'Boretard'...A survivors story...

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Little 'Boretard' aka, 'Bo', 'Goldfish', 'Catfish, 'Darth Bobo', 'Velcro' and 'Meat head'.

The second of two cats rescued from SCB's old place of employment. The least likely to survive.

Crushed by a 1000lb bale of cardboard.

I absolutely hate cats, lets make that fact perfectly clear.

But I hate suffering animals more, and SCB knows that and uses it against me so often when it comes to lil critters.

Somehow, lil 'Boretard' managed to get himself under a bale of cardboard. Once discovered, all machines were shut down and the rescue efforts of a plant of recycling workers went into emergency mode.

A forklift was brought in, to do the heavy lifting, while one of SCB's employees risked limb to reach under and snatch the little puff of fur from certain doom.

He was gingerly placed in a box, complete with one of SCB's sweaters and lauded the attention of a new born baby. Not knowing what to do, I was text'd and begged for help. As I have a history of saving little critters or having to do the unpleasant deed of ending the suffering.

Let me reiterate certain facts here...I hate cats.

I dropped what I was doing and made way to the scene of the emergency.

Upon arriving I assessed that the kitten was on deaths door. Unfortunately, he was so damned cute, that had I taken the quick and easy route to ending his suffering, I would have likely been lynched, or at the very least, not gotten laid again until Jesus came back.

I gave him the medics once over and determined that he had crushed all of the ribs on one side and that one of his lungs had either been punctured or had collapsed.

Financially at that point, we could not afford the cost of such an expensive operation, for a feral cat. So I tended to him as best I could.

I prepared everyone for the inevitable. He likely wouldn't survive the night...the next day...the week...the month...oh **** it, I just gave up counting him out!!!

I then gave him the chances of growing to a normal size limited possibilities. Let alone being able to live a normal life in a house with a wily dog and another domesticated feral cat.

This little bastard just had to prove me wrong at every turn.

8 months on now and he's a good size, he gives the 'Daisey', a Bull Dog Red Heeler cross, a run for her money and is every bit as energetic as the 'Villain', the other feral rescuee in our home.

And despite having difficulty breathing, what appears to be a diminished mental capacity (hence the 'goldfish affectation), a pitiful meow, a pur that sounds like a muted Turkey call and fur that attracts and picks up every quarter sized partical in the house, he's absolutely fine.

Nothing amazes me more then the drive to survive.

Reactions: VanIsle and karrie

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Thanks for the wonderful story, Bear. The perfect way to start a Monday morning.:cool::smile::cool:

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
A great story, Bear! I love cats, and I'm so glad you helped this one survive! :smile:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Good on yez, Bear.:thumbup:

"Boretard"..........!!???

Why not "Lefty Asstard" ??

Or.........."Killer"??

Ya gotta admit that Boretard is sort of.......well.......boretard, yanno?

:lol::thumbright: Glad he's ok.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Well...

Two and a half years he fought his many ailments. He never did get any better at breathing, the one under developed lung just never did come around. He was perpetually sick, with a cold of sorts.

Sadly, he past away last night with the boys at hand. A fighter to the end.

I liked that he never let go of his ferrel roots and was always wily. Never lost for something to play with, he woke me many times in the wee hours. Playing with something on the hardwood floors in my office.

I think I miss him...

Last edited:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Well...

Two and a half years he fought his many ailments. He never did get any better at breathing, the one under developed lung just never did come around. He was perpetually sick, with a cold of sorts.

I liked that he never let go of his ferrel roots and was always wily. Never lost for something to play with, he woke me many times in the wee hours. Playing with something on the hardwood floors in my office.

I think I miss him...

There there big boy, there there. Cats get into everything including hearts.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Thanx Ron...

Gh just pointed out that my soft gooey side was showing...I may have to edit my post, lol.

Don't ya' dare. I "copy&pasted" a good chunk of this for an Email to a
Family Member who has recently lost her old dog. I know she'll get
some comfort from this. Thank you for sharing this.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Don't ya' dare. I "copy&pasted" a good chunk of this for an Email to a
Family Member who has recently lost her old dog. I know she'll get
some comfort from this. Thank you for sharing this.
Your quite welcome Ron. I know the feeling of the loss of a good dog. They're hard to come by and even harder to lose.

You gave him two-and-a-half years he wouldn't have had. Sometimes, just one more day makes you a saint. Cats have their ways....
Thanx Lone.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Well...

I think I miss him...
Thanks for sharing your story Bear. It's very sad. You were very good to take him in and look after him.:sad7: Of course you miss him and you will until you get past expecting to see him when you walk in the door.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Well...

I think I miss him...

At least he died surrounded by people who loved him.:-( Thank you for the update Bear, even though it was not a happy one.