Excommunication for the mother of a 9 year old rape victim

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I read this and, although I know the Catholic Church opposes abortion, I'm shocked. A 9 year old Brazilian girl had an abortion, which in Brazil is only allowed in cases of rape or in cases where the mother's life is in danger. Her stepfather is the one who got her pregnant and is currently in jail. The church has excommunicated her mother and the doctors involved in the case. They defend their decision and say that what the mother did in getting her daughter an abortion is worse than what the stepfather did when he raped the child.

Vatican backs excommunication of Brazilian MDs over child's abortion | Sympatico / MSN News

Reactions: Kreskin

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
The Vatican and hierarchy are so out of touch with the lives of ordinary Catholics, it is laughable. Benny and boyz are taking the Church back through Vatican II all the way to the nineteenth century. Shame on the bishop, and shame on his bosses for this uncaring comment and decision.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Since the church believes the fetus is a person and was murdered, I'm not sure what the problem is. I think murder is worse than rape.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Since the church believes the fetus is a person and was murdered, I'm not sure what the problem is. I think murder is worse than rape.

The problem is a lack of compassion. Somewhat doubleplusunchurchlike!

Prior to the fall of communism, when the Catholic Church was much more influential in Poland than today, the abortion rate was high there as many women followed Church wishes on birth control. Then, the Church was largely silent. Politics, thy name is Christendom.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The excomunication was a good and proper call by the vatican now we just have to pray that they start excomunicating their priests instead of moving them to other areas pretending nothing happenned.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Life does begin at conception as so all unborn babies are a shoe-in for resumption of their lives once the time for that sort of thing arrives.
I could be wrong but didn't the RCC bring is some false teaching that said a baby has to be baptized (in one of their churches no doubt) before they are recognized bt Heaven. Judiasm has an anointing ceremony at about I month of age but it has nothing to do with recognition by God.

So while abortion can be a moral issue on earth I don't thing where there is any Scripture to support it cutting the child off from any coming promises. Seems like the RCC introduced something that creates more problem than it solves....again.

Rape or murder would be equally wrong, both were death sentences in the OT, info that suggests equality of how serious each is and not a recommendation for punishment these days.

The excomunication was a good and proper call by the vatican now we just have to pray that they start excomunicating their priests instead of moving them to other areas pretending nothing happenned.

That still releases them on an unsuspecting public, don't they have some sort of basement or island surrounded by hungry sharks they could put them in/on till they die since it is incurable. This could be another blunder by the RCC, nowhere does it say a male priest has to be not married or that women cannot act in the same authority as a man in teaching about Scripture. Just that last step would cure the problem of men seeking boys for sex. The women might have to castrate afew but that would hasten the desired goal, child safety.

Last edited:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Life does begin at conception as so all unborn babies are a shoe-in for resumption of their lives once the time for that sort of thing arrives.
I could be wrong but didn't the RCC bring is some false teaching that said a baby has to be baptized (in one of their churches no doubt) before they are recognized bt Heaven. Judiasm has an anointing ceremony at about I month of age but it has nothing to do with recognition by God.

So while abortion can be a moral issue on earth I don't thing there is any Scripture to support it cuts the child off from any coming promises. Seems like the RCC introduced something that creates more problem than it solves.
Many christians subscribe to the belief that if you are not baptized the doorway to Heaven is closed. And many of us do not. RCC's charge a fairly large fee for baptismal. They do allow children to be baptized in any other church and they confirm them when they are older, making them roman catholics. I don't have a lot of respect for the way they do many things in their church.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The Catholics love bastard children because they can all be saved. A woman has to protect their children from time of conception this is the Catholic way If the mother doesn't and savagely gets her baby ripped from her womb she has to be excommunicated this is how the church survived for thousands of years.
She can always leave the church and find another church that believes in abortion like the gay Catholics then she would not be thrown out of the church.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
RCC's charge a fairly large fee for baptismal. They do allow children to be baptized in any other church and they confirm them when they are older, making them roman catholics.
Well there you go, if you can find any ask them what verse that is backed-up by. There are two that might be applied. The really hard one to find is in the OT and it only confirms that a unborn who dies before drawing breath is still considered a person by God. The NT is much clearer, children are totally innocent until the age of accountability. That mark could be debated but the OT puts it at 20 years, the same age for a warrior to see his first battle. Even the dead have the Gospel preached to them so they are judged equally to men in the flesh. All that means is nobody gets toasted for good before they have had the Gospel preached to them. That also includes an invitation to join Him. The choice is made via your freewill and that alone.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
From what I understood about Catholicism, even murder isn't unforgivable. But, besides that, the doctors did this also because they feared for the girls life. A 9 year old body isn't ready to carry and give birth to twins.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The Catholics love bastard children because they can all be saved. A woman has to protect their children from time of conception this is the Catholic way If the mother doesn't and savagely gets her baby ripped from her womb she has to be excommunicated this is how the church survived for thousands of years.
She can always leave the church and find another church that believes in abortion like the gay Catholics then she would not be thrown out of the church.
How does a natural miscarriage fit into that.....custom.....
I would assume this info is sprung on the believer after they have joined the RCC.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
From what I understood about Catholicism, even murder isn't unforgivable. But, besides that, the doctors did this also because they feared for the girls life. A 9 year old body isn't ready to carry and give birth to twins.

I can believe that, it's odd that pregnancy can occur at such a young age isn't it?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I can believe that, it's odd that pregnancy can occur at such a young age isn't it?

I wouldn't call it odd since puberty hits girls that age. It's the rationale some less evolved men have for allowing them to marry that young. It's the only thing that saved her from the rapes continuing. Had she not become pregnant it's likely she would still be subjected to her stepfather's abuse right now.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Well that's news to me. It been many decades since I have asked my date what grade she was in. lol

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006

Actually, if they were really catholics and actually believed, they would know , that no, it is not. They are equal.

Still better than defiling the Eucharist by spitting out that lil cracker though.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

Tracy, of course murder isn’t unforgivable. How many innocent people did the Catholic Church kill during the Crusades, Inquisition and medieval witch burnings in Europe?

Anyway, this is the same Church which persecuted Galileo, which burned Giordano Bruno at the stake (for saying that earth goes around the Sun), killed literally hundreds of thousands of women by burning them as witches in medieval Europe (what happened during the Salem with trials in USA was a minor if melodramatic sideshow, the main action took place in Europe).

This is the same church which actively persecutes homosexuals even today (MHz, Bible does prescribe death penalty to homosexuals, better start your torrent of abuse, torrent of filth)). What can you expect of this lot?

This behavior is about par for the Catholic Church.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Oh, and don’t forget another of the basic tenets of Catholic Church (or indeed of Christianity in general), women are inferior to men, they are only subhuman. So if one woman is excommunicated, who cares? Certainly Catholic God doesn’t.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
But the murderer must acknowledge their sin and want forgiveness....I think. I'm not a Catholic.

Sure, but the same is true for using birth control. When was the last time you saw someone excommunicated for that? That's what I don't get. They are obviously willing to bend the rules sometimes, so why not this time? If this poor woman doesn't deserve compassion and forgiveness then who does?