Consistancy on Internation Law and Policy...

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Geezus, it's amazing how people pick and choose what particular International policy they will or will not support. Usually decided by their political swing, or ideology.

Consistency is a good thing. It might stop the headaches and necks aches if you stopped whip lashing your opinions by your ideologies.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
hmmm.... while I feel you're talking about basic hypocrisy, sometimes having a certain ideology doesn't mean that we can make all situations fit it, or that all will make us follow that ideology. Very few things in life fall into a black and white categorization.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Law is Law...If you stomp your feet over someone breaching one, why is it OK to break another?

Having an hypocracy is one thing, but to be blatantly biased and disingenuous is another.

I've seen the same people scream about UN resolutions for years, now they're looking the other way, because it suits them.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The devil is in the details, and like a 'zero tolerance' policy, applying strict rules with no thought to the nuances is the simple route for people who don't want to think, and results in some pretty strange occurences.

IE, since Canada has recognized Kosovo, by that reasoning we have no reason to object if Quebec votes for independence. Since we are allies of the US, must we hate Cuba? Since we are subjects of the Queen, must we do whatever Great Britain does?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Do you want the true answer, or the politically correct one?

9 times out of 10, it's ethnocentricity at work.

"It's okay for us to bend the rules, because we know our intention isn't evil. But them.... they can't bend the rules, because they're shady characters."

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The devil is in the details, and like a 'zero tolerance' policy, applying strict rules with no thought to the nuances is the simple route for people who don't want to think, and results in some pretty strange occurences.
LOL...

Ya it's that simple when something as complex and binding as the Helsinki Accords and the UN Charter are tossed aside like yesterdays news paper.

IE, since Canada has recognized Kosovo, by that reasoning we have no reason to object if Quebec votes for independence. Since we are allies of the US, must we hate Cuba? Since we are subjects of the Queen, must we do whatever Great Britain does?
Huh?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Geezus, it's amazing how people pick and choose what particular International policy they will or will not support. Usually decided by their political swing, or ideology.

Consistency is a good thing. It might stop the headaches and necks aches if you stopped whip lashing your opinions by your ideologies.

Are you seriously still crying about this?

Hey, how about this, have you ever once considered you are wrong or has your ideology got in the way of that?

What a joke you are.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Are you seriously still crying about this?
Crying about what? I didn't want to hijack a thread about Cretins blathering's.

Hey, how about this, have you ever once considered you are wrong or has your ideology got in the way of that?
Really, now we're back to my ideology again? You still don't know what my ideology is Avro. You've called me everything from a Commie to a Neocon. Inferred I'm genetically inferior, a drunk, what else can you dig deep to throw at me, huh?

And no I'm not wrong. I've posted the links to the Helsinki Accords, the UN Charter (Based on the Helsinki Accords when it comes to Territorial integrity and sovereignty) and the UN Resolution that ended the bombing of Serbia. It has nothing to do with my ideology, it has everything to do with facts. It seems it's people like you that harp on about Laws, when it suits your ideology. Laws are laws...period.

Now back to the topic at hand. If you didn't understand the OP, then just ask for clarification.

People who whine about one set of international laws being breached, seem ok that several are in breach in other situations. Then we have the grey area or 'special' or 'unique' situation analogies brought up. Then can the same logic be applied to other cases where international laws or treaties are being breached?

And does that have to be within your ideology, to be acceptable?

What a joke you are.
If I'm the joke hun, you'ld be the punch line and not a very good one at that...now grow up, this isn't wreck beach.

Last edited:

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Problems with Kosovo recognition TheStar.com - Columnist - Problems with Kosovo recognition
March 20, 2008
Thomas Walkom

At one level, Ottawa's decision to recognize Kosovo is a non-issue. Backed by the muscle of NATO, the ethnic Albanian majority that dominates the statelet is clearly in charge. In purely practical terms, therefore, it makes sense to deal with those running this particular piece of Balkan real estate. We may not approve of the way Kosovars achieved independence (this argument goes), but they are there and must be dealt with.
That is the practical viewpoint. And it would indeed make sense if Stephen Harper's Conservatives – like, say, those of former prime minister Brian Mulroney – conducted their foreign affairs on a purely practical basis.
But they do not. This Prime Minister has insisted on injecting what he calls a moral element into foreign policy – which, in diplomatic terms, means he will deal only with governments he approves of.
Which is why Harper will not deal with Hamas, even though it is a legitimately elected government controlling the Gaza Strip.
However, injecting morality into politics carries risks. Ottawa's formal recognition of Kosovo (backed by the Liberal opposition) means more than a simple acknowledgement of facts on the ground. It also means that Canada approves of the province's unilateral declaration of independence – a declaration that offends not only the Serbian constitution but the United Nations.
And when gleeful Quebec separatists say this sets a precedent for their province to unilaterally secede, they are right. In international relations, precedents do matter – which is why Spain, Indonesia and China, all countries with their own separatist movements, have so far not recognized Kosovo.
Certainly, there is no simple answer to the Kosovo problem. NATO's 1999 invasion, while designed to prevent what some feared might be a wholesale slaughter of Kosovar Albanians, succeeded only in replacing one form of oppression with another.
Before 1999, ethnic Albanians were the victims; after the invasion, ethnic Serbs took their place.
Yet it's worth remembering that NATO received international approval for this invasion only by promising not to dismember Serbia. As Charles Simic writes in the latest New York Review of Books, that promise was revealed as hollow when the U.S. began building a giant military base in Kosovo. Albanian Kosovars, he writes, realized quickly that with Washington on side they would never have to accommodate either Serbia or the Serb minority in their own province.
And so they did not. Any resolution short of separation was forestalled. Last month's unilateral declaration of independence became inevitable.
The loss of Kosovo has further demoralized Serbia, shaken its efforts to join Europe and invigorated xenophobes. It may be true that most Serbs have no interest in even visiting the country's so-called Kosovo heartland. That does not mean that its loss is without cost. The cliché "Balkan powder keg" exists for a reason.
For Canada, recognition of Kosovo's right to secede means two things. First, we are turning our backs on the UN and on very specific commitments that we and other NATO countries made not to dismember Serbia. Second, we are lending our imprimatur to any ethnically based province that decides to unilaterally break away from a larger state.
Harper says the Kosovo situation is unique. Bob Rae, the newly recycled Toronto Liberal MP calls this precedent argument so preposterous that it is "an insult to the intelligence." Would that they were right. Unfortunately, they are not.

http://www.thestar.com/Canada/Columnist/article/348034

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Did you just miss this in your seething froth to post that...

There's already a thread for that post you made. I guess you missed that AA meeting eh?

So what?

The article deals with what you are whining about as well as dealing with Mr. Cretiens accuracies that you swiftly poo pooed but failed to defend so you ran here.

Hey if you want me to go away just ignore what I say, dosen't matter to me cowboy.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
So what?

The article deals with what you are whining about as well as dealing with Mr. Cretiens accuracies that you swiftly poo pooed but failed to defend so you ran here.

Hey if you want me to go away just ignore what I say, dosen't matter to me cowboy.

Face it, you got schooled on International Law by someone you see as genetically inferior, and you just can't hack it eh racist?