Getting rid of wasps

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Well, it's that time of year again - the wasps are out in full force.

This year, they've taken up residence under neath my back porch. I've been reluctant to take any steps to get rid of them, as I was hoping I could find some way to do it without killing them.

I've found a site that says wasps are extremely territorial - so if there's another nest anywhere near theirs, they will simply leave and never return.

Apparently Canadian Tire sells fake wasp nests for this exact purpose so I'm going to get a couple and try it out.

If it doesn't work, I'll be looking for other suggestions - problem is, the nest is directly under my back porch, which is right near my kitchen window and my patio door - a high traffic area for us in the summer - so I'm a bit adverse to using anything toxic or flammable.

Hopefully the fake nests do the trick.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Well LW - the nest is unreachable - I've a gap between the bottom of my porch and the ground - big enough for them to get in, but not big enough for us to get at the nest.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
There are all kinds of wasps. Some are territorial some are pretty happy go lucky. Yellow jackets are the worst I know of but even they're OK if you don't bother them.

My grandfather used to raise bees and he showed me a trick. If you ever have bees, wasps or hornets after you remember that they only see your movement not "you" the creature. If you duck under a bush or shake a tree branch they will sting that instead and you can sneak away. I did this once when I had a whole hive after me and it worked; no stings.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:cool:.......aww Zan, your faith in wasp nature exceeds all expectations, human nature also.

Should you ever be stung by a "wasp", and an allergic reaction set in, you will have only minutes to react.

One of our grandaughters is wasp/bee/allergic, so we keep a supply of benadryl on hand. Today we had to use it, as she was helping us unload a van full of furniture and put her hand on a bee. Owww.......................she took the pill and was ok within minutes..............

Kill them!!!!

You can buy a wasp spray which you use after dark, when the little bastards are in bed. Spray the house thoroughly, and they will all die. Also works on yellow jackets, et al.

Or, don't................yer choice.

:cool:

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
There are all kinds of wasps. Some are territorial some are pretty happy go lucky. Yellow jackets are the worst I know of but even they're OK if you don't bother them.

My grandfather used to raise bees and he showed me a trick. If you ever have bees, wasps or hornets after you remember that they only see your movement not "you" the creature. If you duck under a bush or shake a tree branch they will sting that instead and you can sneak away.

Oh great - how do I know if I've got the happy ones or the nasty ones? :lol: I can say that they haven't stung us at all - they come out to investigate when we come out of the house, but all they seem to do is reconnaissance missions, letting us know that they're keeping an eye on us.... but they don't swarm us or act aggressively towards us like some wasps I've seen.

I'd like to deal with them soon tho because once the fruit starts ripening up on the trees around here, they get drunk on the fermenting fruit and that's when they become dangerous, I find.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Try the fake nests - but I'm doubtful. There's no movement and a real nest doesn't smell like plastic. I have heard something about ultrasonics - but know absolutely nothing about them

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
awww Nugg - hope your grand daughter is ok. I've been stung enough times by bees and wasps to know I'm not allergic, so that's not a concern. Spraying toxins so close to my house when it's too hot to have the windows closed.... that is a concern tho... but I will kill them if I have to.

I'd like to try to do it the nice way first if I can tho. I know, I know, I'm such a wuss - I try not to kill anything (except flies and mosquitoes) unless I have to. I try to do that live and let live thang... unless it comes down to a "me or them" situation - then the gloves come off. :lol:

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Oh great - how do I know if I've got the happy ones or the nasty ones? :lol: I can say that they haven't stung us at all - they come out to investigate when we come out of the house, but all they seem to do is reconnaissance missions, letting us know that they're keeping an eye on us.... but they don't swarm us or act aggressively towards us like some wasps I've seen.

I'd like to deal with them soon tho because once the fruit starts ripening up on the trees around here, they get drunk on the fermenting fruit and that's when they become dangerous, I find.

The happy ones won't sting you even if you bother them (a little).

If you have fruit trees try hanging wasp traps in them. They are very cheap and you can find them at Dollar Dollar (if you have that store). They are just a glass ball that you pour sugar water into. The wasps can get in but they can't get out. It's better than pesticide anyway.

But why start a war before you've even been stung? It doesn't hurt that much being stung does it? Why not let them fire the first shot; you never know, maybe they won't bother you?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:fart:Fart on them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jihad!!!!!!!!!!!!!:blob6::blob6:infidel wasps/bees/yellowjackets/christians

Kill Kill Kill:blackeye::violent3::violent3:

Or don't

Try and reason with them:love6:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
awww Nugg - hope your grand daughter is ok. I've been stung enough times by bees and wasps to know I'm not allergic, so that's not a concern. Spraying toxins so close to my house when it's too hot to have the windows closed.... that is a concern tho... but I will kill them if I have to.

I'd like to try to do it the nice way first if I can tho. I know, I know, I'm such a wuss - I try not to kill anything (except flies and mosquitoes) unless I have to. I try to do that live and let live thang... unless it comes down to a "me or them" situation - then the gloves come off. :lol:

Oh stop.:roll:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
The happy ones won't sting you even if you bother them (a little).

If you have fruit trees try hanging wasp traps in them. They are very cheap and you can find them at Dollar Dollar (if you have that store). They are just a glass ball that you pour sugar water into. The wasps can get in but they can't get out. It's better than pesticide anyway.

But why start a war before you've even been stung? It doesn't hurt that much being stung does it? Why not let them fire the first shot; you never know, maybe they won't bother you?

Screw you , scott, it hurts like a son of a bitch!!!

Premptive strike..........................they have MMD.............ioll , woops ill , soo[s,,,,,,,,,,,kill......there, thats the work...........word ,........dill.........****........ik98l........damn.............KILL.........WHES.........SORRY.........WHEW..........GOT TI

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
:fart:Fart on them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jihad!!!!!!!!!!!!!:blob6::blob6:infidel wasps/bees/yellowjackets/christians

Kill Kill Kill:blackeye::violent3::violent3:

Or don't

Try and reason with them:love6:

lol

There must be rules against this under the Bee-neva convention?

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Screw you , scott, it hurts like a son of a bitch!!!

Premptive strike..........................they have MMD.............ioll , woops ill , soo[s,,,,,,,,,,,kill......there, thats the work...........word ,........dill.........****........ik98l........damn.............KILL.........WHES.........SORRY.........WHEW..........GOT TI

Really? I grew up around fruit trees and bee hives so maybe I just got used to it?

I never bother wasps or bees. If they get in my house I just shoo them out. They are easy to herd actually :) Sounds funny but it works. You use a towel and open a door. You can shoo them right out. Works on flies too. I found out about it because it's what they do in China. It works very well.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:lol::lol:gOOD ONE, Scott:

Beeeneva..................lol

You don't kill wasps or yellowjackets by spraying all over the place. You find the nest, wait till dark, take a flashlight, go to the nest, and, using the "wasp" spray, which is like a squirt gun thingy, in that it doesn't act like Raid with a big vapour thing, you aim at the nest, and squirt............keep it up till the last little **** falls out of the house and dies............that's it. no more problems.........easy...........

If your conscience bothers you, think of the allergic kids whose lives you have potentially saved, or , go down to Timmies and have a coffee............and a donut.........like a cop.

easy.........................:cool:

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Try the fake nests - but I'm doubtful. There's no movement and a real nest doesn't smell like plastic. I have heard something about ultrasonics - but know absolutely nothing about them

This is what I read about the fake nests from someone looking to get rid of her wasps:

A few weekends ago, we were chatting with our neighbor and we asked her what she had hanging by her house. It turns out they had a pretend wasp nest. She told us that wasps are very territorial and as soon as they see anything resembling another wasp nest, they will just leave and won't go anywhere near it to investigate.

So off to Canadian Tire (our local hardware store) we went and sure enough, by the insect repellant, they had a package of two wasp nests for $9. We got them home and put one up near our eating area and one near where we sit on our deck. We haven't seen a wasp since - not one. The bees have still been in the yard, they don't seem to be bothered by it so that is a good thing.
http://www.landryslaundry.com/2008/06/how-to-get-rid-of-wasps.html

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
:lol::lol:gOOD ONE, Scott:

Beeeneva..................lol

You don't kill wasps or yellowjackets by spraying all over the place. You find the nest, wait till dark, take a flashlight, go to the nest, and, using the "wasp" spray, which is like a squirt gun thingy, in that it doesn't act like Raid with a big vapour thing, you aim at the nest, and squirt............keep it up till the last little **** falls out of the house and dies............that's it. no more problems.........easy...........

If your conscience bothers you, think of the allergic kids whose lives you have potentially saved, or , go down to Timmies and have a coffee............and a donut.........like a cop.

easy.........................:cool:

So your basically talking about making a surprise attack with a chemical weapon of mass destruction with the intended goal of killing them all!!!! No negotiations, no dialogue, just genocide them?

Wow, that's brutal! 8O

:lol: