Earth Hour: Turn Off the Lights!

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Today from 8.30 p.m. to 9.30 p.m. (EST) lights will be turned off all over the world, to reduce greenhouse gases, to do our bit for the environment. This includes Las Vegas, Broadway, Pyramids, etc.

This year 2,848 cities, towns, and municipalities are joining the eco-blackout. The event’s organizers say that they are shooting for 1 billion people to participate. The event started in 2007.

Most of the world will participate, except the global warming deniers, of course. According to them (Messiah included), global warming is a hoax, a plot cooked up by Osama Ben Laden and Al Qaeda to ruin the economies of USA and Canada. No doubt they think that his scheme is inspired by the Devil himself.

Bu the rest of you, please join in the effort to curb the greenhouse gases. The action is symbolic as well as resulting in some reduction of GHG.

As to global warming deniers, I assume they will want to turn the lights on full force, even more that usual. But the rest of you, please join in the effort.

RanchHand

Electoral Member
Feb 22, 2009
USA
Today from 8.30 p.m. to 9.30 p.m. (EST) lights will be turned off all over the world, to reduce greenhouse gases, to do our bit for the environment. This includes Las Vegas, Broadway, Pyramids, etc.

This year 2,848 cities, towns, and municipalities are joining the eco-blackout. The event’s organizers say that they are shooting for 1 billion people to participate. The event started in 2007.

Most of the world will participate, except the global warming deniers, of course. According to them (Messiah included), global warming is a hoax, a plot cooked up by Osama Ben Laden and Al Qaeda to ruin the economies of USA and Canada. No doubt they think that his scheme is inspired by the Devil himself.

Bu the rest of you, please join in the effort to curb the greenhouse gases. The action is symbolic as well as resulting in some reduction of GHG.

As to global warming deniers, I assume they will want to turn the lights on full force, even more that usual. But the rest of you, please join in the effort.

By your own admission you only believe something is true if you read it in the NY Times, CNN, etc so is there any chance you can back up you ultra left wing opinion with facts for this:
"Most of the world will participate, except the global warming deniers, of course. According to them (Messiah included), global warming is a hoax"

In your first paragraph you say the lights will be turned out in Las Vegas and on Broadway in New York. In your third paragraph you indicate the US will not participate. Can you clarify this please? Why do you include the Pyramids with the Vegas strip and Broadway? I was brought up to believe there is a broken heart for every light on Broadway, not the Pyramids.
The cop out that the US is conservative and a liberal in the US would be a conservative in the US is wearing thin and can no longer be used as a defense for your over the top posts.

"Messiah included" Name calling. Isn't this one of the ways you know you've won your arugment and the other poster has run out of ideas?

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
In your first paragraph you say the lights will be turned out in Las Vegas and on Broadway in New York. In your second paragraph you indicate the US will not participate. Can you clarify this please?
Of course you are confused. He never said any of the things you claim.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Earth Hour 2009: A Billion to Go Dark Saturday?

Ker Than
for National Geographic News

March 26, 2009
Starting in New Zealand's remote Chatham Islands, thousands of cities, towns, and landmarks around the world will start to go dark for Earth Hour on Saturday evening.
Up to a billion people worldwide are expected to participate in this global voluntary blackout by switching off their lights from 8:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. local time.

Enlarge Photo

Printer Friendly
Email to a Friend
What's This?
Digg StumbleUpon Reddit
RELATED

The movement, sponsored by the conservation nonprofit WWF, is designed as a symbolic gesture in support of action against global warming.
Now in its third year, Earth Hour has been attracting some high-profile advocates.
United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon recently pledged his support for Earth Hour, saying it has the potential to be "the largest demonstration of public concern about climate change ever attempted."
Secretary-General Ban urged people to participate as a way of letting politicians know that they expect progress at the Global Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen, Denmark, in December, when world leaders will meet to draft a replacement for the Kyoto Protocol.
Other big names endorsing Earth Hour 2009 include actors Edward Norton and Cate Blanchett, musicians Alanis Morissette and Big Kenny, and the band Coldplay.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Sorry. I meant the third paragraph, not the second.
Third says; "Most of the world will participate, except the global warming deniers, of course."

I assume he is referring to Both Canadian and American deniers as well as globally.

I'm just pointing this out to you to save us both the novello that Sir JP would write explaining it.

My arthritic fingers don't fing as well as they once did so I keep things short and to the point.

Have a good day!

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Toronto skyline will go black at 8:30 p.m.

I'm just pointing this out to you to save us both the novello that Sir JP would write explaining it.

Petros, novello. Is that a word? I thought it was novella. Anyway, you are quite right of course, I was referring to global warming deniers in USA as well as Canada. Fortunately, there are many sensible enlightened people on both sides of the border. Hence the participation by Las Vegas and Broadway.

My arthritic fingers don't fing as well as they once did so I keep things short and to the point.

Sorry about your arthritis, Petros, I don’t suffer from any such malady, so can easily write a novella in response.

In your third paragraph you indicate the US will not participate. Can you clarify this please?

Ranchhand, I dais nothing of the sort. I said the global warming denying nuts will not participate (incidentally, I assume you are a global warming denier). There are plenty of people in USA, who think that global warming is a real danger. After all, Al Gore, who performed such a valuable service in promoting awareness of global warming (and received a well deserved Nobel Prize), is from USA.

So my point was that people concerned about environment everywhere will participate. On the other hand, global warming deniers, anti-environmentalists, will not participate (or will participate in the other direction, by keeping more lights on as usual).

So which side are you on?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I will be celebrating our cheap clean green hydro electric power,
by turning on all lights and electrical appliances at 8.30 p.m. this evening.

I wonder if the hockey game will still be on the tube?or if the cbc will be participating.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Sir JP
Petros, novello. Is that a word? I thought it was novella.
I've been craving a Revello but it's too early for ice-cream.
SirJP
Sorry about your arthritis, Petros, I don’t suffer from any such malady, so can easily write a novella in response.
I kinda figured as much with Anna Karenina being a shorter read on occasions.

I'll have to get you a linen writing smock like Tolstoy for your birthday.

A man is like a fraction whose numerator is what he is and whose denominator is what he thinks of himself. The larger the denominator, the smaller the fraction.

I'd give you 87/100. :headbang:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Between 8:30pm-9:30pm I will be here. Someone has to man the battlestations after all.;-)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
By your own admission you only believe something is true if you read it in the NY Times, CNN, etc so is there any chance you can back up your ultra left wing opinion with facts for this:

Why the hell is it "ultra left wing" to make a mainly symbolic gesture at energy saving? No doubt you don't believe in global warming either. Nah....that would mean you are blind as a bat or stupid.....Nobody is that blind or stupid....:roll:;-)

RanchHand

Electoral Member
Feb 22, 2009
USA
Quote: By your own admission you only believe something is true if you read it in the NY Times, CNN, etc so is there any chance you can back up your ultra left wing opinion with facts for this:​

Why the hell is it "ultra left wing" to make a mainly symbolic gesture at energy saving? No doubt you don't believe in global warming either. Nah....that would mean you are blind as a bat or stupid.....Nobody is that blind or stupid....:roll::wink:

If I needed to call a fellow poster blind and stupid I would be pretty sure to be standing on firm ground, otherwise you open yourself up to looking like a jerk off. Your supposed to go beyond the colon in my puncution to see the 'ultra left wing opinion' that I was referring to:
"Most of the world will participate, except the global warming deniers, of course. According to them (Messiah included), global warming is a hoax"

Most of the world is participating? SirJoe says the organizers are shooting for one billion, a pretty meaningless statement. Even if they got that many, do 'ya think it's most of the world? I call him Obama. SirJoe calls him a name. How do you know Obama thinks global warming is a hoax? How do you know I think it's a hoax?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Ridiculous. This house will be carrying on as usual. We have rearranged an awful lot over the past couple decades in our habits and house and see no reason to display some silly token to show we are conscious of planetary matters. It's like displaying your bathing suit to show people you can swim, even if you aren't wearing it and can't swim.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
"Messiah included" Name calling. Isn't this one of the ways you know you've won your arugment and the other poster has run out of ideas?

Sorry I posted one hurried post and left. I had to meet a deadline. But I am done now, grabbed a bite to eat and am ready to wage war over the keyboard.

Ranchhand, calling somebody ‘Messiah’ is name calling? You can’t’ be serious. I would think calling somebody a Messiah is paying him the highest complement. Since when is the term ’Messiah’ a term of insult? At least it isn’t in my dictionary.

No, Messiah is not insult, it is sarcasm. Same as referring to Sarah Palin as Joan of Arc is sarcasm. And suppose it was an insult (which it isn’t), so what? Public figures are insulted all the time. The right wing has called Obama plenty of insulting names already (Muslim terrorist and empty suit being two of them). Of course, left called Bush plenty of insulting names as well, so it works both ways.

But the point is, public figures are fair game for insults, sarcasm, lampooning, satire, etc. That is the price public figures pay when they put themselves in the public arena.

So Messiah isn’t an insult. But even if it was, there is nothing wrong with it; it is perfectly acceptable to insult public figures.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Most of the world is participating? SirJoe says the organizers are shooting for one billion, a pretty meaningless statement. Even if they got that many, do 'ya think it's most of the world?

RanchHand, if one billion people participate that is most of the developed world. The developing world does not come into it. They already consume a lot less resources than the developed world (per person). Many parts of developing world do not even have electricity.

So it wouldn’t make sense to talk of developing world in this context (electricity consumption). When I said most of the world, I meant most of the developed world, where substantial amount of greenhouse emission takes place.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Why do you include the Pyramids with the Vegas strip and Broadway?

RanchHand, that is easy. This is to show that many countries in the world are participating in the earth hour, not just USA.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I've been craving a Revello but it's too early for ice-cream.
I kinda figured as much with Anna Karenina being a shorter read on occasions.

I'll have to get you a linen writing smock like Tolstoy for your birthday.

A man is like a fraction whose numerator is what he is and whose denominator is what he thinks of himself. The larger the denominator, the smaller the fraction.

I'd give you 87/100. :headbang:

Petros, I thought you would say 8.7/100, rather than 87/100. I do have a big ego, I admit. I suppose that is why it isn’t bruised by insults and putdowns by others. If somebody insults me, I am amused, tolerant, and feel sorry for the other fellow, the pathetic creature that he is, than feel angry about it. After all, it is only a small, insecure, inferior ego that resorts to insults.

So I do plead guilty here, I do have a big ego.

Anyway, I will come back to this thread later. It is my intention to keep this thread on the front page today, if possible, so that maximum number of posters will become aware of the earth hour.

RanchHand

Electoral Member
Feb 22, 2009
USA
Calm down already. You make a joke about a colon and I can''t joke back?
Tell me those 2 pictures in my post aren't similar except your avatar looks like him about 15 years latter.