Re: The Good side of HarperMar 26th, 2009
Pierre Elliot Trudeau
- destroyed the Canadian military
- greatly decreased our influence in the world (see above)
- started us down the road to massive debt
- gave us martial law, after two kidnappings
- began the uniquely Canadian habit of rule by OIC....bypassing Parliament, whom he refered to as "those nobodies"
- began the centralization of all power in the PM's office, making the nation an elected five year dictatorship (see above)
- repatriated the Constitution as a sop to his own ego...bypassing Quebec (and thus setting in motion subsequent unrest, culminating in the creation of the BQ, the near loss of the country in 1995) and including (at the behest of the Premiers) the "notwithstanding" clause, completely undermining the Charter (as shown by Quebec's use of same)
- took lying in elections to new lows (see the Wage and Price control thing, 1974)
- won the distrust of our allies
And that is just to start....I haven't even gotten into the idiocy of the failed policy of nation-wide bilingualism and Nanny-state control
The man was dangerous.....he killed Canada as we knew it.