How has the Economy treated you ?

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
So if we are close or truly at the bottom of the economic downturn, how has this affected you.

Have you lost your job ?

Have you increased your work load ?

Have you made money from this recession ?

When you stop to think, how many family members where affected by this recession ?

Anything else you would like to add I might have missed ?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I still have a job, although about 5 of my colleagues were let go. My workload has increased significantly since then but it is manageable. I got a 3% wage increase this year so I can't complain too much, bonuses were somewhat lower then the previous year though.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I noticed business is down and they are talking about work sharing which is really putting everybody part-time.

I am battering more and haggling even more.

This is a good time to go on a diet since I will get paid less if it's true on what they are saying.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Being on a fixed income, I notice prices going up but we knew there would be inflation. I've been retired for almost ten years. There has been more inflation in the last two years than in the previous seven or eight. I wonder about young people buying homes these days when just about any home in Vancouver will cost well over half a million dollars.
I would say the economy has treated me pretty well. I can't talk for anyone else.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I see what it's doing to folks who thought the good times would last forever. It's one of the few times then being on this disability pension seems like a good thing. My last mortgage payment is in August ... so I'm doing okay. My son-in-law found work in his trade that isn't mines-dependent and sold off some of the toys. They'll do okay....

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I still have a job, although about 5 of my colleagues were let go. My workload has increased significantly since then but it is manageable. I got a 3% wage increase this year so I can't complain too much, bonuses were somewhat lower then the previous year though.

So you got a three per-cent increase in wages for a ten per-cent increase in workload. You'll eventually pay them to work there I assume.:lol:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Here in the sad sack Maritimes, our unemployment rate is about the same as it has been for years, house prices are rising, the first LNG tanker to come to Canada arrived on Saturday, so things are going well.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I noticed business is down and they are talking about work sharing which is really putting everybody part-time.

This is a good time to go on a diet since I will get paid less if it's true on what they are saying.

You poor poor man, battering and haggling for a living.:smile:

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
a lot of people are moving to the Maritimes they are the new Alberta.

A lot of people I know are buying property there for investment.

East coast is the in thing

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

You could always become a gay hooker for extra cash.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Speaking of growth...want a safe investment? Invest in growth...tumour growth. With most of the population at their acme, cancer is on it's way up. Live or die there is $250,000 per patient to be made.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Does that even cover inflation (aka and marketed as "growth")?

Referring to my 3% raise? I haven't a clue if that is higher of lower then the inflation rate. I can still afford copious amounts of Cannabis and Beer so it's all good. :smile: