A Sign of the Times?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm just curious, but is this something new, or just new to where I am?

Is this a good idea? Would you plug in a Buck, and then stop into this
PetroCanada Service Station to pick up a jug of milk or a loaf of bread
or a pack of cigarettes or a lotto ticket, etc...?

Or...would you drive elsewhere to save your dollar, and then make your
incidental purchases wherever you get to fill you tire without a fee
charged for that air?

Do you think this Service Station will increase or decrease profit due to
this new Fee for air?

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Good day Ron, what a bad marketing idea, the next thing this station may do is have doors that lock after you enter and you will be asked to pay a buck for the use of the door function, is that demented or what? For sure not a place I will stop and do business with and now that you have brought it to my attention I am looking for this stupid units and I will boycott any service station and the oil company they represent.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I have seen this going on for years in the Toronto area. It is not longer a value added service unfortunately.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
We have these in the Irving fuel dumps good thing to because none of the twats working there no anything about serviceing vehicles. Hortons is attached to the place so on a busy day you can watch the completely helpless customers trying to figure out how to do thier tire pressure while you have coffee and mareawanna.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Really, who puts air in their tires these days? In all these years, I remember putting air in my tires maybe once or twice (once when I had a small puncture but was too lazy to change the tire until I got home).

These days the inner liner in the tires is so good that you don’t need to put air in them. I think this move will be a wash. I don’t see them taking in anything substantial. They will be lucky if they recover the expense of installing the coin machine.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Really, who puts air in their tires these days? In all these years, I remember putting air in my tires maybe once or twice (once when I had a small puncture but was too lazy to change the tire until I got home).

These days the inner liner in the tires is so good that you don’t need to put air in them. I think this move will be a wash. I don’t see them taking in anything substantial. They will be lucky if they recover the expense of installing the coin machine.

Flats do happen, Sir Joe. I see it all the time. Not every driver has run-flat tires or knows how to care for a car for that matter.

A buck for 1 minute worth of air could add up to a pretty decent profit after a while.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yesterday was the first time I'd ever seen such a thing. I stopped
at the compressor to top up a rear tire, on the way to going into
the Service Station for a couple of Packs of Cigarettes and a pack
of Hamburger Buns.

I didn't even notice the coin slot function until I was out of the car.
I got back in my car and drove elsewhere, and made my other
purchases where I actually put air in my tire. I stopped at that
Service Station because of the Air Compressor, and left that
same Service Station because of the new coin slot feature on
that same Air Compressor.

Not only did this PetroCanada NOT get my dollar for the air, but
they missed out on about $27 in other purchases in that one stop
by one person alone. I don't see this as a good idea either....

This is very new to where I live, but it seems not new to Toronto. Is
this idea wide spread elsewhere? What other weird signs of the
times with respect to superfluous fee's have you seen?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

This is very new to where I live, but it seems not new to Toronto. Is
this idea wide spread elsewhere? What other weird signs of the
times with respect to superfluous fee's have you seen?

I suspect most independent stores haven't gone this route (if there is such a thing anymore), it's probably a new corporate policy from Petro Canada and the like.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Correct tire pressure is very important both with respect to vehicle stability and fuel efficiency. Illmaintained tire pressure can also result in premature wear of road components. Ambient air temperature does effect your pressure.The deal for the air units is sweet for the service station personell who no longer are responsible for coiling the hose or costly interruptions or any liability encured through damage by the twats. It's maintained by the providers.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
That is common down here in the states. They USED to have money collectors to use bathrooms but a law was passed to stop that. Gas stations get you coming and going.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

And I share a road with you????

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
That is common down here in the states. They USED to have money collectors to use bathrooms but a law was passed to stop that. Gas stations get you coming and going.

I would hope they would wipe my arse too if I had to pay for the privilege of using their washrooms. :smile:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I am really surprised that this caught some people off guard. Every gas station I know of has a pay air pump.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Correct tire pressure is very important both with respect to vehicle stability and fuel efficiency. Illmaintained tire pressure can also result in premature wear of road components. Ambient air temperature does effect your pressure.The deal for the air units is sweet for the service station personell who no longer are responsible for coiling the hose or costly interruptions or any liability encured through damage by the twats. It's maintained by the providers.

I will take your word for it. But I never fill air in my tires (and I suspect many people are like me). I bought the present car three years ago; I never filled air in the tires.

Just last week I had my routine maintenance, I was told that all the tires are in great shape. No uneven wear, etc. plenty of tread still left (I assume they rotate the tires during regular maintenance). In old days, when inner tube was not very efficient and air used to leak out, it was important to top up. I don’t think that has been necessary for years now. I would fill up air only for extraordinary circumstances, such as getting a puncture (or I replaced the tire with the mini and mini does not have enough air pressure).

These days inner liners are very good, have very low permeability, and usually it is not important to top up the air. I am not even sure what is the status where I live, whether they charge for air or not. To me, this is a non issue.