organ donation....

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Your child dies tragically in an accident. In the hospital emergency room, the doctors inform you that donating her organs could save the life of another child who has just been brought in.

...I'd donate the necessary organs.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Nope. If they didn't request it then I won't do it, based on my own personal beliefs... and before someone complains about how evil I am on forcing my decision on something you might think my child would want, you're doing the exact same thing when you decide to donate without knowing your child's wishes.... perhaps even worse.

Regardless of what kind of afterlife you think there is, or if there isn't any to begin with, that's your choice. As for myself, in as little words as possible, I have a belief that parts of your body living after your conciousness is gone will disturb this process of transition, and thus, possibly bringing more suffering to your lost child being stuck in limbo until you are completely dead.

And to me it doesn't matter if someone else's blood is making it live, it was created within yourself and was a part of you your entire life.... and is just as much a part of you as your mind as it all works in equal form.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Donate. I am a donor, so is everyone in my family as far as I know. My aunt is alive today thanks to a kidney transplant so it makes the decision a bit of a no brainer for us.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'd donate their organs. Personally, I won't have a child die in the here and now over the possibilities of then and there Prax.

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
I would too, my brother is a liver recipient and my sister in law was a kidney recipient. In fact my sister in law was the longest surviving hemodialysis patient in north america before her death, she was 16 when she started and she passed at the age of 53 she went through around 40 fistula replacement surgeries over the span of her treatment. She was a fighter.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I would too, my brother is a liver recipient and my sister in law was a kidney recipient. In fact my sister in law was the longest surviving hemodialysis patient in north america before her death, she was 16 when she started and she passed at the age of 53 she went through around 40 fistula replacement surgeries over the span of her treatment. She was a fighter.

my uncle was a kidney recipient, and one of my mom's good friends was a lung and heart recipient. I can't even begin to express how intense the joy and appreciation are in people who have thought their loved ones were lost to them, only to find them returned. Incredible.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I'd donate their organs. Personally, I won't have a child die in the here and now over the possibilities of then and there Prax.

Well you can do what you want, I'll do what I want in life and what I believe is right. Seems to be plenty of donnors on the forums here, I don't think one person will matter.... even though I have the most adaptable blood type available and I'm fit as a fiddle *hacks up a lung from smoking*

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Would you donate your organs if you died? I not going to give up anything til i'm dead, they can have whatever they can salvage.

I'm gonna try and lose enough weight to donate half my ass to burn victims.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Because my late wife was a donor,4 people are alive today who otherwise wouldn't be. It's perhaps the only way one can live on after the natural demise of the donor.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Yes.

My brother works for Trillium in Ontario.....they do the matching, transport, care of donated organs.....they just can not get enough (listening Praxius?).

The new move is proactive.....organs to be taken unless the prospective donor has taken the time to express his wish they not be taken.

Opinions?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I don't agree with the negative permission. Anyone ever see Soylent Green?. Course if it comes to that , we'll have no choice.

Personally, I've signed my card.

Please don't bury me
Down in that cold cold ground
No, I'd druther have "em" cut me up
And pass me all around
Throw my brain in a hurricane
And the blind can have my eyes
And the deaf can take both of my ears
If they don't mind the size
Give my stomach to Milwaukee
If they run out of beer
Put my socks in a cedar box
Just get "em" out of here
Venus de Milo can have my arms
Look out! I've got your nose
Sell my heart to the junkman
And give my love to Rose

Give my feet to the footloose
Careless, fancy free
Give my knees to the needy
Don't pull that stuff on me
Hand me down my walking cane
It's a sin to tell a lie
Send my mouth way down south
And kiss my ass goodbye

"full credit and thanks to John Prine"

;-)

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I don't agree with the negative permission. Anyone ever see Soylent Green?. Course if it comes to that , we'll have no choice.

Personally, I've signed my card.

Please don't bury me
Down in that cold cold ground
No, I'd druther have "em" cut me up
And pass me all around
Throw my brain in a hurricane
And the blind can have my eyes
And the deaf can take both of my ears
If they don't mind the size
Give my stomach to Milwaukee
If they run out of beer
Put my socks in a cedar box
Just get "em" out of here
Venus de Milo can have my arms
Look out! I've got your nose
Sell my heart to the junkman
And give my love to Rose

Give my feet to the footloose
Careless, fancy free
Give my knees to the needy
Don't pull that stuff on me
Hand me down my walking cane
It's a sin to tell a lie
Send my mouth way down south
And kiss my ass goodbye

"full credit and thanks to John Prine"

;-)

For some reason legalities are always involved in this.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The new move is proactive.....organs to be taken unless the prospective donor has taken the time to express his wish they not be taken.

Opinions?

I am an advocate for organ donation, but, I think that's wrong. Given the broad differences in religious ideas, it should never be assumed that you can go ahead and carve a person up for parts unless they or their family have said YES. The onus shouldn't be on them to have to carry a NO with them at all times.