I need suggestions for charity work

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
Since I have no family and no network, I decided to simply "do it myself." I came up with three ideas that touched my heart for charities.

First, I am supplying books to the elderly in nursing homes thanks to a local bookstore. I am only able to do 2, but that was my goal. This is completed for the time being.

Second, I want to get donations from Walmart to put flowers on forgotten graveyards.
My paperwork is done, and I simply need to deliver it.

Third, I want to get 20 pet beds for nursing mother dogs and cats to put in our 2 local shelters.

Do you have any ideas for small charitable projects like these? It must be something that only one person can do. I do live in the Dallas area, but I live in a far-out suburb - so keep that in mind. Thank you.

Uncle

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What about something that doesn't require money? Sometimes giving your time matters more than anything. For example, committing to go visiting at a nearby senior center.

quandary121

Time Out
Apr 20, 2008
lincolnshire
uk.youtube.com
Visit someone who is in hospital who don't get any visitors.they would appreciate your talking to them and maybe a gift, who knows their are lots of ways to help if you have a mind too, well done i applaud your sincerity and hope that you too gain something from the experience ..

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Well, it's not much, but I cut my hair this week and donated it to a cancer charity to make whigs. Had to be at least 8" long. I had more than enough to spare. Got plenty of compliments since I cut my hair too. A win-win. Although there was this cougar, that, well, eww.....

Reactions: karrie

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Well, it's not much, but I cut my hair this week and donated it to a cancer charity to make whigs. Had to be at least 8" long. I had more than enough to spare. Got plenty of compliments since I cut my hair too. A win-win. Although there was this cougar, that, well, eww.....
Were you a stand-in for Fabio? I couldn't grow 8 inches of hair if my life depended on it.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Were you a stand-in for Fabio? I couldn't grow 8 inches of hair if my life depended on it.

Nah, I'm not a blonde ;)

There was eight inches that she rough cut, about two inches cut off with a comb/scissor/shaver combo, and about two left on top. At least 12 inches of hair when it was cut. Mind you I only had my hair cut three times in the past twelve months ;)

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
Oh, they have trucks that come by and pick up clothing, small appliances, etc. for the Kidney Foundation, The Leukemia Society, SPCA, etc. - I do that as often as I can. My daughter chips in, and I have 3 bags for the Leukemia Group ready for 8-15-08 pickup.

Uncle

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
Something came up

Today my husband was told that his lung cancer has come back. He is going back to chemo on Tues. While there, I noticed there was not ONE book or material to read.

So, now I have purchased 2 book cases and will be hitting up the bookstore for more paperbacks to fill them. One for the waiting room, and one for the chemo room. We will be going 4 days a week for the next four months.

I am so depressed. I don't feel able to go through this again, by myself. We can't afford another $300,000 bout with cancer. And I'm sure my husband is even more upset. :-(

Uncle

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I am very sorry to hear that UnclePercy. My thoughts are with both of you.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Donate books, magazines, and newspapers to any local library or Salvation Army. I have donated thousands over the years.
I've given lots of books to the local library, but they are not accepting any more at this time. I have a lot more to give...

Last edited:

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
I've given lots of books to the local library, but they are not accepting any more at this time. I have a lot more to give...

Well, Risus, please donate them to a nursing home or a hospital waiting room. Build or buy
the bookshelf. Get permission of course, and do all the work yourself. That way, whoever you are dealing with isn't put to much trouble.

Uncle

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I am so depressed. I don't feel able to go through this again, by myself. We can't afford another $300,000 bout with cancer. And I'm sure my husband is even more upset. :-(

Uncle
Unc,
I'm sorry to hear this.
This is such a beotch of a disease - I know of so many people recently who are battling with it. Many have had great success - two are currently on their second bout with it also, and they've both had much better success with their treatments than was expected.
Keep the faith and take care.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Whenever I'm out doing funerals for Marine Veterans, we are always there an hour prior. I spend that time looking at headstones and what not. I've developed a habit of finding people that obviously died as infants, or toddlers, and since i live in New Jersey now, some of the graves tend to be older than you would find as you move towards the mid west and west...so while they may have been toddlers when they died, they'd be 90, 100, or even long dead now, had they lived.

At any rate, if the grave looks neglected, I always try to pick the weeds away, and pilfer a few flowers from nearby graves, and lay them there. I feel like I'm doing a good thing, and it is such an easy thing to do. It costs nothing, so I dont know if it could be considered charity, but it isn't a bad way to spend an afternoon, and if you have the imagination I do, you can waste an entire day doing it.

My apologies to all who didn't think evil rednecks like me had these thoughts..I still disagree with 100% of everything you say, if it puts the universe back in order for you...:smile:

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
So sorry to hear that Uncle, I wish you the best

Thomaska, when have you done your country enough?

Never...but I'm not hijacking Uncle's thread to talk about me.

Personally, as far as charity goes, I give $250 a year to programs that care for babies who were born premature, and $250 to a charity that helps the children of police officers killed in the line of duty.

Those would be my suggestions Uncle.