at least once or twice a month.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Beef liver contains enough vitamin A, B12, and iron to make it weekly part of your diet.
I'm not so sure I agree with you here Juan. There are other more healthy choices of vitamin A and B12 and Iron.
The following is a list of high cholestrol foods. They are listed according to food type, serving size, and cholestrol levels. If at all possible, try to eat something else, or choose lower fat versions of them:
Food Serving Size Cholestrol Level
Beef, kidney 3.5oz 375 mg
Beef, liver 3.5oz 300 mg
Beefsteak 3.5oz 70 mg
Boiled egg 1 225 mg
Butter 3.5oz 250 mg
Cheddar cheese 1oz 19 mg
Chicken 3.5oz 60 mg
Cream cheese 1oz 27 mg
Ice Cream 3.5oz 45 mg
Lamb 3.5oz 70 mg
Sponge cake 3.5oz 260 mg
It is important to have no more than 200mg or less of cholestrol per day. The rest of any healthy diet should include fresh fruits, vegetables, legumes (peas, beans, lentils, etc.), whole grains and either 2% or no-fat milk.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'm not putting down a balanced diet but beef liver is an excellent source of a lot of things we need. I've been having beef liver several times a month for sixty odd years and I see it as a very useful food. There are few foods that have the concentration of vitamin A and the B vitamins that liver has and taste so good..;-)

Oh. And over that time I've seen the medical community flip flop on cholesterol four or five times.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
MIL likes liver, but her son and I don't. We'll take the multivits to supplement what we don't get in food, thanks.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I like liver, but, after reading about transmission of spongiform encephalopathies... I'll pass. :lol:

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I had celery root for the first time in my life today. Good stuff.

I tend not to eat a lot of meat. No reason really, just often choose vegetables. Cheese as well.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Just thought I'd mention that cholesterol isn't inherently bad. You should only avoid it if your body has a hard time reducing high levels of low density lipoproteins in general. For the most part, that's a problem that comes with age. Our bodies use it/convert it into many products, steroids like testosterone, or fat soluble vitamins, or cell membranes, or shunts it into other biochemical pathways. It's a very important molecule. Though our body synthesizes it from smaller molecules. There is even evidence that it acts as an anti-oxidant.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I like liver, but, after reading about transmission of spongiform encephalopathies... I'll pass. :lol:

You are probably safer eating liver than ground beef. It seems to me that spongif....Mad Cow disease is passed through nerve tissue and you don't know what part or parts of the animal are in ground beef.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
You are probably safer eating liver than ground beef. It seems to me that spongif....Mad Cow disease is passed through nerve tissue and you don't know what part or parts of the animal are in ground beef.

I don't buy ground meat at the grocery store. If I buy it, I buy it from the butcher, and they cut it off a hanging leg right in front of me.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I don't buy ground meat at the grocery store. If I buy it, I buy it from the butcher, and they cut it off a hanging leg right in front of me.

That is wise...And of course the animal has to actually have the disease before you can catch it.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

The good thing about doing that is that the ground beef that you buy comes from one cow, and the butcher (and you) look at it before it's ground. When the packing house ground beef is sold to the stores, some estimates are that any pound of ground beef could have meat from hundreds of different cows in the package.