What would you have done?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
.....The Bank of America money bag was lost March 11 by Brinks Armored truck drivers. The unmarked $20 bills were bundled into wads of $20,000 and bound for ATMs.

Long Beach police Sgt. Dina Zapalski said Estrada handed over the money bag to an officer who took a report at one of the landscaper's job sites.

Zapalski said she had never heard of someone turning in so much cash.

"I've had people come to me with purses and wallets with cash in it and they'll turn it in," Zapalski told the Los Angeles Times. "But not like this."

Hmmm.... nope... if the bag was there, I would have taken it and kept it. If someone asked how I came to possess so much money, I'd tell them I wasn't at liberty to say and that I'd have to kill them if I told them. He got 2 grand for making sure they never got bitten in the ass for so much missing by their own contracted transport company. It would have been insured I imagine and even if it was returned promptly, I'm pretty sure someone was fired over this.

Their official view would be that it was lost by Brinks and there wasn't much chance for it returning to their hands. They would have disiplined/fired those who were responsible for that transport and that would have probably been that.

I would have kept the bag sitting at home and every week gradually deposit the money into my account by different amounts to reduce chances of tracking. If the bank asked where all this was coming from I'd say from after school car washes in my bikini.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I really shouldn't even comment on this.....

but I would have turned it in......

and NOT EXPECTED a reward.

At the same time, he should have gotten 10%......the fact it was expected irritates me somewhat......

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
What a character test!!! Be honest, what would you have done?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...=mostpop_story
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you think the $2000 reward was fair?

Why should he get anything at all?

I think he should get something as how many people would have returned the money at all? It was not like the money had dye packs or any other way of determining if the money was "hot", and that person could have spent to their heart's content.

As for me, I would hope that I would return it. I will never know 100% unless it happens to me.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Hmmm.... nope... if the bag was there, I would have taken it and kept it. If someone asked how I came to possess so much money, I'd tell them I wasn't at liberty to say and that I'd have to kill them if I told them. He got 2 grand for making sure they never got bitten in the ass for so much missing by their own contracted transport company. It would have been insured I imagine and even if it was returned promptly, I'm pretty sure someone was fired over this.

Their official view would be that it was lost by Brinks and there wasn't much chance for it returning to their hands. They would have disiplined/fired those who were responsible for that transport and that would have probably been that.

I would have kept the bag sitting at home and every week gradually deposit the money into my account by different amounts to reduce chances of tracking. If the bank asked where all this was coming from I'd say from after school car washes in my bikini.

Here is the problem with that.........two individuals are now under suspicion of stealing that money, their careers are destroyed, they will probably be fired, the will no longer be bondable.......and that only after hours and hours of interogation, demands for polygraphs, and night after night of no sleep, punctuated by days of nausea, fear, and self-recrimination.

Don't forget the human factor.

Guess what I do for a living?

Last edited:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Here is the problem with that.........two individuals are now under suspicion of stealing that money, their careers are destroyed, they will probably be fired, the will no longer be bondable.......and that only after hours and hours of interogation, demands for polygraphs, and night after night of no sleep, puntuated by days of nausea, fear, and self-recrimination.

Don't forget the human factor.

Guess what I do for a living?

Ok, if they are considered suspects in stealing this money, why would they have thrown it on the street?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
It has nothing to do with the banks. lol.

I can't control other people in this world. I can't keep others from being greedy. But, I can stop myself from emulating the things I despise in others.

morals smorals. ;)

Think of how many times banks will rip you off in your life time, wouldn't it be nice to return the favour?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I'm too honest for my own good. I could sure use the cash, but mu conscience would skin me alive if I kept it. Hell, I tracked someone down because she dropped a hundred dollar bill on the floor of my cab....

Steve

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Colpy is an Armed guard!

I have no idea what I would do. I'd like to say turn it in, but hard to say when I'm actually standing there looking at that much cash. I could also say I'd take it, but paranoia might get the better of me, along with some common sense.

Best probability is I'd turn it in.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
morals smorals. ;)

Think of how many times banks will rip you off in your life time, wouldn't it be nice to return the favour?

Hey Durka, if you wanna rob banks, be my guest.....just don't do it while it is my job to stop you.

Believe me, my job does NOT make you a friend of the banks.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
If you kept it, how would anyone know it had been lost on the street?

It would, as far as Brinks is concerned, simply disappeared.

true, but the fact that this guy turned the money in would kinda indicate that the money was lost due to incompetence opposed to thievery?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Hey Durka, if you wanna rob banks, be my guest.....just don't do it while it is my job to stop you.

Believe me, my job does NOT make you a friend of the banks.

nah, no desire to rob banks or trucks. :x

Do you guys still carry those old revolvers or have you upgraded to semi-autos?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Colpy is an Armed guard!

I have no idea what I would do. I'd like to say turn it in, but hard to say when I'm actually standing there looking at that much cash. I could also say I'd take it, but paranoia might get the better of me, along with some common sense.

Best probability is I'd turn it in.

think of all the weed and eco-cruises you could go on Tonington, you could travel the seven seas like a king.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
true, but the fact that this guy turned the money in would kinda indicate that the money was lost due to incompetence opposed to thievery?

Absolutely.

But you handle dozens of bags like this a day, and it becomes not much different than handling bags of potatoes.......except people are willing to kill you for it.

Considering how many parcels are handled by these guys, it is a wonder this doesn't happen more often.....

Every guard misplaces, ships to the wrong place or loses a parcel at some point.........human nature.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

The point was that if he kept it, theivery on the behalf of the guards would be assumed, and they'd be unemployable in any job which required them to be bonded.