Who's better: David Bowie or Bruce Springsteen?

Quote: Originally Posted by ThorndogView Post

This question is kind of like asking:; Who do you like better:
Ken or Barbie
James Bond or Sly Stallone in Rambo
Churchill or Gerald Ford
U2 or Meatloaf
I mean Springsteen may have sold a lot of records but.... Born in the U S A a a ay thunk thunk a thud thud, Born in the U S A I wuz etc, well you catch my drift I hope. The appeal is a little different.
Bowie is unquestionably sophisticated whereas Springsteen is entertaining when at his best and appeals to the lowest common order when at his most popular and worst.
I never had much trouble interpreting a Springsteen song.

Based on what you've read, I don't think you understand most of Springsteen's music. Born in the USA was probably the low point of his music, although it sold like heck.

Incidentally, what do YOU think the song 'Born in the USA' is about?
Not that I like either one of these musicians, but I'd take Springsteen over Bowie. Simply because he's more of a rocker than Bowie. Springsteen gets down to the roots of music, down to the primal area where we all venture at one time or another. Not as primal as say Slipknot or Rage Against The Machine, but certainly more in your face than Bowie. That's my personal take anyway. I could never get into Bowie's androdgynous presentation. His music spawned the likes of Soft Cell, Duran Duran and other limp-wristed artists that led to the pussification of men around the world. Stevie Ray Vaughn told Bowie where to shove it when Bowie thought he could buy SRV with gold and trinkets. Stevie played on Bowie's China Girl but Stevie knew he was destined for better things than hanging with old porcelain face.
Give me a solid guitar with a thumping kick drum anyday over this over-synthesized schmaultz you hear on the radio today. No wonder I listen to talk radio so much....no inspiration baby.
Bowie, even if he's kind of faggy.
The Boss just for "Born to Run"
The screen door slams, Mary's dress waves.
Like a vision, she dances across the porch as the radio plays.
Roy Orbison, singin' for the lonely...Hey, it's me and I want you only
Don't turn me home again, I just can't face myself alone again.
Don't run back inside darling, you know just what I'm here for.
So you're scared, and you're thinking that maybe we aint that young anymore
Show a little faith, there's magic in the night
You aint a beauty, but hey, you're alright.....
David Bowie (external - login to view).....watch the whole video.
Quote: Originally Posted by AvroView Post

David Bowie (external - login to view).....watch the whole video.