Legalised Euthanasia: for or against ?

kiwi_NZ

Electoral Member
May 23, 2009
New Zealand
Scary thought! I'm not a religious person by any means but I do not believe in taking someones life by way of lethal injection.

People for euthanasia say that voluntary euthanasia will not lead to involuntary euthanasia. They look at things as simply black and white. In real life there would be millions of situations each year where cases would not fall clearly into either category.

Here are two:
Example 1: an elderly person in a nursing home, who can barely understand a breakfast menu, is asked to sign a form consenting to be killed. Is this voluntary or involuntary? Will they be protected by the law? How? Right now the overall prohibition on killing stands in the way. Once one signature can sign away a person's life, what can be as strong a protection as the current absolute prohibition on direct killing? Answer: nothing.
Example 2: a woman is suffering from depresssion and asks to be helped to commit suicide. One doctor sets up a practice to "help" such people. She and anyone who wants to die knows he will approve any such request. He does thousands a year for $200 each. How does the law protect people from him? Does it specify that a doctor can only approve 50 requests a year? 100? 150? If you don't think there are such doctors, just look at recent stories of doctors and nurses who are charged with murder for killing dozens or hundreds of patients.

Legalised euthanasia would most likely progress to the stage where people, at a certain point, would be expected to volunteer to be killed. Think about this: What if your veternarian said that your ill dog would be better of "put out of her misery" by being "put to sleep" and you refused to consent. What would the vet and his assistants think? What would your friends think? Ten years from now, if a doctor told you your mother's "quality of life" was not worth living for and asked you, as the closest family member, to approve a "quick, painless ending of her life" and you refused how would doctors, nurses and others, conditioned to accept euthanasia as normal and right, treat you and your mother. Or, what if the approval was sought from your mother, who was depressed by her illness? Would she have the strength to refuse what everyone in the nursing home "expected" from seriously ill elderly people?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Euthanasia? No. Death with dignity, Do Not Resuscitate, No Heroic Measures.... Anyone has that right. Assisted suicide - when quality of life has become unbearable and there is no hope of recovery.... Again, it should be up to the individual.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
It should be up to the individual in choosing the method in calling it the day.

Pain knows only one enemy DEATH.

If my body will not be able to stand up because of pain, then DEATH should be my weapon of choice.

Assisted suicide is a method that allows a person to help another go to sleep and never answer to pain of bodily suffering ever again.

There is no dignity in life when a person has no control of their body and on top, they endure pain day in day out. I want to be cremated after all is said and done and blow my ashes in the sea.

Last edited:

kiwi_NZ

Electoral Member
May 23, 2009
New Zealand
Turning off a machine that keeps you breathing is not the same as killing someome with a lethal injection.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't agree with active euthanasia of human beings.

Passive euthanasia (ceasing iv and tube feeding) if someone is beyond repair, and in too much pain to carry on, yes.

Flat out, active euthanasia, no.

What we need is better palliative care imo.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Considering I am "pro-life", the answer is simple and obvious.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
In both cases you have cited, there would probably be evidence that the person was not mentally capable of making that decision, so it would not be legal euthanasia.

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
What if your veternarian said that your ill dog would be better of "put out of her misery" by being "put to sleep" and you refused to consent. What would the vet and his assistants think? What would your friends think? Ten years from now, if a doctor told you your mother's "quality of life" was not worth living for and asked you, as the closest family member, to approve a "quick, painless ending of her life" and you refused how would doctors, nurses and others, conditioned to accept euthanasia as normal and right, treat you and your mother. Or, what if the approval was sought from your mother, who was depressed by her illness? Would she have the strength to refuse what everyone in the nursing home "expected" from seriously ill elderly people?

I personally am for the option of euthanasia for people who are in a mentally sound state and can make that decision for themselves.

I work in the veterinary health field and we deal with euthanasia a lot. I don't think any less of a person that chooses to let nature take it's course in regards to their pets lives. It is a difficult decision to make. We give our clients all their options and try and give them all the information that they need to make their decision. None of it is taken lightly and there are very few cases where we would more firmly encourage euthanasia.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I, too, am in the "For" camp. I held a Dog (not one of my own) that
had kidneys that where failing, and only had a couple of absolutely
horrible days to live. I held Him and comforted Him as he was
injected, and passed away very quickly, and what seemed to be
painlessly. The look in His eyes in those final few seconds wasn't
pain or fear. I like to think I saw relief and gratitude.

I watched my Mother die horribly with cancer, which in the end was
everywhere. I wish I could have given her the dignity that Dog was
given.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
It happens already but the methods are intensely cruel. In the Okanagan there are old folks homes where the staff do not assist the elderly in eating (an example I know of first hand). They just place the food in front of them and when they don't eat just take it away and claim the person mustn't have been hungry. The elderly people starve to death or succumb to illness brought on by their increased frailty.

The scary thing is that government will see euthanasia as a cost saving measure and bring back the old eugenics programs from before the war.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I am also for voluntary euthanasia (or rather, assisted suicide, the two are not the same thing).

There are several jurisdictions where it is legal. Netherlands, Oregon, Washington (I think Washington recently approved it). There haven’t been exactly a flood of cases of abuse by anybody.

Provided there are sufficed safeguards, I don’t see a problem. Same as abortion. As long as abortion is totally volunraty, it should be legal. The same with euthanasia.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Wife's brother-in-law's mother sat in a palliative care home for 8 years in misery. Not a day went by when she didn't mention at least once that all she wanted was to die.
Then there's the stroke victims that are essentially hemiplegic and can't talk, write, etc. but had signed a DNR request. Nice life.
I used to be for capital punishment for people that are totally useless to society like Clifford Olson, but now I am against it. I would much prefer to see them live long and in as much misery as possible. I'll likely change my mind as new data pours into the old noggin and is processed, though.

Last edited:

kiwi_NZ

Electoral Member
May 23, 2009
New Zealand
Very much against.

Excellent stuff colpy.... My father died in my arms after a harrowing cancer death, no matter what I could not ever put him to sleep with a lethal injection. He did go through a lot, but sometimes we humans are meant to for what ever reasons unknown to us in this lifetime.

My Mum was killed in a car accident had she have lived she would have been a vegetable but still I would not kill her / take her life

My sister is in the latter stages of cancer now as I type this, she has a drip for the pain that she self administers and yet again I could not would not put her to sleep via lethal injection.

We in New Zealand are very lucky to have the best palliative care for our pain sufferers and the sick and needy. It is a very personal subject and each to their own, a bit like being a donor really.

In NZ we have the right to add "donor" on our drivers license, so that if we are killed we give permission in advance for our organs to be taken and used at will, perhaps this should be the same for euthanasia? Make the same decision in advance ? Not a silly thing really and have an option say 5 yearly to update your wish or retract it.

However in NZ family can contest it so why the blardy hell have it there in the first place!

I don't believe we should ever take the life of another human, it is not for us to decide that fate...

It is different however if someone is being kept alive on life support, i.e. they cannot breathe for themselves. If you can't live without a machine are you not already dead? Induced comas different again ... Thats medically induced...

Hmmmmm, a very dear and close subject :) Blessings to anyone and everyone who has cared for and watched loved ones die an agonising death...

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I, too, am in the "For" camp. I held a Dog (not one of my own) that
had kidneys that where failing, and only had a couple of absolutely
horrible days to live. I held Him and comforted Him as he was
injected, and passed away very quickly, and what seemed to be
painlessly. The look in His eyes in those final few seconds wasn't
pain or fear. I like to think I saw relief and gratitude.

I watched my Mother die horribly with cancer, which in the end was
everywhere. I wish I could have given her the dignity that Dog was
given.

I'm also in favor for the same reasons. We would need a regulatory system of checks and balances to prevent abuses, but in general I'm in favor of people with good reasons being able to choose to die with dignity.

BTW, suicide is legal. Attempted suicide isn't....

Suicide methods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
In NZ we have the right to add "donor" on our drivers license, so that if we are killed we give permission in advance for our organs to be taken and used at will, perhaps this should be the same for euthanasia? Make the same decision in advance ? Not a silly thing really and have an option say 5 yearly to update your wish or retract it.

Kiwi, we do that in Ontario as well, but with the health card. I signed up for organ donation when I got my health card (when I returned to Canada in 1986).

As to doing the same thing for euthanasia, I think that is an excellent idea.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

Say what, Earth_as_one? You probably mean ‘assisted suicide’. If suicide is legal, it follows that attempted suicide is legal as well.

kiwi_NZ

Electoral Member
May 23, 2009
New Zealand

Say what, Earth_as_one? You probably mean ‘assisted suicide’. If suicide is legal, it follows that attempted suicide is legal as well.

ha ha! Excellent point SJP, love how quick you are..

was just thinking the same as you and if it were legal why do insurance companies not cover you if you commit suicide? (in NZ that is)