WTF is black and orange day?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Okay, now that the sensitivity police are taking away Christmas they are now focusing on Halloween.:roll:

Read a column about it here.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Religious persecution and suppression... only okay when you believe you're 'right'. When anyone else does it, it's wrong.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I call it the fun police.

Both the left and right have them, in this case it's the left....or is it?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I call it the fun police.

Both the left and right have them, in this case it's the left....or is it?

It's not necessarily the left no... there are some right wing religious zealots that think Halloween is evil and should be put to rest.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
"In fact, some schools in Toronto and elsewhere now refer to Halloween as “Black and Orange Day,” fearing the H-word itself will be as potentially offensive to certain groups as Christmas may be for some non-Christians."

When did "hall" become offensive?

This PC nonsense is getting ridiculous.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
It's not necessarily the left no... there are some right wing religious zealots that think Halloween is evil and should be put to rest.

I know.

The thing is, in most cases it's perceived, in general nobody complains about it it's some nut on some council who arbitrarily decides that people are offended when it reality the are not.

.....and we vote for these idiots.:-?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:read2:Actually, children; Halloween was started by the Hallowed-ween Weiner Co. in 1847, to give all the people in the world a chance to eat a weiner.

In those days of yore-mama, the 'Great Pumpkin' would circle the earth givin people the weiner., passing them hand to mouth, or just generally throwin them atcha.....

Some liked it. Some did not. As in all things.

Hence, (probably) the saying..........."eat my weiner"
Or.........He/She's a real weiner.

Later on, Oscar Myer got in on the act with his "I'd like to be an Oscar Myer Weiner", only to realize later, that he was.

Unfortunately, giving out the weiner has morphed into a gradual unhallowedness with the passing out of candies, apples with razorblades, and general s h i t, all under the guise of celebratin Hallowedwein.........er black and orange day.

goddamint!

Another beautiful tradition down the tubes.

:-:)read2:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I couldn't believe it when I heard this yesterday. As far as I know Halloween has nothing to do with religion so who the hell are we offending??? And if it does who cares??? Its unbelievable that they pay someone to think up this crap. If people don't like the traditions we have been doing in this country (or others) for years and years, they can pack up their bags and go back to the miserable countries they came from....

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I couldn't believe it when I heard this yesterday. As far as I know Halloween has nothing to do with religion so who the hell are we offending??? And if it does who cares??? Its unbelievable that they pay someone to think up this crap. If people don't like the traditions we have been doing in this country (or others) for years and years, they can pack up their bags and go back to the miserable countries they came from....

Risus, I agree with you completely!!! I even started a thread today to get the conversation
going about what you have just said.
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/qu-bec/78766-reminding-immigrants-our-great-expectations.html

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Halloween is a Pagan tradition.

From wikipedia:

Halloween has its origins in the ancient Celtic festival known as Samhain (Irish pronunciation: [ˈsˠaunʲ]; from the Old Irish samain).[1] The festival of Samhain is a celebration of the end of the harvest season in Gaelic culture, and is sometimes[2] regarded as the "Celtic New Year."[3] Traditionally, the festival was a time used by the ancient Celtic pagans to take stock of supplies and slaughter livestock for winter stores. The ancient Gaels believed that on October 31, now known as Halloween, the boundary between the alive and the deceased dissolved, and the dead become dangerous for the living by causing problems such as sickness or damaged crops. The festivals would frequently involve bonfires, into which bones of slaughtered livestock were thrown. Costumes and masks were also worn at the festivals in an attempt to mimic the evil spirits or placate them.[4][5]

Nothing Pagan there...