Does anyone inforce Labour Laws?

jjaycee98
No overtime for 12 hours of work? No coffee break or Lunch when there is a period of high stress. This is the BC Interior not the Copper Mines of Bolivia.

How come there is no means of checking up on employers. Workers should not have to lose their jobs and get Blacklisted for asking that their employer obey the Law.

Zzarchov
I agree, but the practicality while ensuring fairness is a problem.

I think some form of system where after so many strikes (3 we'll say) an employer is no longer allowed to have employees, if its a corporation, perhaps the managers as well.

Tonington
I wasn't paid overtime last summer in my job either, 12 hours every day. You could always ask the Labour board. Ask for their advice.

darkbeaver
Labour board! This is an orwellian title. Unless labourers run it, it is not of, by or for labour. The missing word is control, as in The Labour Control Board. Which of course translates into it's actual meaning and function, The Corporate Control of Labour Board. cha-ching cha-ching double plus good. Winston, you've become very important to the firm, we've decided to trust you with eight more hours of work a day on your own initiative, here let me pat your empty head. Just a few more months and I'm sure the head office will notice your dedication. Your just the sort the firm rewards.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

I wasn't paid overtime last summer in my job either, 12 hours every day. You could always ask the Labour board. Ask for their advice.

So how much did they screw you out of? ding-a-ling cha-ching cha-ching That's O/K I'm sure they'll let you work 16 hours a day this summer to make your losses.

Unforgiven
If working conditions are so bad, invite a union in to organize the work force.

Tonington
About $1200, and I don't plan on working for them again

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

About $1200, and I don't plan on working for them again

You're smart, but still short, the cost of education eh. That investment will pay.

Tonington
I'm counting on it Beav. Oh, for the record I'm not short. If they paid me less for my height I'd sue their @sses.

Kreskin
My understanding is if you have worked at a company for less than 1 year no one will look at your complaint. If you do file a complaint and have worked for more than a year they will investigate. I would suggest finding a new employer rather than go through that mess. Ultimately employers need to treat people well to retain them. That's what should ultimately regulate any industry.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

My understanding is if you have worked at a company for less than 1 year no one will look at your complaint. If you do file a complaint and have worked for more than a year they will investigate. I would suggest finding a new employer rather than go through that mess. Ultimately employers need to treat people well to retain them. That's what should ultimately regulate any industry.

So you recommend capitulation eh. Ultimately employers need to ensure a high level of unemployment, then they can treat the wotkers anyway they like. Ya find a new employer, they're are sweeties out there just waiting for you to show up so they can roll out the red carpet for ya.

Pangloss
Quote: Originally Posted by jjaycee98View Post

No overtime for 12 hours of work? No coffee break or Lunch when there is a period of high stress. This is the BC Interior not the Copper Mines of Bolivia.

How come there is no means of checking up on employers. Workers should not have to lose their jobs and get Blacklisted for asking that their employer obey the Law.

Could you provide some more information?

Yes, you could go to the Labour Board, and you could get yourself a labour lawyer; it just might be worth it. The ethical ones don't charge for the first meeting where they tell you what they could do for you, given your circumstances.

Stand up for your rights, even if you lose - at least you did the right thing. Nowadays, that ain't no small accomplishment.

Pangloss

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

So you recommend capitulation eh. Ultimately employers need to ensure a high level of unemployment, then they can treat the wotkers anyway they like. Ya find a new employer, they're are sweeties out there just waiting for you to show up so they can roll out the red carpet for ya.

DB, if you opened a business would you be a card carrying member of the capitalist mega military industrial complex, or would you like to open the doors and have staff serve your clients well? You might find it harder than you think to get good help, causing you to break with ranks and do the unthinkable, like nice things for your employees. Revolutionary, isn't it?

Colpy
Quote: Originally Posted by jjaycee98View Post

No doubt, Dark Beaver is at least partially correct in his cynicism........

I've fought with employers so much....

Often OT laws are based on the week's work, not the day's. In other words, you have no right to OT until after 44 hours in a week...........also, in NB, OT is based on the minimum wage.....you must be paid 1 and 1/2 times the MINIMUM WAGE for OT.....in other words, if the minimum wage is $8 per hour, and you make $12 per hour, FORGET legally mandated OT.

The break think is outrageous.....write a letter to your labour board, send a copy to your employer....keep a copy.

I am assuming BC labour laws mandate a break at least every 6 hours........