why i have to pay more for kosher

krakra

Jan 2, 2008
hi,,,

i dont know why i have to pay more for my food to be kosher certified
(blessed by a rabbin).

you can check the signs of the koshered food on the attached pic.

thanks for answering.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
my guess is it's more expensive because you're paying an extra person that isn't involved in the preparation of non kosher food. Plus, it's not in as high a demand in all areas. But that's just a guess.

I know that living where I do most of the halal meats are cheaper than conventional western butcher store meats, and I suspect that the high demand from the large Muslim community is the reason.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I have never heard of food that is certified blessed by a rabbi. Ya learn something every day.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
you pretty well nailed it on the head Karrie. It would be a combination of the 2. I know that I worked for an egg distrubuting company that had to pay a rabbi to come in and inspect some products to be able to call it "kosher". This added to the cost of the product and was passed on up the line.

krakra

Jan 2, 2008
hi ,,,
my friends, please check on your food products the signs i have included in the pic. and you will find that almost 80% of your food is kosher (blessed and certified by a rabbin).
why i have to pay a rabbin to bless my food ????????

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Oh... so you're NOT eating kosher, and you're upset that you're paying extra to meet the religious needs of others? Well, again... if 80% of the food is kosher, it's a supply and demand issue. Obviously there is a demand for such a high percentage of food to be kosher. If you don't want to pay the extra, you can be picky and sort through for food that isn't kosher.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
hi ,,,
my friends, please check on your food products the signs i have included in the pic. and you will find that almost 80% of your food is kosher (blessed and certified by a rabbin).
why i have to pay a rabbin to bless my food ????????

just went through my cupboards and very little has a kosher designation.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
you pretty well nailed it on the head Karrie. It would be a combination of the 2. I know that I worked for an egg distrubuting company that had to pay a rabbi to come in and inspect some products to be able to call it "kosher". This added to the cost of the product and was passed on up the line.

That's what I've heard from those in the food biz.

Three years ago I visited a former student of my college prof, and he owned a smoke house that specialized in sea food products. It cost him a significant amount of money to change his production to meet the demands of the Kosher market. But he wasn't complaining, it opened his company up to $10 million in new contracts. The production costs weren't much of a barrier for his new customers, but he lost other customers due to the changes in prices. His operation was too small to run different products like that. Anyways, he was smiling.

krakra

Jan 2, 2008
all the question is :
kosher foods are for jewish people (my respect to them) , and i am not jewish . why i have to pay extra for something i did not ask for.
Mr. gerryh , when you go to a big mall , try to see the percentage of koshered foods, you will find that it is the majority.
i think that jewish are around 2% of canadian people , it will be fair to have around this figure as koshered foods.
thanks

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
See the Rabbis have to test each product to make sure there isn't any pork/pig, etc. So they have to lick and taste the surface of each product and then they bless it and wrap it back up again.

But that's why it costs more, because it takes time for them to lick each product and make sure there's no bacon by-product, and that slows the production/shipment, because if they make too much as they can, it'll go bad before the Rabbi can lick them all. So to slow the sale and consumption of the product they also raise the prices.

Or so I was told.

krakra

Jan 2, 2008
hi,,,
the process of how they do it ,is not the question . the real question is that this checking (blessing) is mainly intended for the respected jewish people.
but i am not jewish and the same is for the 98% of other canadians.
why we have to pay a rabbin to check our foods.
i need an answer friends.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Contrary to popular myth, Kosher does not mean it was blessed by a Rabbi. There are people from the certifying bodies that will visit your production facilities from time to time for inspection, but that is to ensure that the preparation of the foods is in line with the Jewish law that deals with food.

Think of it this way, it's aolt like HACAAP, the standard for food safety, only Kosher certification is more stringent.

Old testament laws over which foods are safe to eat were basically food safety. Kosher is no different. Tools used in meat production can't be used for dairy, that's just sanitary, and it should be common sense. It's like biosecurity for food, and it's a good idea. Pay cheaper if you want, or can find it. Personally, I like my food inspected for bugs and contaminants.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
It's only reasonable that everyone pay for the Israeli state..... one way or another....

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
We have to invent a variant of Godwin's Law to describe how quickly someone will turn any discussion of anything Jewish into a discussion of Israel.

Pangloss

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
Actually a rabbi does indeed bless the food , but that is only part of it he also inspects the way that the goods are processed so that they are of the highest hygenic standards-I'm not jewish but i'll eat kosher when available.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Does 'rabbi = rabin'? Seriously, never heard of "rabin" before. But then there's lotsastuff what bees unown to me.

That job's gotta be hard on the tongue, official kosher meat-licker. But then, once one's tongue is just a slab of muscle, there must be other avenues of employment which would assist in garnering an income. Ya think?!8O

Yowser.

Tony's abattoir and dog food rendering company is definitely not kosher, but he puts up a mean steak, num num. Plus the prices is low. Gimme a call you need meat ok?

Whasthefussanyways? You don't like kosher, don't buy it. Youse do, pay the small premium and enjoy..........:roll: Gotta keep the red red rabins in business eh!
whatever.

:cool:

krakra

Jan 2, 2008
hi,,,
i dont mind if the rabi or rabbin bless,lick , certify ,check ......or whatever he wants to do but it must done for the people that he represents, and i dont have to pay him for this (i dont ask him to do it) there is other authorities who are paid by my taxes who are allowed to do it for me.
i can give you only one figure (20 millions of dollars are done annually by only one organisation of rabbins to kosher the food).
for the man who tells me that i can buy other than kosher if i dont want it , i can assure you that i have tried ,but unfortunately i found that almost everything is koshered ,even the dish cleaner!.
if this is not logical , i must be from another world.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I know when I go to the grocery store, meats are clearly labeled Halal or Kosher, separate from what the gentiles eat.

krakra

Jan 2, 2008
clearly ?????

whenthere is a small K,MK,U COR.............. on your food ,how you know that this is a koshered intended for a man represented by a rabbin who certified his food.
there is over 400 organisations who are allowed to kosher and everyone has its own label.