Disrespected

xzander

Nov 5, 2008
I recently asked why a marriage fee was imposed so a couple could be married, and I was informed that " The fees charged reflect the service costs to provide marriage licenses to couples. ".
So then I asked why then is a license even needed, was it invented so you could charge a service fee. That was the end of our correspondence. But that is a sound question,
for where is the line drawn, whats next a license to have children, or breathe. Basic human
rights should not require a license, is this China. I find it disrespecful that the government
would put a fee on love and something that is spirtually correct. Even God only requires a
promise. And usally a license is needed to show a person is capable, but is that not the job
of our parents, who knows better than them. The governments interference in all things is
becoming very intrusive and the feeling of freedom is eroding. Some may say I'm making to big a deal and its a small price to pay, but love should be free and not taxed.
I know the government is always trying to find ways to pay their bills, because we all know
how competent they are. But to look upon marriage with greed is dispicable.
It is not the fee I resent but the fact that I need their permission, and that all they want is my money. Such a shame the beauty of marriage is disrespected by an obvious cash grab.
Where is the common sense, I was amazed when I realized I needed a license to marry my love, how could somebody accept that, am I to live common law, what right do they have to say I cannot marry. I do think it is a human right violation to charge for something that is morally correct.
I have never been part of a dictatorship society but I think I feel it coming.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Well if you think that's bad, try my situation where my girlfriend comes from Australia. Even if we get married, we still have to shell out a bitch load of money before anything can be "Official"

She's here on a visa at the moment, which was only for a year, she had to shell out a few grand just for that, her medical coverage here was minimal and still ends up having to pay out of her pocket for anything, even though she has travel insurance...... she has her second visa approved, but before it can be approved, she has to leave the country and then come back.... which plane tickets and finding a place to stay elsewhere cost more money of course, on top of the money she had to pay again to get this new visa.... and after two years of all this burocracy bullsh*t, she is finally permitted to apply for residence or even citizenship..... guess how much that will cost?

Even if we got married today, she'd still have to leave the country after this visa runs out, and she still wouldn't be covered for anything medical.... like say having a baby/starting a family. And she'd still have to pay a crap load of money to the government.... for what? So they can click a few keys on a keyboard to add her name to the data base?

And there's a crap load of other fees and costs that I can't even remember now, but it's certainly a load of money that could be used on better things.

But

Then if I decided to apply to head to Australia and work/live there, the fees are a hell of a lot less, the wait times are less, getting a job is easier, and if we apply for a spouse visa and get engaged in australia, I will have full medical coverage and I pretty well don't have to worry about leaving the country to renew anything..... if we get married, it's pretty much a done deal.

Oh and there's a sh*t load more work in my profession there as a hell of a lot more pay.

All in all, Canada sure as hell doesn't make it easy for anybody to start a family, one way or another. She was looking forward to living here and starting things, but the paperwork and fees are making that pretty well impossible..... so looks like in another year or so, I'll be leaving the country and living in Australia so I can actually have a life.

Oh well.... I live in Nova Scotia.... it's not like there's a hell of a lot here to leave behind anyways (Minus family of course)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It's a distraction to keep you from bringing up the expense(s) of getting un-married which are 100's of times more expensive even though no great party is thrown for anybody at the end.

xzander

Nov 5, 2008
Damn, guess I should be grateful, you really got the short stick.
But I am just sick of being nickeled and dimed for everything.
And I got to draw the line somewhere

Lithp

Electoral Member
Mar 16, 2005
Think of a marriage licence as sort of a system access fee :lol:

xzander

Nov 5, 2008
would one pay for a license to have a child, if it was argued that the fee was needed to off
set the doctor bill.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Oh and there's a sh*t load more work in my profession there as a hell of a lot more pay.

It's a good thing you took that sheep shearing course....Gives you something to fall back on...;-)

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Well if you think that's bad, try my situation where my girlfriend comes from Australia. Even if we get married, we still have to shell out a bitch load of money before anything can be "Official"

She's here on a visa at the moment, which was only for a year, she had to shell out a few grand just for that, her medical coverage here was minimal and still ends up having to pay out of her pocket for anything, even though she has travel insurance...... she has her second visa approved, but before it can be approved, she has to leave the country and then come back.... which plane tickets and finding a place to stay elsewhere cost more money of course, on top of the money she had to pay again to get this new visa.... and after two years of all this burocracy bullsh*t, she is finally permitted to apply for residence or even citizenship..... guess how much that will cost?

Even if we got married today, she'd still have to leave the country after this visa runs out, and she still wouldn't be covered for anything medical.... like say having a baby/starting a family. And she'd still have to pay a crap load of money to the government.... for what? So they can click a few keys on a keyboard to add her name to the data base?

And there's a crap load of other fees and costs that I can't even remember now, but it's certainly a load of money that could be used on better things.

But

Then if I decided to apply to head to Australia and work/live there, the fees are a hell of a lot less, the wait times are less, getting a job is easier, and if we apply for a spouse visa and get engaged in australia, I will have full medical coverage and I pretty well don't have to worry about leaving the country to renew anything..... if we get married, it's pretty much a done deal.

All in all, Canada sure as hell doesn't make it easy for anybody to start a family, one way or another. She was looking forward to living here and starting things, but the paperwork and fees are making that pretty well impossible..... so looks like in another year or so, I'll be leaving the country and living in Australia so I can actually have a life.

Oh well.... I live in Nova Scotia.... it's not like there's a hell of a lot here to leave behind anyways (Minus family of course)

You have my complete sympathy,
That Canada would treat you and your girlfriend ( or anybody) like that is utterly ridiculous.
It seems to me to be bordering on the insane.

Its common knowledge that the Canadian immigration system is one of the most screwed up on the planet.
It seems like they make it as difficult as possible for qualified people and yet convicted murderers who are in Canada illegally get to stay here and run rings around our legal system.

My own story consists of a local guy we were supposed to be training when we were on a project in South Asia.
He was lazy and had a lot of trouble absorbing the job.
Supposedly he had a masters in mechanical engineering.
We checked out his CV and it was faked.
At best he had a BSc from a backwater local college and that alone looked iffy.
He applied and was accepted as an immigrant to Canada.
He applied over the Internet, got a medical certificate from a village doctor, got a police certificate from the village cop and fired off copies of his bogus CV by mail.
In a few months he was interviewed over the phone.
He claimed he spoke far,far better English than the "Canadian" who interviewed him.
That I believe.
And boom he was in.
Quit his job with us...we were trying to punt him anyway and away to Canada he went.
And there is no doubt in my mind that he is sucking every dime and benefit out of the system that he can.

I pray Harper overhauls immigration from top to bottom.
At the very least we need to give the legitimate people a fair shake.

Trex

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Prax....please excuse my lack of knowledge on this subject, but I've a question for you. You said,
"...... she has her second visa approved, but before it can be approved, she has to leave the country
and then come back...."

Does she have to go all the way Australia and then back to Canada, or will a day trip to the USA in
the car, getting her passport stamped on the way out & then back suffice?

My Son married a Girl from Utah (got married in the USA) and they both live here in Canada, but I
know they're jumping through many hoops (not an inexpensive process) to obtain her Canadian
Citizenship. Thankfully they have guidance through the system that is shaving off time and saving
them some $$$ too. They're avoiding mistakes. I don't know much about the process myself.

I don't want to be accused of SPAM, but I can PM you the contact info for the guy walking them
through the system. Actually, there was just a news article about him and that should be cool to
post. Here: The Prince Albert Daily Herald: Business | Business serves immigrants

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Prax....please excuse my lack of knowledge on this subject, but I've a question for you. You said,
"...... she has her second visa approved, but before it can be approved, she has to leave the country
and then come back...."

Does she have to go all the way Australia and then back to Canada, or will a day trip to the USA in the car, getting her passport stamped on the way out & then back suffice?

As they say "You don't have to go home, but ya got to get the hell outta here."

So long as she leaves the country and comes back with a stamp in her passport saying she entered again, she's good to go. She could head 30+ hours back to Australia, head to Maine, head to London or that wee little french island off of Newfoundland if she liked, it wouldn't matter to the guys at the airport.

The problem is the cheapest way to do it is to head to London accross the pond.... a flight and stay is cheaper in London UK, then it is to fly and stay in Toronto from here (How screwed up is that?)

We looked at Maine, but on top of her Visa bills, she'd have to also apply for a US Visa to enter their country.

And St Pierre is just about as expensive, and flying to London is still cheaper.... just longer.

However, my father said that if you take a ferry to Newfoundland and then fly from Newfoundland to St Pierre, you save a crap load of money....... talk about a farce eh?

My Son married a Girl from Utah (got married in the USA) and they both live here in Canada, but I know they're jumping through many hoops (not an inexpensive process) to obtain her Canadian Citizenship. Thankfully they have guidance through the system that is shaving off time and saving them some $$$ too. They're avoiding mistakes. I don't know much about the process myself.

Well with my girlfriend, she's been working as a dental assistant back in Australia for 10 years or so.... but she never got a degree or diploma in the field, just a certificate..... but that wasn't good enough for a working visa and the only thing she could get to stay here for a period of time was a work-holiday visa, which has a crap load of restrictions, etc.

I don't want to be accused of SPAM, but I can PM you the contact info for the guy walking them through the system. Actually, there was just a news article about him and that should be cool to post. Here: The Prince Albert Daily Herald: Business | Business serves immigrants

I'll check it out when I get home later today... thanks.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
You have my complete sympathy,
That Canada would treat you and your girlfriend ( or anybody) like that is utterly ridiculous.
It seems to me to be bordering on the insane.

Its common knowledge that the Canadian immigration system is one of the most screwed up on the planet.
It seems like they make it as difficult as possible for qualified people and yet convicted murderers who are in Canada illegally get to stay here and run rings around our legal system.

My own story consists of a local guy we were supposed to be training when we were on a project in South Asia.
He was lazy and had a lot of trouble absorbing the job.
Supposedly he had a masters in mechanical engineering.
We checked out his CV and it was faked.
At best he had a BSc from a backwater local college and that alone looked iffy.
He applied and was accepted as an immigrant to Canada.
He applied over the Internet, got a medical certificate from a village doctor, got a police certificate from the village cop and fired off copies of his bogus CV by mail.
In a few months he was interviewed over the phone.
He claimed he spoke far,far better English than the "Canadian" who interviewed him.
That I believe.
And boom he was in.
Quit his job with us...we were trying to punt him anyway and away to Canada he went.
And there is no doubt in my mind that he is sucking every dime and benefit out of the system that he can.

I pray Harper overhauls immigration from top to bottom.
At the very least we need to give the legitimate people a fair shake.

Trex

We hear so many of these crime stories about creative motivated system abusing job stealing immigrants. Sounds like they're overrunning the country, again. Pray to Harper! Jesus man do you know what demons from the pits of neo-con hell that'll draw? I hope you have asbestos undies.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
would one pay for a license to have a child, if it was argued that the fee was needed to off
set the doctor bill.

For a marriage license, the gov is checking to make sure you're not related, and that you're both actually legally able to get married. Thus, they are in a way granting you license to breed. They are setting up the 'account' under which they will register future children.

I can't help but ask, if a government had no idea who their citizens were, where they were at, or what their needs and priorities in life were, would this make them a better government? Or would hiding the cost of marriage licensing in your taxes be better?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
For a marriage license, the gov is checking to make sure you're not related, and that you're both actually legally able to get married. Thus, they are in a way granting you license to breed. They are setting up the 'account' under which they will register future children.

I can't help but ask, if a government had no idea who their citizens were, where they were at, or what their needs and priorities in life were, would this make them a better government? Or would hiding the cost of marriage licensing in your taxes be better?

For most...it appears hidden taxes don't bother then at all. The GST is a prime example. The government gt rid of a hidden tax of 9 - 12 percent on manufactured goods and replaced it with the 7 percent GST( which is now 5%) Nobody bitched about the manufacturing tax.... but they sure as hell bitch about the GST.

xzander

Nov 5, 2008
the government gives the first birth certificate free, the first sin card free, for these are important documents, so should be the marriage license if it is required by law, but the problem is that I
do not think one should need the governments permission to marry, I have our parents ok,
but if a license is needed than yes I'll pay a hidden tax so that all Canadians can marry when so desired.
The promplem with the world is morals and values are not very important, for to be charged for something that is required by God to start a family properly is a shame.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
the government gives the first birth certificate free, the first sin card free, for these are important documents, so should be the marriage license if it is required by law, but the problem is that I
do not think one should need the governments permission to marry, I have our parents ok,
but if a license is needed than yes I'll pay a hidden tax so that all Canadians can marry when so desired.
The promplem with the world is morals and values are not very important, for to be charged for something that is required by God to start a family properly is a shame.

Live together for 1 years and it's considered a common law marriage...or...... a couple are parents of child by birth or adoption...... no license required and you still have all the benefits and obligations.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
The government is the upper management of a corporation called Canada. They grow and manage us and we produce for them. We are their revenue stream and such "service fees" are one way they collect from us. Like plump fat little aphids they more us around from leaf to leaf and squeeze us when they want money. There is a law against profiting from service fees but as you would expect, the government ignores it.