Gorilla Wasn't Picking A Fight

mt_pockets1000
There's no gorilla warfare going on at the Calgary Zoo. Photographs taken after a keeper accidentally left a knife in the zoo's gorilla enclosure appear to tell a menacing story. One shows a gorilla, named Barika, clutching the blade in her black, hairy hand, seemingly pointing the sharp end at an unsuspecting troop mate sitting nearby.
But zoo officials say the primates don't understand the idea of using weapons and were never in any real danger.
A keeper carried the paring knife into the enclosure to help prepare food for the gorillas, said Cathy Gaviller, the zoo's director of conservation, education and research.
He stuck the blade in his pocket, but it slid out unnoticed and was left behind.
Soon, a curious Barika stumbled across the shiny object and picked it up by the handle.

Calgary zoo says gorilla wasn't picking a fight by pointing knife at cage mate - Yahoo! Canada News (external - login to view)

For a minute I thought things were so bad in Calgary that the zoo animals were turning to crime?

Ron in Regina
It starts innocently enough...

This time it was a paring knife...

Next time it might be a forgotten nail gun...

Then in no time at all (geologic time scale?), you've got this...

Yep...It's Friday afternoon again...

darkbeaver
"But zoo officials say the primates don't understand the idea of using weapons and were never in any real danger."

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

"But zoo officials say the primates don't understand the idea of using weapons and were never in any real danger."

They mighta cut their fingers, or something.

Given time, and the possession of shivs, they might learn. Don't get too close to the bars.......

Nuggler
Quoting mt: "For a minute I thought things were so bad in Calgary that the zoo animals were turning to crime?""

Hey, they was molested when they was small, and wuz just defendin themselves, eh!!

They feel remorseful now.

darkbeaver
I thought humans wuz primates.

mt_pockets1000
Yes, we're primates. Mom used to always call us 'rangatangs. She wasn't far off the mark.

Apparently, gorillas do use tools as weapons. (external - login to view)

Ron in Regina
Quote: Originally Posted by mt_pockets1000View Post

Yes, we're primates. Mom used to always call us 'rangatangs. She wasn't far off the mark.

Apparently, gorillas do use tools as weapons. (external - login to view)

I've heard that.

darkbeaver
I'll sue if the photo of my grampy is not removed immeadiately.

mt_pockets1000
Man, you're grampy has hairy knuckles. And he looks like a mean SOB?

Machjo
You're all wrong. This is waht a primate looks like:

mt_pockets1000
...and what a studious looking fellow he it too....wha? Geezus, I could melt down that staff and feed thousand people for a day.