Help enstate Tims Law (greyhound bus murder)

shrimpsey

Mar 6, 2009
A petition has been started to try and get the laws changed so that even if you are found mentally ill, you are still criminally responsible for the crime.

I am outraged because of how things are now, that Vince Li has the oppourtunity to be free, in 90days, and yearly after that. Please help and sign this petition to help make Tims law, where if you take a innocent life, regardless of mental state, you are still held criminally responsable, and if you are found not guilty by reasons of mental illness, then you remain in the care of a institution for the rest of your life, not allowed out free and clear with no record:angryfire:

Tims Law Petition : [ powered by iPetitions.com ]

Please forward this link to all the canadians you know that would like this changed.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Nonsense, if Li were convicted of second-degree murder, he would be eligible for parole after 10 years.

Li is mentally ill; it is very likely he will be institutionalized the rest of his life, let alone 10 years.

If we call ourselves a civilized nation, then instead of knee-jerk vengeance, we and the institutions acting in our name must be able to separate guilt of the sane from the rash and unreasoned acts of the ill - physically or mentally.

I for one would not sign this petition.

shrimpsey

Mar 6, 2009
Ya, the rest of his life eh, like the guy in alberta who murdered someone by stabbing them 27 times, was deemed mentally ill, and spent 3 years in a mental institutan,he IS now OUT, free and working in Edmonton, oh ya, with no criminal record either BTW, just like Li will be if he gets out. The prosecuter was already refuring to his illness in the past tense on teh news last night8O

shrimpsey

Mar 6, 2009
OH yes, just to add, if Li were convicted and sentenced to 2nd degree murder, he would serve his time, and then be deported when he was done according to canadian law, if an imagrant comits a criminal offence, they get kicked out after serving their sentance.

ETA - Re-read the first post, I am saying he should still be criminally responsible, with a CRIMINAL RECORD, and if deemed insane, then permanatly in a institution, not allowed a annual review to see if its ok for him to go free

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Nonsense, if Li were convicted of second-degree murder, he would be eligible for parole after 10 years.

Li is mentally ill; it is very likely he will be institutionalized the rest of his life, let alone 10 years.

If we call ourselves a civilized nation, then instead of knee-jerk vengeance, we and the institutions acting in our name must be able to separate guilt of the sane from the rash and unreasoned acts of the ill - physically or mentally.

I for one would not sign this petition.

I, for two, would not sign this petition.'

It is an ancient principle of English Common Law, going back 1,000 years, that the "mad" are not responsible. Even in Henry II's time, you could not execute an insane man.

and rightfully so.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
OH yes, just to add, if Li were convicted and sentenced to 2nd degree murder, he would serve his time, and then be deported when he was done according to canadian law, if an imagrant comits a criminal offence, they get kicked out after serving their sentance.

ETA - Re-read the first post, I am saying he should still be criminally responsible, with a CRIMINAL RECORD, and if deemed insane, then permanatly in a institution, not allowed a annual review to see if its ok for him to go free

I bet you didn't even go to school in Canada.

shrimpsey

Mar 6, 2009
Oh, also here is a quote from a news article about Li.

Investigators said friends described the former computer programmer who had immigrated to Canada in 2001 as having had mental problems since 2004, but said they never knew him to be violent.
Li was admitted to a mental hospital in 2005, where he was diagnosed with schizophrenia, according to court testimony.
Doctors identified his auditory hallucinations and offered him medication, but he declined treatment at the time.
"Unfortunately, he appears to have left the treatment facility without permission," the judge said.

Failure to treat his problem, IMO should make him accountable for the crime.

shrimpsey

Mar 6, 2009
LMAO, sorry, I was/am NAK(nursing at keyboard) so I tend to make typos then, not that a man would understand that.