Anti-kosher view = Antisemitic?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Okay, I have to ask. We have the thread running right now in which a new member is complaining about having to pay for kosher food as it is so prevalent where he lives in Montreal. He doesn't want his hard earned dollars going to a religious organization without his having consented to it, and without him having what he perceives as a reasonable choice in the matter.

Because of this view, he is being accused of antisemitism.

Yet, this view is not much different from the views I've heard expressed on here regarding money potentially going to christian churches or organizations in sneaky underhanded ways. And the people expressing these views aren't always 'against' religion, or against christians. They just don't want to be supporting something which is of no direct benefit to them personally. We all want to hold onto as many pennies for ourselves as possible, or have a direct say in where we put them.

So what is it SPECIFICALLY that makes it different, makes it okay to lay a blame of 'antisemitic'?

jimshort19

Electoral Member
Nov 24, 2007
Zurich
Karrie, "Yet, this view is not much different from the views I've heard expressed on here regarding money potentially going to christian churches or organizations in sneaky underhanded ways."

In sneaky and underhanded ways? You have disqualified your own comparator.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
there's nothing anti-semetic specifically about anti-kosher views.

However, the way this fellow was presenting his views definitely gave me the impression he had a thinly-veiled stupidly-disguised and frankly really annoying agenda.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
And maybe that in itself is what we should be examining. How have we been trained to go there immeadiatly, I have done it unawares all my life, and I know many others are senseative to the same conditioning.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
'Semite' refers to people and 'semitic' to culture and languages of the middle east... a wide assortment. Anti-semitism is however, the widely accepted term for a view which is against Jewish peoples specifically. While the two don't directly apply to one another, it's English. What else in it makes perfect sense? I'm not about to start making up new terms because the ones society uses now are odd.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
'Semite' refers to people and 'semitic' to culture and languages of the middle east... a wide assortment. Anti-semitism is however, the widely accepted term for a view which is against Jewish peoples specifically. While the two don't directly apply to one another, it's English. What else in it makes perfect sense? I'm not about to start making up new terms because the ones society uses now are odd.

The term isn't odd ... it's the little-minds who adopted the word without knowing it's meaning - much like they who deride free thinking people as conspiracist or dismiss folks who don't believe as them as tin-hatters. People, eh? Living proof that God has a sense of humour....

Woof!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Actually anti-semitism has its roots in Zionism I believe, anti-Judaic is what is meant but anti-semite is what we have, while most Jews are in fact not members of the semitic race but eastern european for the most part I believe. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Actually anti-semitism has its roots in Zionism I believe, anti-Judaic is what is meant but anti-semite is what we have, while most Jews are in fact not members of the semitic race but eastern european for the most part I believe. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

I don't think you're wrong.... being nitpicky and skewing the point, yes, but not wrong.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
The word Kosher now....isn't that a Yiddish word? And who speaks Yiddish?

Well actually Yiddish is "high-German" but the dialect spoken by Jews is a vernacular usage. Hebrew isn't Yiddish but does anyone know the etiology of "kosher"..? I believe it has something to do with Jewish dietary law.....

So is the focus on the costs superimposed on everyone to meet the requirements of one particular religious cult or is it as has been batted around about these parts a subtle form of racism?

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
He has a reasonable choice, you cannot tell me that he can go to the largest shopping centre in Montreal and walk out with nothing because it's all Kosher that in no uncertain terms is crap - let's not get bogged down with semetic semantics