Chinese Students Angered

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada

Chinese students overseas, angered by distorted Western coverage of the recent riots in Tibet, have united to counter what they call "Western media hegemony".
They have set up a website, www.anti-cnn.com, to collect evidence of what they believe is one-sided and untrue Western reporting, and posted an open letter asking all Chinese to rise up against "the Western Goebbels' Nazi media", a reference to the Nazi-era propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels.
Meanwhile, Chinese students in Britain are calling on some 100,000 fellow students in the country to take part in a "29-Pence Action", the amount referring to the 29 pence it costs for ordinary mail.
They are urging each student to send a letter to British Prime Minister Gordon Brown asking him to cancel a scheduled meeting with the Dalai Lama, whom the Chinese government has accused of orchestrating the recent violence.
The anti-cnn.com website has so far collected nearly 20 pictures from leading global media organizations including CNN, the BBC and the Washington Post with untrue reports about Tibet.
"Some Western media, in the name of freedom of the press, have long relentlessly denigrated developing countries to achieve their hidden objectives. They have gone to the extreme in mixing right with wrong, black with white, and fabricating rumors," the website said.
Reports in the West on Tibet have fully revealed their "vicious" nature, it said, asking netizens to send all evidence available, either pictures or text in any language, to discredit the Western media.
The open letter, widely posted in online forums, said: "The Chinese nation, peace-loving, refined and cultivated, has long swallowed humiliation and submitted to insults. It can no longer be a silent lamb." It asked all Chinese to send protest letters, faxes and e-mails to Western media organizations asking them to apologize for their false reports.
"Only through our efforts can we protect our rights, let the West hear our voice, and safeguard the image of China and national reunification."
Two German news organizations have already apologized after being accused of distorting facts in covering the Lhasa riots.
German news television N-TV on Monday admitted that a picture and a video sequence it used on March 20 in a report about the riots had actually been taken in Nepal. It said the images were replaced after editors noticed the error. "We are terribly sorry," said an N-TV spokesman in Colgone.
On Sunday, another German television, RTL, also admitted on its website that it "used a picture in a wrong context".
In Britain, the students said in a letter that a meeting with the Dalai Lama will "send a wrong signal to British people", and hurt the feelings of 1.3 billion Chinese.
"No one will believe that those who waved knives and clubs at innocent citizens, who burnt them to death, who robbed stores, represent peace and justice," wrote Evita, an organizer.
(英语点津 Helen 编辑)
About the broadcaster:
Brendan joined The China Daily in 2007 as a language polisher in the Language Tips Department, where he writes a regular column for Chinese English Language learners, reads audio news for listeners and anchors the weekly video news in addition to assisting with on location stories. Elsewhere he writes Op’Ed pieces with a China focus that feature in the Daily’s Website opinion section.
He received his B.A. and Post Grad Dip from Curtin University in 1997 and his Masters in Community Development and Management from Charles Darwin University in 2003. He has taught in Japan, England, Australia and most recently China. His articles have featured in the Bangkok Post, The Taipei Times, The Asia News Network and in-flight magazines.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
China

So with a standing army of some two hundred million and sophisticated weapons cpable of downing space platforms, why doesn't China just squash the bug of Tibet?

Bad for business perhaps?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:lol:In Britain, the students said in a letter that a meeting with the Dalai Lama will "send a wrong signal to British people", and hurt the feelings of 1.3 billion Chinese

:cry:awwwwwwwwwwwwww

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
China:

Imagine this:

Western students and visitors to China band together to protest......they put out banners, they claim the Chinese media is biased and controled by the State, and that it tells mostly lies about Tibet.

What would happen?

Tell us please.

Then tell us what has happened to the Chinese students, guests in the West, who have decided to vioviously attack our media.

Tell us please.

Then think about who reacts better.

Then think about who is lying.

Then think about which media is State controled, like that of the Nazis.

Then apologize, and STFU!

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
China:

Imagine this:

Western students and visitors to China band together to protest......they put out banners, they claim the Chinese media is biased and controled by the State, and that it tells mostly lies about Tibet.

What would happen?

Tell us please.

Then tell us what has happened to the Chinese students, guests in the West, who have decided to vioviously attack our media.

Tell us please.

Then think about who reacts better.

Then think about who is lying.

Then think about which media is State controled, like that of the Nazis.

Then apologize, and STFU!

Hey men, I haven't written the post ,just placed it.Whether I believe in it or not makes no difference .Just trying to show to all of you that there are two sides of the coin.
Obviously your conditioned brain rejects a different point of view .I,m glad you live in Canada , with your attitude you wouldn't make it anywhere else .

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Hey men, I haven't written the post ,just placed it.Whether I believe in it or not makes no difference .Just trying to show to all of you that there are two sides of the coin.
Obviously your conditioned brain rejects a different point of view .I,m glad you live in Canada , with your attitude you wouldn't make it anywhere else .

Yes, in Tibet there are two sides to the coin.....Fascism under the Chinese, or self-determination.

I'm conditioned?

It is to laugh.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Copy ,

Yes, in Tibet there are two sides to the coin.....Fascism under the Chinese, or self-determination.
Again very assertive statement Copy ;have you ever lived /bin there ?

I'm conditioned?
It is to laugh.
Yeap ,and very defensive too.But not to worry Copy;most of us are conditioned .But there is a simple way to un-condition your mind..

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006

Exactly, disagreeing with the thoughts of other people is a very dangerous concept. Perhaps someday free will can be allowed to flourish elsewhere.

There really aren't two good sides to Chinese Colonialism (which is what this is) anymore than there were too good sides of the coin to any other nations colonialism.

Japanese Colonialism in China really built up the industry, especially in Manchuko, would you consider it needed to write in the good things Japan did in colonizing China?

Im going to assume you'll say no, so why is there a need to glorify what China does in colonizing Tibet?

From a practical standpoint,

China can deal with it. Tough nuggies.

The more powerful you become, the more everything you do is reported negatively.

Tinpot dictators can support genocide and blame their actions on superpowers.
Middlepowers (like China) get blamed when they do something wrong (like now)
Superpowers (Like the USA and China soon enough) get harassed even when they do something right, or even when they just don't get involved..everything is their fault and an evil conspiracy.

Soon China can join those ranks.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I second that notion while questioning whether Tibetans actually approve of China's presence in their country.

It is hard to know. The Tibetans have been "liberated" but the validity of that liberation depends solely on the occupied countries peoples perception of whether they are being liberated or occupied. The occupier, no matter the intention, can't make that determination. They can claim they are liberators or oppressors but the reality can only be determined by the actual people either being liberated or oppressed. I really wish we had a free press so we could know. I think it would be an error to support either side at this point because we really don't know how the Tibetans feel (on whole). We have a very good idea of how the Tibetan religious elite feel but then those are the people from whom the Tibetans were freed (maybe). Also the Tibetans might be happy to see the elite gone but upset they were only replaced by a Chinese elite, which in my opinion would be a credible gripe. It would also make sense if the Tibetans were upset about losing their country, that is their self determination, but then again China is a pretty good country to join and they might not be very upset about that at all.

I suppose if China wants to support its idea that Tibet is better off without its old elite they should have a referendum on the subject and ask the Tibetans. That would prove to the world the reality either way. Unfortunately I don't think communists would like that idea.

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Here's a question:

What exactly is so important or great about Tibet or Taiwan for that matter? Is all this BS, protests, riots, continual bad rep and all that other hasseling crap really worth the ocupation of those Countries/States/Whatever you want to refer to them as?

With all this hassel, wouldn't it just save time and money for China to tell them "Fine, Piss off Eh!" and focus more on the rest of China?

I mean, eventually they'll either start complaining and moaning about their new freedom, having no major support, having to start off from square one again, that they'd be bickering to get support back from China in the first place, or some other nearby country, due to being dependant for so long.

Like here in Canada with Quebec.... there's a select few who want to seperate from Canada. I'm at the point now where I'd just rather say "Fine, Piss off Eh!" and pull all support, all our military and equipment, resources and such from Quebec and leave them to developing their new freedoms and country. But of course that'd be a tad difficult once all support is cut off and their about as isolated as Alaska from the rest of the world.

I imagine they could trade with the US (Like that's a smart idea ~ they'd suck Quebec for all their worth.)

Drop Tibet & Taiwan and continue focusing on your military muscle.... think of all the money and resources you'd save by not throwing them into these reluctant two?

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Praxius

As any good capitalist will tell you, once you've managed to build a monopoly of some kind and import slavery to round out production, some namby-pamby limp-wristed liberal will have koniption-fits about your success. These weak-minded do-gooders will sow the seeds of malcontent and beerhall overthrows will erupt. It only makes sense to offer the people who've your actions have throw off their land good paying jobs in the ordinance and armoured vehicle industry. With proper conditioning it will be only a short time before the "urgent necessity" of industrial production for the goal "protecting our great society" will expand to include aircraft, battleships and weapons of mass destruction.

Of course the liberals can't manage sufficient willpower and demonstrate significant solidarity of purpose to raise any challenge to the power-brokerage you've erected around the few nabobs that now run your nation so you need a "crisis" or two to re-energize the "urgent necessity"....

This can happen any number of ways, like a policy of "regime change" wherein you supply arms to "revolutionaries" to creat juntas and attempt coups then you respond to the "urgent necessity" or "appeal" to "OH Please great and wise wealthy overlords save us save us..." and deploy cruise missile destroyers and stealth bombers into the region....

If all this sounds somewhat familiar it's the story of fascism as practiced by western democracies since og patented the wheel....:)

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Here's a question:

What exactly is so important or great about Tibet or Taiwan for that matter? Is all this BS, protests, riots, continual bad rep and all that other hasseling crap really worth the ocupation of those Countries/States/Whatever you want to refer to them as?

With all this hassel, wouldn't it just save time and money for China to tell them "Fine, Piss off Eh!" and focus more on the rest of China?

I mean, eventually they'll either start complaining and moaning about their new freedom, having no major support, having to start off from square one again, that they'd be bickering to get support back from China in the first place, or some other nearby country, due to being dependant for so long.

Like here in Canada with Quebec.... there's a select few who want to seperate from Canada. I'm at the point now where I'd just rather say "Fine, Piss off Eh!" and pull all support, all our military and equipment, resources and such from Quebec and leave them to developing their new freedoms and country. But of course that'd be a tad difficult once all support is cut off and their about as isolated as Alaska from the rest of the world.

I imagine they could trade with the US (Like that's a smart idea ~ they'd suck Quebec for all their worth.)

Drop Tibet & Taiwan and continue focusing on your military muscle.... think of all the money and resources you'd save by not throwing them into these reluctant two?

I'm in support of Quebec separation in that I'm curious what would happen. It would really put Canada's high and mighty attitude to the test.

I remember when it looked like it might happen. Ottawa changed the map on Quebec claiming they had no call for native lands. In one of the most hypocritical moves of all time Quebec was presented with a map where their new countries boarders would really be. Quebec was left with a territory a little larger than a postage stamp.

Now that the US can legally invade Canada in the event of crisis would they jump in? Probably IMO since they never seem able to mind their own business.

What of France too. They came close to aggressions toward Canada already over this issue once so it seems likely they would again.

No, I think it would be a great mess but it would knock our argent sense of self righteousness and entitlement down a notch or three.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
"I suppose if China wants to support its idea that Tibet is better off without its old elite they should have a referendum on the subject and ask the Tibetans."

You must have been reading my mind. A referendum or plebiscite will solve it all.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
To be fair, those Lands never were Quebec lands, they were given to Quebec to Administer for Canada.

Its like saying if Ontario seperated we should get the territories because they are administered from Ottawa.