Anyone know Alberta rules for tree removal?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
So, there is this huge poplar tree in my father's neighbour's yard. Half of the tree hangs over Dad's house, and he's worried that some of these storms that blow through Southern Alberta might break some of the larger limbs off, and then fall onto his roof. Now, the house next door sits vacant, nobodies in there any longer, but I think the owner of the property lives nearby somewhere. Any ideas?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I believe you're allowed to shear off anything that hangs over your fence.

Phone your municipality though. They may have different rules. But, I've seen it happen lots, where people will just cut off anything infringing on their property line.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Burn the house, kill the inhabitants, pillage and ra..........oh, sorry, wrong forum.:pirate:

.Check with the "township?" office. If it's a vacant house, they might know who owns it and maybe the owners will have it cut.

Failing that, if you know a good tree guy, have him go in and cut off the overhang.

Lots of insurance ramifications here, so maybe the township thing is the way to go; long as they don't want to have an environmental impact study done first. If they're anything like our local bureaucrats, you should get an answer in a year or so.

Hope this helps

:evil4:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
On another note... most municipalities will now take any and every opportunity possible to remove a large poplar. I don't think we're even supposed to plant them anymore here due to basement damage, sewer lines, etc.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Older Poplars are particularly dangerous because branches do tend to snap of in a wind. I once owned a house with three old poplars on the lot. I can tell you that I would have saved myself a fair chunk of money if I'd cut the three of them down when I moved in.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Thanks for the responses folks. I think my father already had a plan, but he works past the hours for the town office. I thought that would be my best bet. Another wet day, so no work for me, want to do something productive ;)

I actually worked for a tree trimming company when I was 16, and my father has plenty of experience working with trees around power lines, so I just wanted to ask around for best bets. Thanks again all :D

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Thanks for the responses folks. I think my father already had a plan, but he works past the hours for the town office. I thought that would be my best bet. Another wet day, so no work for me, want to do something productive ;)

I actually worked for a tree trimming company when I was 16, and my father has plenty of experience working with trees around power lines, so I just wanted to ask around for best bets. Thanks again all :D

I would recommend contacting the resident first if at all possible, because, as you probably know if you worked in tree trimming, if you sheer off the branches on your half, the imbalance could possibly bring the tree down, which could mean serious damage to their property. I'm betting if you explain that you're going to do it, and that it risks falling because of it, they'll take it down on their own.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I would recommend contacting the resident first if at all possible, because, as you probably know if you worked in tree trimming, if you sheer off the branches on your half, the imbalance could possibly bring the tree down, which could mean serious damage to their property. I'm betting if you explain that you're going to do it, and that it risks falling because of it, they'll take it down on their own.

I don't know who owns the place or where this person lives, but I think my father does. Just wanted to make sure all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed. I know how to remove trees, not so much when it comes to the paper work.

The predominant wind here is out of the West, which would push it towards the neighbours lot, but even a strong gust could bring it back on the snap. And the last few days the winds been coming from the Easterly direction, which would push it right onto this house. Actually found a medium sized limb on the lawn this morning, which got me to thinking...I know what I'd like to do :lol:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
well then yeah... if you cut the branches from your side, you'll likely bring it down on his lot. 8O

I'd suggest, given that risk, you ensure you call the town today and make sure there's no rule against you cutting the branches from your side.... before you risk damaging his property and having to pay for it. lol.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Heh, no I wouldn't do that. I'd like to take the whole thing down :D

But best to talk to the town and owner first. Can't be too hard to find, there's less than 500 people here, lol. Might check out the pub.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Some people can be funny about their trees. I know we didn't want our big old poplars down. We would have taken them down if they put anyone else's houses at risk though. But, just for our house, they were staying.

Now we're sticking with fruit trees though, so, we shouldn't have those sorts of issues.